ACC Bowl Action

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They have NIL, and one of the top 10 recruiting classes. They’ll go portaling in the Spring and rebuild their roster.

For sure, they're F$U. They'll have talent on their roster. But, thus far, they're losing a lot more than they're bringing in. Looks like a rebuilding year for them. Building a good team with a lot of new faces is always a challenge. It feels like all the energy/narrative around FSU is negative right now. Norvell has a huge challenge ahead to turn it into positive motivation for next year's team.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing I am not clear on…perhaps someone on this board can clarify for me.
Was EVERY FSU player who opted out someone who went into the portal or the NFL draft? In other words, or those 39 FSU players all leaving the program?
In these mercenary days, I doubt top notch players would do anything that hurt their pro chances. So I am less convinced of the conspiracy theory that they opted out to screw ESPN or the CFP committee. Maybe some accelerated their decisions but no one would do anything that might hurt their careers.

IIUC: 23 are in the portal or intend to be in the NFL draft. A handful were out due to injury (or possibly 'injury'). Others may return, though you wonder what it does for team chemistry... Folks on twitter (and FSU fans) were commenting on the bad optics of some opt-outs being on the sidelines in sweatpants watching their teammates get drubbed 63-3. Personally, I predict more transfer announcements forthcoming out of Tallahassee.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow

I’d feel “maybe I should have been as smart as them”?
Playing college football is a choice. They could leave at any time. Further, they were paid plenty for their labors. No one was exploited. Can we ditch that rhetoric?

What happened was companies were making good money off their NIL. That never ahould have happened.

F$U and the ACC were screwed and they took it into their own hands. Made themselves look really bad.
lol then players are literally leaving and everyone is complaining.

And if you think they weren’t being unfairly exploited you should make your case to the 9 SC justices who unanimously believed that to be the case across party and ideological lines.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I’d feel “maybe I should have been as smart as them”?

lol then players are literally leaving and everyone is complaining.

And if you think they weren’t being unfairly exploited you should make your case to the 9 SC justices who unanimously believed that to be the case across party and ideological lines.
That was for NIL, which I specifically stated was fine.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FSU has proven they are not worthy of being in the ACC. But for the $$$, we are stuck with them and vice versa. Meatloaf "Love by the Dashboard Lights" comes to mind. Except 2036 is the end of time.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking about this as well. I mentioned in another thread that teams/players that have the CFP as their primary end-of-season goal may have little motivation if they don’t get in. However, I think there is a valid reason besides just culture as to why the mindset is different between uga and FSU.

UGA missed their chance due to their play on the field in a close game. They weren’t snubbed by the committee, since they lost their conference championship. Their players by and large still wanted another chance to prove something. FSU on the other hand did everything they needed to do and could do on the field of play, and were still left out. That would naturally have a lot of players thinking “What’s the point?”

I’m not defending the FSU player’s choice, just pointing out why their attitude would tend to be different.
Bingo.

One team with nothing left to prove and another team eager to salvage their honor. Weirdly, I’ve seen some uga fans, as well as SEC supporters, act like uga just won the Super Bowl and completely ignoring that their team played a scrub team. SMH.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Until the big 10 and ACC figure out a way to get their players wanting to play in bowl games the SEC will dominate bowl season. I can understand future NFL players wanting to sit out the Outback bowl but players sitting out the Peach Bowl and Orange Bowl is a problem. IMO the big 10 and ACC players don’t care enough while the SEC players do care and that’s why they kick butt in bowl games. Penn St had 5 starters out one being the captain of the team and the game didn’t end good. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth because I paid $1000 to watch the game live and I got the backups. This won’t happen to me again because I’ll never spend that kind of money again I’ll just watch it on the TV which I’d rather do anyway. Even had Penn St won the game I’d feel the same way. I thought it was Chop Robinson I was paying to watch and it was his backup smh lol. I got a headache from the SEC chant lol

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Weird.

I watched a few minutes of the game and I didn’t see any of uga’s main players / starters out for the game. Whereas FSU was missing virtually their entire offensive and defensive production.

Something seems like of fishy about this post.

Helps to have your starting QB who's expected to be a 1st round draft pick in the 2025 draft, your best WR, most of your OL and DL. Most of UGA's players that didn't play were reserves.

If you would have just counted the 2nd half when it was FSU reserves vs UGA reserves, UGA still covers the spread. It was 21-0 for the 2nd half.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Until the big 10 and ACC figure out a way to get their players wanting to play in bowl games the SEC will dominate bowl season. I can understand future NFL players wanting to sit out the Outback bowl but players sitting out the Peach Bowl and Orange Bowl is a problem. IMO the big 10 and ACC players don’t care enough while the SEC players do care and that’s why they kick butt in bowl games. Penn St had 5 starters out one being the captain of the team and the game didn’t end good. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth because I paid $1000 to watch the game live and I got the backups. This won’t happen to me again because I’ll never spend that kind of money again I’ll just watch it on the TV which I’d rather do anyway. Even had Penn St won the game I’d feel the same way. I thought it was Chop Robinson I was paying to watch and it was his backup smh lol. I got a headache from the SEC chant lol
I thought the same thing when I saw all the FSU fans in the stands. Especially when we knew weeks ago that this would be a blowout. Fans will not continue to be hoodwinked if this is the trend.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That is a point. As others have mentioned, Bowl games used to be a destination event, where the city and committee were interested in attracting fans and tourism dollars. Now, it seems there is little interest in the tourism aspect of the bowl and it’s more about the TV dollars. Unless it’s a situation lit Tech this year, I would have serious reservations about putting forward some serious cash to go watch a team that is missing half the starters. That would be very discouraging, even if they won. It’s like watching the last 5 minutes of a blow-out game where all the starters have been pulled and the backups are getting mop-up duty. Fun to watch, but not something to shell out big dollars to see.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought the same thing when I saw all the FSU fans in the stands. Especially when we knew weeks ago that this would be a blowout. Fans will not continue to be hoodwinked if this is the tren
I knew Chop wasn’t playing a couple of weeks ago after we bought the tickets but the other 4 or 5 starters we found out yesterday right before the game 😂 you’re not watching the same team with 5 studs sitting out one being the captain of the team. Yesterday was like watching the blue and white game live which is free lol

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Weird.

I watched a few minutes of the game and I didn’t see any of uga’s main players / starters out for the game. Whereas FSU was missing virtually their entire offensive and defensive production.

Something seems like of fishy about this post.
It’s a nonsense clickbait tweet that attempts to equate raw player count with a level playing field.

That said, uga did have a few key players like Bowers out. But to compare playing with your green 3rd-string QB to a seasoned starting QB is taking the most important player out of the equation. I gagged a bit writing this in defense of FSU, but no one with any insight into the true relative strength of the remaining players on these teams would agree that they’re about even.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It’s a nonsense clickbait tweet that attempts to equate raw player count with a level playing field.

That said, uga did have a few key players like Bowers out. But to compare playing with your green 3rd-string QB to a seasoned starting QB is taking the most important player out of the equation. I gagged a bit writing this in defense of FSU, but no one with any insight into the true relative strength of the remaining players on these teams would agree that they’re about even.

Also shows that FSU didn't have much quality depth behind their starters.

FSU's reserves versus UGA's reserves (UGA's reserves played the entire 2nd half...including walk ons) also looked outmatched. UGA's reserves alone covered the spread.