A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So how many actually did anything in the NFL. Our best QB ever Joe Hamilton never played. College talent does not have to be NFL talent and Tech has very little of it and never will. And who cares. It is wins and losses and scheme.
Why does it matter how many “actually did anything”? Are you disparaging former players because they weren’t NFL stars? Making it to the league is hard. Staying there is harder. There’s a reason why the average NFL career is 3 years. But just for the record, 6 of the 10 guys who made it to the league played for 3 or more years.

Your argument is getting worse with each post guy. At some point you’ve got to give up, right?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Why does it matter how many “actually did anything”? Are you disparaging former players because they weren’t NFL stars? Making it to the league is hard. Staying there is harder. There’s a reason why the average NFL career is 3 years. But just for the record, 6 of the 10 guys who made it to the league played for 3 or more years.

Your argument is getting worse with each post guy. At some point you’ve got to give up, right?
First of all, I loved CPJ and think he is a HOF coach. In saying that, if scheme and coaching truly beat talent, we should have been beating ugag and Clemson at a better clip.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You just say things that aren’t even true with no evidence to back it up just because that’s the way you think/feel. Talent trumps coaching. Sorry to inform you of this fact.
Here are some facts. There are 300,000 seniors playing high school football. And ...

30 will be rated 5 star
380 will be rated 4 star
1328 will be rated 3 star
1859 will be rated 2 star
296,493 will be 1 star or not rated

If you are a factory school with an NFL pipeline (e.g., an SEC school), you’ll get 5 stars and a proportion of 4 stars.

If you’re not ... you better have a edge in scheme or a damn good GameDay manager ...

Talent DOES matter. But not everyone can get it. What’s Plan B.

Your point has always been recruiting. Our greatest players never played in the NFL. It is all coaching. Scheme scheme scheme which our current staff does not believe in. We will never recruit at the level you believe. And even if we do we need scheme. But in 2 years the next staff may be better.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Your point has always been recruiting. Our greatest players never played in the NFL. It is all coaching. Scheme scheme scheme which our current staff does not believe in. We will never recruit at the level you believe. And even if we do we need scheme. But in 2 years the next staff may be better.
Calvin is the best player of all time and he went 2nd overall and is a NFL Hall of Famer. name Anyone over the last 15 years who was the best player on our team. I bet they played in the NFL.

Calvin is the best player of all time and he went 2nd overall and is a NFL Hall of Famer. name Anyone over the last 15 years who was the best player on our team. I bet they played in the NFL.
Ok....name them who actually played....In fact CPJ may have put the most actual players who saw significant time in the NFL.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Ok....name them who actually played....In fact CPJ may have put the most actual players who saw significant time in the NFL.
05-6 C. Johnson
07 T. Choice
08 M. Johnson
09 D. Morgan
10 A. Allen
11-12 J. Attaochu
13 Je. Thomas
14 S. Mason
15-16 Ju. Thomas
17 Can’t point out best player. Multiple NFL players
18-20 N/A the best player from those teams is still on the team IMO

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So now you’ve completely moved the goalposts into something not even relevant to the topic at hand. It’s established the greatest “scheme” coach in Georgia Tech’s modern history had the best seasons when he had the most talent. His teams with the least talent had the least success. You cannot win games consistently on
“scheme“ alone. Great talent will almost always beat “scheme” if the talent on the “scheme” side is much lower. If that’s not the case, why couldn’t CPJ’s scheme beat Clemson or Georgia consistently in the second half of his career. Not only was his scheme losing, it was getting obliterated.

In 2014 with one of CPJ’s most talented teams, Tech ran for 399 yards against Georgia and 251 against Clemson.

In 2015 with an injury ridden team with very little talent, Tech ran for 194 against Georgia and 75 against Clemson. Why didn’t the scheme overcome the lack of talent? Did the scheme change so drastically that the production of the running game was cut in half? Or was it the players (and lack thereof) on the field?

CPJ was 1-2 against Kirby and 5-7 against Dabo (3 of those wins occurred in 2008 and 2009 when CPJ had arguably his most talent). Does that mean that Kirby and Dabo has better schemes than CPJ? Does that make them better coaches than CPJ? Or does talent matter more than coaching? Takeaway the 3 wins CPJ had against Dabo with his most talented teams and he was 2-7 from 2010-2018. It’s crazy that those teams with less talent won less games right? It’s crazy that when Clemson started becoming one of the most talented programs in the country they started winning games, right? Almost like talent matters.

