ACC Bowl Action

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The only people who broke college football are the greedy *******s taking in millions of dollars in salaries and “donations” who thought they could keep exploiting the actual players as long as they wanted.

The solution was easy. Let the players create a union so you can have a collective bargaining agreement that protects all sides and interests (except the coaches and AA administrators pocketing millions).

Colleges (and their representative the NCAA) fought hard against the obvious solution and instead got a heavily conservative Supreme Court to unanimously force them to create a real free market.

Now we all get to weep because of the crap we’ve watched the past 2 days.

Thank god the NFL an actually competent league is putting up a game tonight so there may at least be some redeemable football.
Playing college football is a choice. They could leave at any time. Further, they were paid plenty for their labors. No one was exploited. Can we ditch that rhetoric?

What happened was companies were making good money off their NIL. That never ahould have happened.

F$U and the ACC were screwed and they took it into their own hands. Made themselves look really bad.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If FSU goes to the SEC and I were either Kirby or his successor, I would move heaven and earth to not have to play them again while Norvell is still the coach there. Something like the Orange Bowl today is what true hatred between schools and fanbases is made of. The Criminoles will want revenge as much as Tech wanted it against Bama after the Chick Graning incident.

Btw, my best friend, now gone and I miss him so, went to the 1962 Bama game. He said that game was off the scale of usual human rage. The entire stands were on their feet for the entire game screaming for blood. Literally. The cops were obviously afraid that the crowd would storm the field during regulation. Jim said they were right to be.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I mean, I still.agree that FSU getting snubbed was not cool. However a good coach pulls the team together in times of disappointment. As much as I hate saying this, Kirby was pretty spot on in is comments and did a good.job holding the team together.
From what I heard Kirby had little to do with it. At least according to the players.

The situations, apparently, were completely different for the two teams. You had a lot of uga players who were wanting to play their last game together and their last chance to play football. Georgia was one of a handful of teams, along with Tech, BC, Missouri, Clemson, Rutgers, and Maryland, who were highly motivated for their games.

This will increasingly be the rule for meaningless bowl games unless something changes. A few teams will have unique reasons to be motivated and everyone else will field a team of scrubs as players protect their earning potential. Kirby said as much.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Next year, if you’re not in he 12-team invitational, and you get invited to a bowl game…great! Go have fun! The fans will show up and support you. The other team may all show up, or barely show up. If your top players opt out, that’s okay, because: it legitimately won’t matter.
I have a better solution. Have the 12 team playoff and have another 16 team consolation playoff (similar to the NIT). Then at least you get 28 teams (32 once they realize how stupid a 12 team playoff actually is) that should play hard with whatever group they field. And even if some of the teams in 13-28 sleep walk through the first round there’s a chance they wake up for the subsequent rounds.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
From what I heard Kirby had little to do with it. At least according to the players.

The situations, apparently, were completely different for the two teams. You had a lot of uga players who were wanting to play their last game together and their last chance to play football. Georgia was one of a handful of teams, along with Tech, BC, Missouri, Clemson, Rutgers, and Maryland, who were highly motivated for their games.

This will increasingly be the rule for meaningless bowl games unless something changes. A few teams will have unique reasons to be motivated and everyone else will field a team of scrubs as players protect their earning potential. Kirby said as much.
Agreed. I think the reality is that Georgia kind of knew they were going to be left out if they lost to Alabama. So they feel like they left it on the field and then played for their seniors. FSU got absolutely screwed and then goes into a consolation bowl game with an undefeated record. I read that were down 7 players on defense due to opt out/transfer/injury - which was the strength of their team. They basically came with little energy and a team full of backups to play one of the top 5 or 6 teams in the country (not the top 4, btw…THWg). That’s not going to turn out well.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. I think the reality is that Georgia kind of knew they were going to be left out if they lost to Alabama. So they feel like they left it on the field and then played for their seniors. FSU got absolutely screwed and then goes into a consolation bowl game with an undefeated record. I read that were down 7 players on defense due to opt out/transfer/injury - which was the strength of their team. They basically came with little energy and a team full of backups to play one of the top 5 or 6 teams in the country (not the top 4, btw…THWg). That’s not going to turn out well.
Actually FSU was down 9 starters on defense and one key backup. But, yeah, we are on the same page. FSU had zero to gain with that game whereas Georgia was trying to redeem itself after blowing its only real test of the season. Also, might be why Kirby left his starters in for so long even though it was clear halfway through the first quarter that FSU didn’t have a real team on the field.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
The Orange Bowl Committee aught to void their $mega-million paycheck to FSU for lack of performance. Then in-turn FSU should realize they are suing the wrong people, apologize to the ACC and sue their own players for their lack of commitment. In todays college football landscape the word "commitment" should be replaced by "for as long as I want"

