2024 non-GT games thread

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It’s probably just me, but not crazy about the 1/4 millionaire thing. Found the link below that says 1/6 of college grads and 1/3 with post grad degree, from anywhere, are millionaires. Then you have inheritance (a factor with 80% of millionaires).

Imo the fast start from a GT degree could be better expressed by the average age of alums hitting $100k+ salary, or % hitting $100k+ by age 30 or 35. The odds of a GT alum being involuntarily stuck making $40-50k-ish forever has to be minimal.

Oh well, back to sports…

Of course, overall inflation has something to do with that. A million dollars at the beginning of 1986 is the same as having over 2.8 million today.

1000006139.png

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The rankings I’ve seen in the past involved comparing earning potential of those graduating from college. Tech was in the top 10 with Harvard being first. Interestingly, WPI was ranked ahead of Tech. I always wondered about that until I saw an article a couple of days ago about the University of Florida which had once been ranked the number one academic undergraduate state university in the nation but was now ranked 34. I looked at the report and all the metrics looked the same or better than previous years except for one. According to Forbes Magazine the cost for college graduates living in Florida has skyrocketed. The earning potential of a Florida graduate had tanked because of the number of graduates who are “stuck” in Florida trying to earn a living where salaries have not kept up. WPI may have done better in the past compared to Tech because salaries are generally higher in Massachusetts compared to Georgia. Don’t know what inflation does to WPI numbers now.

But back to Tech. I think the earning potential of Tech graduates has remained strong compared to other schools.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Why? The MAC plays lots of close games against the B1G. They rarely win but there are usually one or 2 close games a year against good B1G teams
You’re right. Of course.

It’s just a knee jerk reaction on my part given that the trend line many were expecting was all about the rich getting richer and the two “main” conferences, B1G and SEC, putting more and more distance between them and “lesser” conferences.

It kind of gives one hope. Though I understand any team can have a good day or an off day and what really matters is consistency over a 12 game schedule.