2024 non-GT games thread

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
The old saying about it being harder to stay on the mountain than it is to climb the mountain comes to mind. I hate to see coaches hang on too long (Woody Hayes, Bobby Bowden, Frank Beamer, even our own Bobby C come to mind) and tarnish their image a bit. OTOH, all competitors believe that they can figure it out and get back to where they were, History shows us this is rarely the case. Maybe Dabo should hang 'em up and leave. He will be remembered at Auburn on the Lake as their Coach Bryant or Coach Saban if he doesn't hang on too long.
JoePa saw some ugly years at Penn State but turned it around again.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
I have questions about that LSU clock management lol.

Low scoring game given the sad defense on both sides. Both feel a bit overrated but neither are falling out of the pools now.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is going to be a REALLY, REALLY good loss for LSU. I mean, REALLY good. I expect both teams to rise in the polls.
I really think there should be a thread where each week someone posts the good losses for that week. We could have a system for ranking good losses to great losses to very best losses. The very best losses would be those in which a losing team rises in the polls after the loss. Then we could rank conferences based on how many good losses their members were able to generate.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I never bought into the preseason hype of Va Tech so the perception of the acc being down based on clemson getting kicked around by the mutts and va tech losing to vandy on the road is mostly the media's fault. I watched the whole Vandy game yesterday and a very underwhelming commodore team took it to va tech. If that was the media's darkhouse, then they clearly don't follow or have a complete understanding of the college game.

The conference does a piss poor job of promoting nontraditional football powers.

Tech's win vs FSU is a very good win as I still believe FSU is a very good team and could still easily make the acc title game, but the conference and media just says "fsu sucks...they lost to Tech". That's trash.

How about the conference has
Ga Tech
NC State
Miami- This could clearly be the year that The U is back. I'm not a fan of that program however Cristobal is doing it the right way and building up Miami like Butch Davis did back in the early 2000's.
Louisville

I would add UNC here but their starting QB Johnson is out for the year and that's very tough to overcome plus they have skinny jeans as their dc so there's that...

Who's to say that Clemson and FSU won't bounce back; however, I will say it's more likely to happen with FSU as I think FSU boat races BC monday night.

Clemson is on big decline and I think uga's butt whipping of them says less about Uga's dominance, SEC hype blah blah blah and more about Clem's Son. Dabo's refusal to adapt to the college football landscape of NIL and the portal could be a death blow to that very proud program.
I think they are also starting to realize that maybe Dabo is the figure head that needs elite assistant coaches.
Clemson has not had a top qb since Lawrence. Riley has not shown he is a top OC either. Their offense was terrible against uga and that's with a second year starter at qb.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has not had a top qb since Lawrence. Riley has not shown he is a top OC either. Their offense was terrible against uga and that's with a second year starter at qb.
Most things being equal, QB play is huge. Right now the difference between Miami and FSU. Tech and the U may have two of the best QBs in the South. Time will tell, but there are never enough good quarterbacks to go around.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
VT has long frustrated me. It's probably just perception but the Chokies seem to lose when I want them to win and win when I want them to lose. I'm sure they'll be fired up plenty when they play us. But in the meantime, they'll lose a non-conference game. They might beat us but then lose 2-3 of their remaining 4 games.
They'll have a new coach when they play us. That will change a lot regarding their execution, but they'll still have the same crappy players. We're going to massacre them.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think that? I don't think Pry is exactly on the hot seat.
He's 10-15, chokes a lot. I see your point though. They're just like we used to be with a lot of fans making excuses, but it's going to end the same- "why didn't we fire him earlier? The handwriting was on the wall with the first loss to ODU. If it wasn't that, getting rolled my Marshall and Rutgers was the nail in the coffin"

slugboy

Staff member
He's 10-15, chokes a lot. I see your point though. They're just like we used to be with a lot of fans making excuses, but it's going to end the same- "why didn't we fire him earlier? The handwriting was on the wall with the first loss to ODU. If it wasn't that, getting rolled my Marshall and Rutgers was the nail in the coffin"
CBS had Pry as “all good—for now” in July. The Vandy loss stings. They have a really easy schedule, and should be able to get to a bowl even if they’re lousy.

Their next three games are Marshall, Old Dominion, and Rutgers. They could be 2-2 or even 3-1 after four games, if they turn things around

GT33

Helluva Engineer
CBS had Pry as “all good—for now” in July. The Vandy loss stings. They have a really easy schedule, and should be able to get to a bowl even if they’re lousy.

Their next three games are Marshall, Old Dominion, and Rutgers. They could be 2-2 or even 3-1 after four games, if they turn things around

Good news for us that they keep deluding themselves into thinking that dog will eventually hunt. VT's moved themselves into bottom feeder territory where they belong.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One irritating thing to me is the advantage the ranked preseason teams have. As others have said, the first poll shouldn't come out until October. If you start out highly ranked you're more likely to stay in when you lose and keep going up when you win.