9-4

TechPreacher

Banned
I didn't read through this thread but just looked at the title 9-3 and it amazes me that some people want to complain about CPJ after taking us to three 9 plus win season. How many times has that happened at GT? I hope we keep cpj for another 5-7 years and then I hope Ken Niumatalolo becomes our next coach, I've said this before but man would that be great.

Monken

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Pete Carroll, George O Leary, Pat Narduzzi

I'd want to see the stat that OCs are more successful on the whole. Otherwise it's just an impression.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow

I'd want to see the stat that OCs are more successful on the whole. Otherwise it's just an impression.
You can include Tom Landry as well. As a whole I think ADs are and always have been more apt to hire OC because that's what most fans want to see.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Its a tech board. Expect half the engineers to point out the one off exceptions.

its a simply true in college as a general rule O coaches succeed more often than D. Its not hard to see.

The fact people have to bring up names 30-40 years ago to prove the D point shows how scarce D coaches are that succeed in the ncaa bigtime. Its not many.

Today in the top 20 coaches in ncaa only 4 are of a D background. Saban, stoops, patterson, Ferentz. Historically for the past 30 years its not as many too. Sure some. But O coaches seem to do better

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

Here are the current top 25, and their head coach:
Alabama Saban-Defense
Ohio State Meyer-Offense
Clemson Swinney-Offense
Washington Petersen-Offense
Penn State Franklin-Offense
Michigan Harbaugh-Offense
Oklahoma Stoops-Defense
Wisconsin Chryst=Offense
USC-Helton-Offense
Florida State Fisher-Offense
Colorado-MacIntyre-Defense
Western Michigan Fleck-Offense
Oklahoma State Gundy-Offense
West Virginia Holgerson-Offense
Louisville Petrino-Offense
Stanford Shaw-Offense
Auburn Malzahn-Offense
Virginia Tech Fuente-Offense
LSU Orgeron-Defense
Florida McElwain-Offense
Iowa Ferentz-Offense
Pittsburgh Narduzzi-Defense
Temple Rhule-Both. He's coached both sides of the ball. Offense more recently, but i'lll give it a push
Nebraska Riley-Defense
South Florida Taggart-Offense

So, it's only one data point, but
18.5 of the top 25 teams in the country are headed by an offensive minded HC, and 8 of the top 10.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Could it also be because folks nowadays focus on O? Do the vast majority of headcoaches everywhere have O backgrounds? If the pool of coaches with D as their forte is small, you will naturally have fewer big names from that side break through. Defense wins championships but I think few people truly still believe it.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Good research ilovetheoption!

Wait but that's not the true top 25 tho... That's from before the bowls. Drop Pitt, Iowa , Temple, & Nebraska, and replace with Tennessee, Utah, Miami, and K-State or GT and recalculate. Also repeat for last year's Final Top 25 and further back so we can see a true unbiased sample size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Good research ilovetheoption!

Wait but that's not the true top 25 tho... That's from before the bowls. Drop Pitt, Iowa , Temple, & Nebraska, and replace with Tennessee, Utah, Miami, and K-State or GT and recalculate. Also repeat for last year's Final Top 25 and further back so we can see a true unbiased sample size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or maybe you could do that? :whistle::p

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Here are the current top 25, and their head coach:
Alabama Saban-Defense
Ohio State Meyer-Offense
Clemson Swinney-Offense
Washington Petersen-Offense
Penn State Franklin-Offense
Michigan Harbaugh-Offense
Oklahoma Stoops-Defense
Wisconsin Chryst=Offense
USC-Helton-Offense
Florida State Fisher-Offense
Colorado-MacIntyre-Defense
Western Michigan Fleck-Offense
Oklahoma State Gundy-Offense
West Virginia Holgerson-Offense
Louisville Petrino-Offense
Stanford Shaw-Offense
Auburn Malzahn-Offense
Virginia Tech Fuente-Offense
LSU Orgeron-Defense
Florida McElwain-Offense
Iowa Ferentz-Offense
Pittsburgh Narduzzi-Defense
Temple Rhule-Both. He's coached both sides of the ball. Offense more recently, but i'lll give it a push
Nebraska Riley-Defense
South Florida Taggart-Offense

So, it's only one data point, but
18.5 of the top 25 teams in the country are headed by an offensive minded HC, and 8 of the top 10.
Don't agree. Just because someone was an OC doesn't make them an Offense guy. Chan Gailey was an Offense guy and you can bet your *** his philosophy was defense-first.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, this doesn't show that DC's who are hired aren't more succesful than OC's.

My guess is that OC's are more visible, and more often hired as HC's, but that a coach is a coach is a coach.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Its a tech board. Expect half the engineers to point out the one off exceptions....

its a simply true in college as a general rule O coaches succeed more often than D. Its not hard to see.. But O coaches seem to do better
By numbers or percentage?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Could it also be because folks nowadays focus on O? Do the vast majority of headcoaches everywhere have O backgrounds? If the pool of coaches with D as their forte is small, you will naturally have fewer big names from that side break through. Defense wins championships but I think few people truly still believe it.
This is a fair question, and overlaps with alentrenkins post.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Maybe so many football fans find it hard to put defense into perspective, myself included. We condition ourselves to think good defense is X number of points, generally maybe 14 or 21 a game, and see anything beyond it as just bad defense. Maybe with the evolution of the offenses we should recalculate. Now maybe giving up five or six scores is still playing a good defense. Two really good defensive teams played for the NC last year and scored 85 points between them, and nobody thought the less of either defensive effort.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Maybe so many football fans find it hard to put defense into perspective, myself included. We condition ourselves to think good defense is X number of points, generally maybe 14 or 21 a game, and see anything beyond it as just bad defense. Maybe with the evolution of the offenses we should recalculate. Now maybe giving up five or six scores is still playing a good defense. Two really good defensive teams played for the NC last year and scored 85 points between them, and nobody thought the less of either defensive effort.

Back in the day, a 7 point lead in the fourth quarter was as good as a pond full of catfish. Now, not so much. An old adage was that offense was for show, to put fannies in the seats but defense wins championships. May still be true as Alabama is built on defense, and power running behind tremendous offensive lines. I do know, that for us to sniff even a division championship the defense must get better. We cannot hope to outscore and out scheme everyone. Well, I know there is Kentucky but you get the drift. The ACC is loaded down with good teams now and according to one"WAY TO EARLY"... preseason top 25 ranking for 2017 we could be facing as many as 5 top 25 teams. Yikes!