2022 Spring Football Practice

JacketFan137

Banned
My understanding is Gibson is a middle of the road QB. Pyron is fighting above his weight class (looking good for a kid who should still be in HS).
yeah that’s the vibe i got from what chip has said. expecting pyron or gibson to start was a pipe dream of sims haters and not something grounded in reality

i think the realistic hope is that in the event sims goes down again we at least have a serviceable back up and don’t have to drastically dumb down and change the offense like we did this season.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
yeah that’s the vibe i got from what chip has said. expecting pyron or gibson to start was a pipe dream of sims haters and not something grounded in reality

i think the realistic hope is that in the event sims goes down again we at least have a serviceable back up and don’t have to drastically dumb down and change the offense like we did this season.
If we brought in a guy just to be a serviceable (meaning not very good) backup when our starting QB is injury prone and hasn't played all that great when he is in there then that seems like a really poor strategy. How does the team or any of the players get better by doing that?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we brought in a guy just to be a serviceable (meaning not very good) backup when our starting QB is injury prone and hasn't played all that great when he is in there then that seems like a really poor strategy. How does the team or any of the players get better by doing that?
It's more likely he was the best we were able to attract out of the portal.

First, GT has not been very good the last few years and lost most of its proven playmakers on offense.
Second it has a returning starting QB.

If you look at where the top ranked QB's in the portal went it is largely to teams that were already good that lost their starting QB.
Ewers to TX, Williams to USC, Dart to Ole Miss, Rattler to SCe, Gabriel to OK, Johnson to TX A&M, Slovis to Pitt.
In every one of those cases the QB is walking into a situation where he is expecting to start and play for winning team.

JacketFan137

Banned
well last year our backup qb play was not even remotely acceptable. yates was not a p5 caliber player due to size, speed and athleticism and sims kinda showed some risk of being injury prone. if sims gets hurt we need a guy that can allow us to run our offense. gibson will probably be able to come in and keep our offense serviceable.

you also have to consider that he’s gonna be running against our other players in practice. any extra talent brought in is better for the team. it will be better for our defense to practice against a better qb

also his brother is coming in as a lineman i think that had some to do with it as well

JacketFan137

Banned
It's more likely he was the best we were able to attract out of the portal.

First, GT has not been very good the last few years and lost most of its proven playmakers on offense.
Second it has a returning starting QB.

If you look at where the top ranked QB's in the portal went it is largely to teams that were already good that lost their starting QB.
Ewers to TX, Williams to USC, Dart to Ole Miss, Rattler to SCe, Gabriel to OK, Johnson to TX A&M, Slovis to Pitt.
In every one of those cases the QB is walking into a situation where he is expecting to start and play for winning team.
harrison bailey was heavily mentioned with us just because of an overzealous crystal ball prediction on rivals but i think he wanted a guaranteed starter role and considering it was not even a guarantee he was better than sims that was never gonna happen

i think sims being one of collins guys just makes people hate him more than they should honestly since they ignore how bad our line is when it comes to discussing him

Recleb

Georgia Tech Fan
harrison bailey was heavily mentioned with us just because of an overzealous crystal ball prediction on rivals but i think he wanted a guaranteed starter role and considering it was not even a guarantee he was better than sims that was never gonna happen

i think sims being one of collins guys just makes people hate him more than they should honestly since they ignore how bad our line is when it comes to discussing him
Do folks with concerns about ball security “hate” Sims? I doubt it. I imagine everyone on this board hopes he is wildly successful. Poor protection likely is a factor in a number of turnovers but we all can hope there’s improvements on all fronts.

JacketFan137

Banned
Do folks with concerns about ball security “hate” Sims? I doubt it. I imagine everyone on this board hopes he is wildly successful. Poor protection likely is a factor in a number of turnovers but we all can hope there’s improvements on all fronts.
no i wouldn’t say that. i’m more referring to the comments like people saying “oh collins is still on the sims train” or acting like yates should have started (some even stating that yates played harder because he was a johnson recruit and was a better leader), or we HAD to have a transfer come in to be a new starter

just a lot of really stupid narratives surrounding him that were completely out of reality and unfounded

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I don't hate Sims, and I don't like CGC, but I don't hate Sims. If the OL plays better Sims will be fine.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I don't hate Sims, and I don't like CGC, but I don't hate Sims. If the OL plays better Sims will be fine.
Right on the Sims part. If we can put the snap at his chest and then keep him on his feet, it will go a long way. Hard to make quick throws and see blitzing LBs when you’re going to your knees to catch snaps.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
no i wouldn’t say that. i’m more referring to the comments like people saying “oh collins is still on the sims train” or acting like yates should have started (some even stating that yates played harder because he was a johnson recruit and was a better leader), or we HAD to have a transfer come in to be a new starter

just a lot of really stupid narratives surrounding him that were completely out of reality and unfounded
I don't hate Sims and I never once said Yates should start over him. I do want Sims have real competition because I don't think he has played all that well. Whether it comes from Gibson or Pyron, I don't care. Somebody needs to be breathing down his neck if he doesn't improve his play. As someone once said, competition is king, but it appears there is no real competition here which doesn't bode well.

JacketFan137

Banned
I don't hate Sims and I never once said Yates should start over him. I do want Sims have real competition because I don't think he has played all that well. Whether it comes from Gibson or Pyron, I don't care. Somebody needs to be breathing down his neck if he doesn't improve his play. As someone once said, competition is king, but it appears there is no real competition here which doesn't bode well.
i mean yeah in a perfect world there would be a heavy competition but i think that might be more of a rarity with the portal these days.

QB is gonna be a very delicate balance of managing ego going forward because the second you bring in a guy that’s competition there’s a chance your guy leaves. the only guys that were in the portal that would be true competitors for the job are all at far better schools than us. the rest may not have even been better than sims to begin with and they are in the portal likely to find a place they can play immediately.

JacketFan137

Banned
Wonder what Collins told QBs not named Sims?
pyron coming in i would imagine was told he’d likely red shirt this year barring a crazy injury spell. not really too crazy of a thing to happen when there’s a 2 year returning starter with eligibility left

gibson might have been told he could come finish his degree as the backup since he’s been in college for a while

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
pyron coming in i would imagine was told he’d likely red shirt this year barring a crazy injury spell. not really too crazy of a thing to happen when there’s a 2 year returning starter with eligibility left

gibson might have been told he could come finish his degree as the backup since he’s been in college for a while
Oh come on. Gibson had other P5 schools coming after him. There is no way Collins said, hey want to be a backup at GT and probably never play and he said, yeah, coach that sounds great. Let me call Nebraska and cancel my visit.