ACC Discussion 2019-20

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree Banks doesn't have good hands - then why do you start the year with him as a primary playmaker at the high post?

This is the great mystery of the season and the primary reason for the disappointing season, IMO. If we start the preseason practices playing the offense we are currently running one would expect we'd be better at it by now.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Looks like Duke beat Carolina twice. That loss may wreck whatever they had left this season. Whether you think they had a chance to come back with Anthony or not.
I'm not sure why people thought UNC was gonna "flip a switch." They've now lost 9 of their last 11 and if you look at their remaining schedule, with the exception of Wake Forest, who just blew them out, they play all of the teams in the top half of the conference. They will do good to not finish last in the conference. Good riddance to them and I hope they go winless the rest of the season.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why people thought UNC was gonna "flip a switch." They've now lost 9 of their last 11 and if you look at their remaining schedule, with the exception of Wake Forest, who just blew them out, they play all of the teams in the top half of the conference. They will do good to not finish last in the conference. Good riddance to them and I hope they go winless the rest of the season.
.... and next season too!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Roy is having trouble coaching this team without older players that are the team leaders. Not sure who is the team leader other than maybe Anthony.

Deleted member 2897

Roy is having trouble coaching this team without older players that are the team leaders. Not sure who is the team leader other than maybe Anthony.

He has too many high talent “Me” non-team players.

Deleted member 2897

ACC Stats update:
1) ACC Player of the year Nwora is leading the conference in scoring, but finished with 2 points.
2) Devoe is 7th in the ACC at 16 points/game, 2.8 pts/game out of the top spot.
3) Banks 8th in rebounds at 7.6/game, 1.4/game out of 2nd...1st place is a wacky 13/game for Mooney for Notre Dame (if that's not a typo on the website).
4) Wright at 2nd in the ACC in FG% (53.3%) and Devoe 6th (46.8%). 2 of the top 6 in the ACC in shooting percentage???
5) Banks 2nd in blocks (2.6/game) and Wright 9th.
6) Jose 4th in steals at ~2/game.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Turnovers have been the biggest reason for so many losses since Jose has been back. We struggled at guard play earlier without him. He is playing at all ACC level right now.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
ACC Stats update:

4) Wright at 2nd in the ACC in FG% (53.3%) and Devoe 6th (46.8%). 2 of the top 6 in the ACC in shooting percentage???

We lead the league in TO's at over 16 per game. Almost 2 more than even WF and then it goes way down from there. Shooting a high percentage doesn't get it done if you don't get up nearly as many shots as anyone else. Overall we are 4th in the league in shooting percentage.

Cut down on the TOs and good things could happen.

Deleted member 2897

We lead the league in TO's at over 16 per game. Almost 2 more than even WF and then it goes way down from there. Shooting a high percentage doesn't get it done if you don't get up nearly as many shots as anyone else. Overall we are 4th in the league in shooting percentage.

Cut down on the TOs and good things could happen.

Yes, 4th in FG% and 5th in defensive FG%. Put those together and we're top 3. Yet sub 0.500. Its turnovers. The difference between our turnover rate and just being average equates to 10-12 points per game. Crazy. We have like 400 turnovers - 100 more than the top half of the league. Crazy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I had a "holy sh!t" epiphany during the game: We get one more year of Alvarado. When he's on the floor, it's just a different team. He's playing his best basketball, and you can see he still has room for improvement.

IF this is the best starting 5 Pastner has had at GT, now imagine them next season (minus Banks). Devoe is a very good player, but he can be special...AND he has 2 more years. Unless Pastner signs an amazing 2021 class, his best shot at anything since he's been here will be next season, and if he doesn't capitalize it's going to be an enormous rebuild which he probably won't get to oversee.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be interested in a breakdown of Jordan Nwora vs. Elijah Hughes, from anyone who feels compelled and researched. Take away surrounding cast/team performance and preseason hype.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I haven't gotten to watch much ACC basketball, so I have no clue how other PGs are doing unless they play us.

Is any PG playing at Alvarado's level right now?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't gotten to watch much ACC basketball, so I have no clue how other PGs are doing unless they play us.

Is any PG playing at Alvarado's level right now?
The ACC PG conversation starts with Cole Anthony and Tre Jones, imo, and they haven't disappointed lately.

Jose Alvarado

upload_2020-2-13_9-49-40.png

Tre Jones
upload_2020-2-13_9-50-37.png

Cole Anthony
upload_2020-2-13_9-50-3.png

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
This is the great mystery of the season and the primary reason for the disappointing season, IMO. If we start the preseason practices playing the offense we are currently running one would expect we'd be better at it by now.

100% spot on.

And we'd probably have a winning record too.

/