A Thread to Rehash GT HC Comparisons

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know it's a special case, but has anyone ever imagined Indiana being undefeated into mid-November? I don't think it's recruiting, so it must be ...

I don't know who their coach is but he must be doing a good job at what has to be one of the absolute worst P5 jobs in the nation. OTOH, this season seems to be too much of a "one off" event to put much stock into anything. imo.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I know it's a special case, but has anyone ever imagined Indiana being undefeated into mid-November? I don't think it's recruiting, so it must be ...
I looked up his record yesterday and his first 2 years, they were 5-7, but 2-7 in conference and literally played no one OOC. I say this just because I think our vocal anti-CGC fans need to be more patient. It takes a lot of coaches 2 seasons to get their players and system installed and then that 3rd year is where you should some pay off. Another coach who struggled his first 2 years is Dave Clawson. IIRC they were 2-10 and then 3-9 his first 2 years and are now a well-coached and competitive team.

Back to your point, their recruiting has seen an uptick. But, Allen is a really good coach too. I don't think anyone is saying that coaching and scheme is not important, but the most talented teams will win 9/10 times. Take Miami for example, I don't think Diaz is a good coach, but they only have 1 loss which was to Clemson who is obviously more talented than them. It seems like Miami always plays down to their competition, but sneaks out with a win based on talent.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I looked up his record yesterday and his first 2 years, they were 5-7, but 2-7 in conference and literally played no one OOC. I say this just because I think our vocal anti-CGC fans need to be more patient. It takes a lot of coaches 2 seasons to get their players and system installed and then that 3rd year is where you should some pay off. Another coach who struggled his first 2 years is Dave Clawson. IIRC they were 2-10 and then 3-9 his first 2 years and are now a well-coached and competitive team.

Beamer averaged 4 wins per year for his first 6 years at VT, with a low of 2 and a high of 6. I wonder if any coach anywhere will be given that kind of rope anymore? OTOH, VT FB before Beamer was pretty insignificant so they started from pretty far back in the pack.

Anybody notice that Malik Willis who we wanted badly and went to awbern,is now leading Liberty to great heights.He had 400 yds of Off yesterday.If he has come here its possible Johnson would still be here.
These types of stories happen frequently when your HC is a horrific Recruiter

As much as that Guy throws the ball for Liberty under Freeze & his RPO Offense, GT had a less than ZERO chance to sign him

No one wants to get their Brains beat in running the "Service Academy Option" when they can run an RPO type option & still have a chance to get drafted

In an RPO System, your QB can be as small as Kyler Murray, and still not take too many hits while throwing the ball a Ton to keep their NFL Dreams alive

Is this thread and overall tone necessary?
A big deal was made abt the Fake Punt vs BC

With no FG Kicker for us, I think these trick plays are both on the same level of risk IMO

Also IMO we have too many folks that think Monken would have us at 5-2 or 6-2 right now

Maybe the tone was aggressive, but I think the Guys that act like anybody other than CGC is the right HC for GT make posts that are worse than the tone of this post

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
These types of stories happen frequently when your HC is a horrific Recruiter

As much as that Guy throws the ball for Liberty under Freeze & his RPO Offense, GT had a less than ZERO chance to sign him

No one wants to get their Brains beat in running the "Service Academy Option" when they can run an RPO type option & still have a chance to get drafted

In an RPO System, your QB can be as small as Kyler Murray, and still not take too many hits while throwing the ball a Ton to keep their NFL Dreams alive
Feeling more and more likely that this is the latest reincarnation of WnE.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
A big deal was made abt the Fake Punt vs BC

With no FG Kicker for us, I think these trick plays are both on the same level of risk IMO

Also IMO we have too many folks that think Monken would have us at 5-2 or 6-2 right now

Maybe the tone was aggressive, but I think the Guys that act like anybody other than CGC is the right HC for GT make posts that are worse than the tone of this post
when u line up in a punt formation on the opponents 29 yard line, everyone in the stadium/country knows a fake is coming. trying a trick play on a kick off is no where near as egregious as a fake punt on an opponents 29 yard line