2024 non-GT games thread

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The teams you mention as not contending are likely capable…7 or 8 win teams.
2024 ACC Preseason Poll
RankTeamPoints
1.Florida State (81)2708
2.Clemson (55)2657
3. Miami (17)2344
4.NC State (8)2318
5. Louisville1984
6.Virginia Tech (5)1968
7. SMU1798
8.North Carolina1712
9.Georgia Tech (1)1539
10.Cal (2)1095
11.Duke1056
12.Syracuse1035
13.Pitt1016
14.Boston College (1)890
15.Wake Forest784
16.Virginia629
17.Stanford477

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I always need to wait until after week 4 there abouts before I personally get a good reading where things seem to stand, but first impression like others Miami loaded with talent and their QB is a winner, Not impressed with UNC, NCST, Duke and surprised UGA put as big of *** whipping on Clemson as they did, always thought UGA would win. Clemson has good players but when I looked at them next to those UGA p;layers there was a noticeable difference between the two except in the front 4, Clemson equal or better there. To early to tell anything about Louisville except their coach is good and they will be good.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Did you watch Miami? They looked like the best team in the ACC by far after week One.
Miami has looked good so many times early in the year only to fall apart time and time again. They are only back once they have proven it at the end of the season.

Odds are very high that they are not back. For all we know florida is one of the worst coached teams in the SEC

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
We beat a team with excellent talent at a semi-neutral site via a walk-off field goal.
Miami curb-stomped a team with excellent talent on the road.
Just calling them both teams with excellent talent really ignores a lot. The team we beat went undefeated in the regular season and won the conference last year. The team Miami beat didn't even qualify for a bowl last year and also got beat by the team we beat. UF will likely be firing their coach in a few weeks.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Just calling them both teams with excellent talent really ignores a lot. The team we beat went undefeated in the regular season and won the conference last year. The team Miami beat didn't even qualify for a bowl last year and also got beat by the team we beat. UF will likely be firing their coach in a few weeks.
If you are basing your evaluations on last year's teams, I don't know what to tell you.

Did you watch the Miami game?

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Florida state is a better team than Florida.

However the manner Miami beat Florida on the road was more impressive than the way we beat Florida state.

They look like the best team in the conference after weeks 0+1. We do look like we are up there though.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

However the manner Miami beat Florida on the road was more impressive than the way we beat Florida state.

They look like the best team in the conference after weeks 0+1. We do look like we are up there though.
Agree with everything you said.

Techcaster572

Jolly Good Fellow
I never bought into the preseason hype of Va Tech so the perception of the acc being down based on clemson getting kicked around by the mutts and va tech losing to vandy on the road is mostly the media's fault. I watched the whole Vandy game yesterday and a very underwhelming commodore team took it to va tech. If that was the media's darkhouse, then they clearly don't follow or have a complete understanding of the college game.

The conference does a piss poor job of promoting nontraditional football powers.

Tech's win vs FSU is a very good win as I still believe FSU is a very good team and could still easily make the acc title game, but the conference and media just says "fsu sucks...they lost to Tech". That's trash. Norvell's biggest problem is he seems to rely way too much on the portal. I'm just not sure DJU is the answer otherwise FSU is a very good football team.

For the game in Ireland, we had the better coach and QB. We won.

How about the conference has
Ga Tech
NC State
Miami- This could clearly be the year that The U is back. I'm not a fan of that program however Cristobal is doing it the right way and building up Miami like Butch Davis did back in the early 2000's.
Louisville

I would add UNC here but their starting QB Johnson is out for the year and that's very tough to overcome plus they have skinny jeans as their dc so there's that...

Who's to say that Clemson and FSU won't bounce back; however, I will say it's more likely to happen with FSU as I think FSU boat races BC monday night.

Clemson is on big decline and I think uga's butt whipping of them says less about Uga's dominance, SEC hype blah blah blah and more about Clem's Son. Dabo's refusal to adapt to the college football landscape of NIL and the portal could be a death blow to that very proud program.
I think they are also starting to realize that maybe Dabo is the figure head that needs elite assistant coaches.

I would also point out that the above is why i absolutely can't stand preseason rankings and polls....
The fact that many are concerned Tech won't be ranked in the top 25 is the reason why polls should NEVER take place til at least week 4.
Tech is 2-0 and beat the number 10 team in the country at a neutral location.

FSU won't drop out of the top 20 if they beat an average bc team at home but tech won't be ranked. Where's the logic in that?

Rankings are solely based on potential, recruiting rankings, and perceived talent evaluation by a bunch of sport writers that couldn't coach their way out of a wet paper bag.

Last edited:

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think they are also starting to realize that maybe Dabo is the figure head that needs elite assistant coaches.
The old saying about it being harder to stay on the mountain than it is to climb the mountain comes to mind. I hate to see coaches hang on too long (Woody Hayes, Bobby Bowden, Frank Beamer, even our own Bobby C come to mind) and tarnish their image a bit. OTOH, all competitors believe that they can figure it out and get back to where they were, History shows us this is rarely the case. Maybe Dabo should hang 'em up and leave. He will be remembered at Auburn on the Lake as their Coach Bryant or Coach Saban if he doesn't hang on too long.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Miami has looked good so many times early in the year only to fall apart time and time again. They are only back once they have proven it at the end of the season.

Odds are very high that they are not back. For all we know florida is one of the worst coached teams in the SEC
Miami is the Dallas Cowboys of college football!

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

Agree. Which would mean we have best win. Doesn’t mean were better then Miami