If my math is correct, Tech placed 143 players into the NFL since 1960. Of those, 24 were CPJ players.
So if we subtract 143 from 24 we are at 119. Before CPJ and including Dodd we had 9 coaches. Now some were short term but that being said math says CPJ might have the most as many years under the coaches we put no one in. But in my book who cares. CPJ took us to winning heights we had not seen since the 50s. And of course the morons will point out 2015. Ross 2-9. 3-8. No coach in my 51 years owned Georgia. We beat Clemson in the early 70s because they sucked. Kevin Tisdale....look him up.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So if we subtract 143 from 24 we are at 119. Before CPJ and including Dodd we had 9 coaches. Now some were short term but that being said math says CPJ might have the most as many years under the coaches we put no one in. But in my book who cares. CPJ took us to winning heights we had not seen since the 50s. And of course the morons will point out 2015. Ross 2-9. 3-8. No coach in my 51 years owned Georgia. We beat Clemson in the early 70s because they sucked. Kevin Tisdale....look him up.
Your comment that CPJ took us to heights we haven’t seen since the 50s is just not true. We won a national title in 1990 and finished in the top 10 in 98. We had two orange bowl appearances under CPJ. One we got smoked and the other we won.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
So how many actually did anything in the NFL. Our best QB ever Joe Hamilton never played. College talent does not have to be NFL talent and Tech has very little of it and never will. And who cares. It is wins and losses and scheme.
Joe Hamilton did play. I saw him play for the Buccaneers when they had QBs hurt under Tony Dungy. Did he start?No. It was one game, but the dude actually played in the NFL.
The fact he made a roster being 5’9 is a testament to his skill.

Coaching matters but there is a reason our 2009 season was special. The 2010 draft had two first round picks from Tech for the first time since 1979. The first three picks all had long NFL careers as starters
In 1979, it was Eddie Lee Ivery and Kent Hill. ELI needs no introduction but he played 8 years for GB. Kent Hill was a 5 time Pro Bowler. Coaching matters but as a PJ fan, you should remember his famous quote, “physical superiority cancels all theory”

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Your comment that CPJ took us to heights we haven’t seen since the 50s is just not true. We won a national title in 1990 and finished in the top 10 in 98. We had two orange bowl appearances under CPJ. One we got smoked and the other we won.

I know the Orange Bowl against Iowa was difficult to watch - I was there, and I about froze watching their D dominate our O that night, but 24-14 is not "smoked". Your bias seems obvious when you call that "smoked", but our win over Missy State was just "we won". :)

What PJ did in a few special seasons was more difficult than for any previous coaches - we know that college football today is a much more top heavy situation, with only a few teams getting the best of the best. Now, again, I don't want to issue "sainthood" on PJ, but for those of you who underestimate his success during this very modern era, I can just say I believe you are wrong, but it will take seeing what you probably will see over the next 4-5 years to fully understand the difficulty.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I know the Orange Bowl against Iowa was difficult to watch - I was there, and I about froze watching their D dominate our O that night, but 24-14 is not "smoked". Your bias seems obvious when you call that "smoked", but our win over Missy State was just "we won". :)

What PJ did in a few special seasons was more difficult than for any previous coaches - we know that college football today is a much more top heavy situation, with only a few teams getting the best of the best. Now, again, I don't want to issue "sainthood" on PJ, but for those of you who underestimate his success during this very modern era, I can just say I believe you are wrong, but it will take seeing what you probably will see over the next 4-5 years to fully understand the difficulty.
No bias. I was there for the Iowa game too. It was my second to last semester at GT. In all honesty, I forgot the score was so close at the end. It was a good season and great one by GT standards. Adrian clayborn played a great game for Iowa and showed why he was deserving of a first round pick. To account for any perceived bias, how about we got beat in one and we won one. 😉
Listen it is indisputable that CPJ had two of the best seasons we’ve had in the last 50 years but my point was in response to a comment that he took us to heights not seen since 50s, which is not true.

Four if you count the kid from NC
Now compare those 4 Guys with what CGC has done in just a short 1.5 Recruiting Classes by getting Sims & Gibbs, maybe add in Jamious Griffin

I find it hard to believe that so many GT Fans have such a "short rope" for CGC based on having to compete with 2 weak & depleted LoS's, and no TEs in sight that can get on the field

Just based on QB Recruiting & RB Recruiting one would think that that our Fans would give him the "time" to address both Lines in the same way he's done in the Off backfield

Gotta build 5 OLine slots - each 2 deep, with 3 more guys that float among multiple OLine positions -- then we need to build our DLine in the same manner

Folks don't realize, that we are rebuilding both our Interior Lines as if we are recovering from an "SMU style Death Penalty"

When CGC took over we had like 3 serviceable Guys for about 24 potential slots when you add up OLine & Interior DLine

But that doesn't matter, CDP just isn't "scheming" the Playcalls as good as Teams like Clemson & ND, and CGC just isn't " coaching them up"

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Over the course of a season, it’s pretty easy to spot the teams with talent.
It’s also pretty easy to spot teams that are well coached.
I’ll leave it at that.