ACC Bowl Action

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
My wife was the girls track and cross country coach at Shamrock and Redan. At that time all the coaches were also teachers.
If it is a combined teacher/coach salary then it makes sense. Thanks! Did the cross country / track coach get paid the same as the football coach? I would doubt it.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Mostly just the head football coach, but maybe basketball coaches, too. They may even have label sponsorships. They may teach a PE class each semester, but I doubt more than that.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Mostly just the head football coach, but maybe basketball coaches, too. They may even have label sponsorships. They may teach a PE class each semester, but I doubt more than that.
Interesting. My daughter is a English Special Ed teacher in Fairfax and she co-teaches 3 English 12th grade classes with the Head BB coach for the HS. I will see if she can find out how much he makes for coaching. One of my good friends is the tennis coach for a very expensive Private HS here, he does not teach and gets around $3K for strictly coaching tennis. He does it because he like being a coach.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. My daughter is a English Special Ed teacher in Fairfax and she co-teaches 3 English 12th grade classes with the Head BB coach for the HS. I will see if she can find out how much he makes for coaching. One of my good friends is the tennis coach for a very expensive Private HS here, he does not teach and gets around $3K for strictly coaching tennis. He does it because he like being a coach.
I’d suspect it is far more prevalent in the deep south where football is an idol.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If it is a combined teacher/coach salary then it makes sense. Thanks! Did the cross country / track coach get paid the same as the football coach? I would doubt it.
No. But her team placed in the state finals and the football team did not. Being a competitive runner helped a bunch.

She has no ill feelings about the difference. "The number of practices and the management of a much more public sport made the two jobs very different."

I will say that part of the difference is that the girls track team was coached by a teacher. A masters degree mathematician who would eventually have a PhD. The football team had a coach who taught some classes. She enjoyed coaching and it helped her pay for her advanced degrees. But coaching was not her profession.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
my wrestling coach was also the DC for the football team and he also taught AP Calculus, Trig and Geometry. He was an EE grad from Vanderbilt. He wasn't a fan of industry and became a coach/teacher. He is now the assistant superintendent of Lee County school system

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
my wrestling coach was also the DC for the football team and he also taught AP Calculus, Trig and Geometry. He was an EE grad from Vanderbilt. He wasn't a fan of industry and became a coach/teacher. He is now the assistant superintendent of Lee County school system
Lee Co is one of the ones that pays a crapton of money to their HC.