9-4

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
MJ is the starter going into spring. He's working on nuance where as the other two are working on the basics. The good news is if he gets beat out, we'll have one heckuva qb starting for us. I think we're in a lot better shape than most realize. I really like the added dimension MJ gives us with the keeper between the tackles. He's fast enough and quick enough in the perimeter game where the D cannot afford to ignore him and focus solely on the pitch man. The big questions in my mind are will he perfect the 3rd option on the triple and improve his passing.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
It has nothing to do with who it is.
Like someone said, you have QB with game experience (limited as it maybe), that went into a hostile environment and beat a top 25 team in his first start and has 3 years in the system.

So you start a frehman or someone with little to no game experience over someone with 3 years in the system? Cmon.

It may appear as a "battle" and CPJ may say it is but it's not. Not even close.
(Coaches do that to keep the players hungry)

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Let's see....fonts arguing about which QB is going to start next year is a clear indication the off-season has begun. Also IMO among the silliest kind of argument because nobody knows for sure.

I am simply looking forward to how it plays out. I like the North-South power running element and short yardage capabilities of Jordan, and I think he can be plenty effective passing in our offense. Has good wheels too. Taquon Marshall is elusive, and LJ and JJ are good prospects. So it will be fun to watch.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Nothing more than everyone is even going into spring. It's open.

Marshall
Jordan
LJ
JJ

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let's see....fonts arguing about which QB is going to start next year is a clear indication the off-season has begun. Also IMO among the silliest kind of argument because nobody knows for sure.

I am simply looking forward to how it plays out. I like the North-South power running element and short yardage capabilities of Jordan, and I think he can be plenty effective passing in our offense. Has good wheels too. Taquon Marshall is elusive, and LJ and JJ are good prospects. So it will be fun to watch.

You're doing this messageboard thing wrong...

:)

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
With MJ, we will see fewer true triple options than with JT. We will see fewer passes and fewer dropback passes, but I think MJ will be a pretty effective play action guy. Having Lynch, Juene, Searcy, and Stewart will mean plenty of big PA passes.

More QB "follow." More midline. More QB sprints (whatever it's called - set up to look like a sprint out pass but designed QB run). MJ finishes with more carries/game than JT this year. Lower pass % and fewer passes. Offense will continue to look pretty good.

Body Massage Machine

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we're in great hands with Jordan. If I remember right, he was recruited by Nebraska pretty heavily as a QB. Not that that matters, but it does to some people.

If our line protects him and plays like they did during the last half of 2016, we will look like we did in 2008-2009, which is not a bad thing. Maybe we won't have as many 20+ yard plays, but a more ball control offense. Could help our defense as well.

Milwaukee

Banned
I think we're in great hands with Jordan. If I remember right, he was recruited by Nebraska pretty heavily as a QB. Not that that matters, but it does to some people.

If our line protects him and plays like they did during the last half of 2016, we will look like we did in 2008-2009, which is not a bad thing. Maybe we won't have as many 20+ yard plays, but a more ball control offense. Could help our defense as well.

I agree, I think MJ can carry us as well if he gets the nod.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
MJ was recruited by some schools as a WR. He's not JT fast but he's fast - but it's straight line speed, and he's not great laterally, which I think is what gives the impression that he's not super athletic

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think people have romanticized the death march far more than they should. The idea of the death march is to take advantage of a tired defense at the end of the game when you have a lead. People here act like we need death marches in the first quarter and that just isn't a recipe for great success.

The issue is that the death march is inherent reliance on plays that are just barely getting it done. That means if one play goes wrong, a false start, a defender making a great play to beat a block, a missed read, then you find yourself in a situation where those plays that you rely on so much aren't going to get it done. That is why it needs to be thought of as something to take advantage of a tired defense, not try and cause it, because if you can reliably dominate on the offensive line where having death marches early in the game is consistent, then you don't need to wear down the opponent, because you're already beating them when they are fresh.

Death marches are for situations where taking 7 to get 3 is as good or better as taking 3 to get 7 (minutes/points btw). Those situations are few and far between though. IMO gearing an offense around death marches is like gearing an offense in basketball around the mid range jump shot. Sure, it's a nice tool to have, but you don't base your offense around it. Sure, do it well enough and you can win some games, especially if you have a defense that is smothering. But it just isn't a good offensive game plan.

For example look at yesterday. We had 3 drives totaling 32 plays and 17+ minutes that ended in a total of 9 points. That isn't good. Sure, we got away with it because our defense scored a TD, only allowed 18 total points, and our ST's got us another 3, but we greatly outplayed kentucky in all 3 phases, and yet with 4 minutes to go in the game they were an onside kick away from having a chance to tie it. That's what death march football gets you if you can't get it in the endzone. And this was against a team that is now 110th in the country in rushing defense and our yards per rush was pretty much the same as they average giving up anyways. If we had a defense and ST that could reliably hold teams to under 20 then a death march still would be perfect. But we've never had that under Johnson.

For next year I think Jordan will be the starter game one because Johnson is going to go with consistency in a first game against power 5 competition, and also means he is very likely to be the starter the next two years regardless. People point to the VT game, but I look at that game in a different light. Jordan played well, but he also had the advantage of VT preparing for Thomas. Things are different when teams are preparing only for you, for examples I think VT was caught off guard by the midline where Jordan got his big game but most teams will be preparing for it more next year. You even saw that happen in the second half when Jordan picked up just 17 yards on 13 carries. As far as the game goes, we scored 10 points off drives starting in field goal range, and another 7 with a home run from the bback spot, that we probably won't have next year. He did his part, but he got a lot more help than I think he'll usually get as well.

I think we'll be okay with him, probably still bowling, but I think there is a fairly low ceiling on the program the next two years if he is the QB, unless the defense makes huge strides.