ACC Discussion 2019-20

Deleted member 2897

With all the talk of who might be our next coach, I wonder which ACC coaches have done a better job in 2020 that Pastner. I bet the list is very short.

If Syracuse loses to Miami and we beat Clemson to finish alone at 5th in the ACC...winning 6 of our last 7 and 8 of our last 10, I wonder how many votes he gets for ACC Coach of the Year. That would give him Coach of the Year 50% of his tenure here...yet be on the hot seat. :D

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To me their is only 1 candidate for ACC CoY - Mike Young at VT. That team has no business being anywhere but the bottom of the conference with their current roster. He's done an amazing job their this season.

Deleted member 2897

To me their is only 1 candidate for ACC CoY - Mike Young at VT. That team has no business being anywhere but the bottom of the conference with their current roster. He's done an amazing job their this season.

Well, they are 1 win ahead of last place. :D

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO Pastner did some things very well this year, especially pertaining to keeping things together after the rough start without Jose, and with getting the team to finish games in the back half of conference play.

That being said, I don't see this year as a CoY level year. In year 1 I thought he got pretty close to the max he could in terms of wins out of that team (in conference mind you). This year I don't think that's the case. I think this team could have competed for the 4th spot, and while we could finish 5th, there is a big divide between 4th and 5th this year. That doesn't mean that I think he did a bad job. I think he did a lot to give us reasons to be optimistic going forward and reasons to believe he could be a long term solution for us (could be mind you). But I don't see CoY levels.

That being said I think the coach who did the best this year was Bennett. Given what they lost to even have a chance at finishing 1st (tied for) with 1 game left is pretty remarkable. I don't think he'll win it just because he's won it 4 of the last 6 years but man I don't think you can convince me anyone in the ACC did better than him, especially with how they have been playing later in the year.

Deleted member 2897

IMO Pastner did some things very well this year, especially pertaining to keeping things together after the rough start without Jose, and with getting the team to finish games in the back half of conference play.

That being said, I don't see this year as a CoY level year. In year 1 I thought he got pretty close to the max he could in terms of wins out of that team (in conference mind you). This year I don't think that's the case. I think this team could have competed for the 4th spot, and while we could finish 5th, there is a big divide between 4th and 5th this year. That doesn't mean that I think he did a bad job. I think he did a lot to give us reasons to be optimistic going forward and reasons to believe he could be a long term solution for us (could be mind you). But I don't see CoY levels.

That being said I think the coach who did the best this year was Bennett. Given what they lost to even have a chance at finishing 1st (tied for) with 1 game left is pretty remarkable. I don't think he'll win it just because he's won it 4 of the last 6 years but man I don't think you can convince me anyone in the ACC did better than him, especially with how they have been playing later in the year.

Yep, I was being Devil's Advocate (hopefully not in a d*ckish kind of way). I'm obviously biased for Georgia Tech, but I wouldn't vote for Pastner either.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the obvious COY is ol' Roy. He turned a ragtag group of 4 and 5 star backups into a dynamic squad that (probably) isn't going to finish in last place.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the obvious COY is ol' Roy. He turned a ragtag group of 4 and 5 star backups into a dynamic squad that (probably) isn't going to finish in last place.
What’s funny to me is those went on a 6-1 run to open the season. Why are they “a bad team” all of a sudden. Sure they experienced some injuries but I think good ol’ Roy took a step back this year and not cause of his talent.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
What’s funny to me is those went on a 6-1 run to open the season. Why are they “a bad team” all of a sudden. Sure they experienced some injuries but I think good ol’ Roy took a step back this year and not cause of his talent.
Roy is a fantastic coach of top-tier talent. That's not as common a skill as you might think.
I'm not sure he's a very good coach of merely above average talent.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Roy is a fantastic coach of top-tier talent. That's not as common a skill as you might think.
I'm not sure he's a very good coach of merely above average talent.
Good point. It’s not easy at all. Case and point Brad Stevens HC for the Boston Celtics

Deleted member 2897

Finished 5th in the ACC. Won 6 of our last 7 and 8 of last 10. Tonight’s road win bumped our KenPom up like 5 to 65. Whatever their formula is makes no sense. How do you win 8 of 10 and move up only 20 spots.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Finished 5th in the ACC. Won 6 of our last 7 and 8 of last 10. Tonight’s road win bumped our KenPom up like 5 to 65. Whatever their formula is makes no sense. How do you win 8 of 10 and move up only 20 spots.
It's a predictor that takes into account strength of opponent. If you perform as expected, you don't move up or down in KenPom. For example, we were expected to beat Miami by 5.5 or so, and we won by 6, so we don't move up. Our combined offense and defense performed as expected given the opponent.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson was 15-14 (9-10 ACC) with a ranking of 67 and the two announcers swore they were still an option for the tournament. They must have mentioned it 20 x’s. I was like Bro, they ain’t making the tournament!! It was driving me mad..lol

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Clemson was 15-14 (9-10 ACC) with a ranking of 67 and the two announcers swore they were still an option for the tournament. They must have mentioned it 20 x’s. I was like Bro, they ain’t making the tournament!! It was driving me mad..lol
Felt like I was watching a two loss SEC team playing in November and they’re trying to force the narrative they should be a CFP team. It was beyond pitiful

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Felt like I was watching a two loss SEC team playing in November and they’re trying to force the narrative they should be a CFP team. It was beyond pitiful
That’s a really analogy. That’s exactly what it was like. The one time they showed the graphic of resume comparisons that ended up being Clemson, Rutgers, and Michigan, and they were acting like the Clemson resume was something of note was laughable.

Literally, they beat FSU, Duke, and Louisville. Beyond that, they weren’t all that impressive this year.

Deleted member 2897

It's a predictor that takes into account strength of opponent. If you perform as expected, you don't move up or down in KenPom. For example, we were expected to beat Miami by 5.5 or so, and we won by 6, so we don't move up. Our combined offense and defense performed as expected given the opponent.

Yea, that’s why I don’t like it. You could not beat the spread (effectively) but still win, go 30-0, and be ranked 50th.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, that’s why I don’t like it. You could not beat the spread (effectively) but still win, go 30-0, and be ranked 50th.
Only circumstance where that could happen is by playing a SWAC-only schedule.

If you are expected to beat Kansas, Baylor, Gonzaga, etc. and you do, whether or not it is by the expected margin, you will be rated higher than those teams.

The KenPom spread is calculated based on strength of the teams participating.