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Actually FSU was down 9 starters on defense and one key backup. But, yeah, we are on the same page. FSU had zero to gain with that game whereas Georgia was trying to redeem itself after blowing its only real test of the season. Also, might be why Kirby left his starters in for so long even though it was clear halfway through the first quarter that FSU didn’t have a real team on the field.
IMO, it doesn't matter what they felt. If they accepted the bowl invitation, they committed (there is that word again) and were obligated to play. Otherwise they should have not accepted the invite and just stayed home and saved all the shame and embarrassment.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
IMO, it doesn't matter what they felt. If they accepted the bowl invitation, they committed (there is that word again) and were obligated to play. Otherwise they should have not accepted the invite and just stayed home and saved all the shame and embarrassment.
Who is “they?”

I’m sure scrubs on the team wanted to play and I’m sure coaches wanted the extra practices to evaluate future players and potential roster changes. It was just the 29 players with everything to lose financially who didn’t want to play.

It’s a messed up system for sure and doesn’t promise to get any better.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Who is “they?”

I’m sure scrubs on the team wanted to play and I’m sure coaches wanted the extra practices to evaluate future players and potential roster changes. It was just the 29 players with everything to lose financially who didn’t want to play.

Didn’t the mutts have at least as many guys with “everything to lose financially?”

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Who is “they?”

"They" is exactly those 29 players. I wonder how some of those players felt on the sideline in their jerseys watching the embarrassment they were a party to. Maybe they should realize they wouldn't have financial gain to lose if it wasn't for the opportunity given to them by their school to play college football on the grand stage. I love college football, but his whole deal just pisses me off !!

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
"The game mattered just because, if you're a competitor, then every game matters -- every opportunity you get to go out there and play with people you love," Georgia defensive back Kamari Lassiter said.

Got to give credit where credit is due. Relative to the quitting they did against Texas a few years ago, perhaps this team and current culture is better put together. As is our current team with CBK.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
"They" is exactly those 29 players. I wonder how some of those players felt on the sideline in their jerseys watching the embarrassment they were a party to. Maybe they should realize they wouldn't have financial gain to lose if it wasn't for the opportunity given to them by their school to play college football on the grand stage. I love college football, but his whole deal just pisses me off !!
I get it.

I’ve been wondering this morning if all the internet frenzy and media arguments about this game is exactly what ESPN wants. The old “no such thing as bad publicity” approach. If FSU had played at full strength, regardless of outcome, the conversation would have been over an hour after the end of the game. But THIS conversation is just getting started and is attracting the attention of people who don’t normally follow college football.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I get it.

I’ve been wondering this morning if all the internet frenzy and media arguments about this game is exactly what ESPN wants. The old “no such thing as bad publicity” approach. If FSU had played at full strength, regardless of outcome, the conversation would have been over an hour after the end of the game. But THIS conversation is just getting started and is attracting the attention of people who don’t normally follow college football.
Yeah, even Kirby stated in the postgame that something needs to be fixed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t the mutts have at least as many guys with “everything to lose financially?”
Apparently not from what I’ve read.

And the game meant the world to them anyway, a chance to end their season with a win not a loss. FSU had already ended their season with a win and an extra exhibition or consolation game meant nothing.

Perhaps you are old enough to remember when bowl games were played just for fun. Final college rankings were finished before bowl season and bowls meant nothing. Dodd saw them as a reward, allowed players to bring girls friends, wives, children. Practice was at a minimum and coed volleyball was the replacement. Then somewhere along the way people complained that having a team ranked in the top by the polls getting slaughtered in a bowl meant that rankings should wait until after bowl season. That led to an evolution of bowls meaning more and more.

Until one day they didn’t matter. Again.

I think we all know why Tech was up for their bowl game and why it mattered to them. But if Tech is ever successful enough to make the playoffs but is given a consolation game instead we will probably see a similar response.

Clearly bowls are going to matter more to some teams than others but I think the reasons for the differences are obvious.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Who is “they?”

They could have declined the bowl bid. Tech would have made a better showing, as would 9 other ACC teams. If they didn’t want to play then why accept the bid?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It's weird hearing folks talk about the Orange bowl as a meaningless game, consolation prize. Sure I get FSU being pissed about not being in the top 4. But really feels like many teams not playing in the NY6 bowls are taking theirs more seriously
I agree if FSU really didn't want to play, they should have declined and let a team who wanted to be there play