2022 Spring Football Practice

JacketFan137

Banned
Oh come on. Gibson had other P5 schools coming after him. There is no way Collins said, hey want to be a backup at GT and probably never play and he said, yeah, coach that sounds great. Let me call Nebraska and cancel my visit.
considering he’s from georgia and is being given the option of a georgia tech degree and play with his brother, the scenario you outlined is not really as crazy as it seems. nebraska is not very good and far away. not very appealing imo

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember that. Was that Harris.? That might have been a tip-off to our OLine. lol
Yes it was. I left his name out because I not a fan of calling out individual players negatively, but I hadn't thought that maybe it was actually on our Oline haha

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
considering he’s from georgia and is being given the option of a georgia tech degree and play with his brother, the scenario you outlined is not really as crazy as it seems. nebraska is not very good and far away. not very appealing imo
He also had Arizona, Arizona State, LSU, and Virginia Tech coming after him. He wasn't short on options. There is no way Collins, Key, and Long who all visited him sold him on coming here and not having a legitimate chance to compete and being happy about it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I suspect Gibson was told he would have a chance to compete for the starting QB job against an incumbent starter.
But coming here allows him to be close to home, play with his brother, and play at a P5 school. That all likely carried some weight.

Gibson was not a QB that someone was going to promise a starting job to.
Keep in mind Gibson was transferring from one of the worst FBS programs in the country, so almost anything is going to look like a better situation.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
i mean yeah in a perfect world there would be a heavy competition but i think that might be more of a rarity with the portal these days.

QB is gonna be a very delicate balance of managing ego going forward because the second you bring in a guy that’s competition there’s a chance your guy leaves. the only guys that were in the portal that would be true competitors for the job are all at far better schools than us. the rest may not have even been better than sims to begin with and they are in the portal likely to find a place they can play immediately.
Just a point of contention. They did NOT go to better schools. They went to better football programs.

JacketFan137

Banned
So the consensus is that the QB competition will be really interesting or not interesting at all. 😊
i’m sure there’s a timeline out there where gibson shows up and something clicks and he’s drastically better but based on the actual film from last year his ceiling is much lower than sims and he doesn’t have as many tools. sims being able to run just opens up so much more for us offensively i think that ultimately our best possible season is one with sims playing at QB.

at the very least i think gibson is gonna be a great depth piece and who knows, with the way things are going in college football if sims has a good year he’s gonna be a portal or draft candidate so gibsons 3 years of eligibility is a nice thing to have.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Here’s the article we’ve been expecting for months
Geoff Collins taking larger role in coaching Georgia Tech defense

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...rgia-tech-defense/37MUF6ROLRBRPFSAKGTB6WRWBE/

(Via AJC News)
Not gonna lie. This quote made me chuckle.
After the team finished 3-9 last season and lost its last two games by a combined 100-0, Collins determined that he had to devote more of himself to the actual coaching of the team.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The DL guys sound like they are seeing a steady hand.
White says he is 280# and up from 60%to 90% strength.

Sound like they will be stronger.
What if the 2 4* recruits help. !

Athletic giving has 60 new Heisman Donor!
.Getting some good vibes for second half of 22.
23 could be interesting.

Last edited:

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
It's more likely he was the best we were able to attract out of the portal.

First, GT has not been very good the last few years and lost most of its proven playmakers on offense.
Second it has a returning starting QB.

If you look at where the top ranked QB's in the portal went it is largely to teams that were already good that lost their starting QB.
Ewers to TX, Williams to USC, Dart to Ole Miss, Rattler to SCe, Gabriel to OK, Johnson to TX A&M, Slovis to Pitt.
In every one of those cases the QB is walking into a situation where he is expecting to start and play for a winning team.
I am certain that none that you mentioned would have been scared to come and compete with Sims, they would’ve won hands down. The academic rigor of the Institute and the prospect of playing for a 9-25 (over 3 seasons) was what kept them away.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am certain that none that you mentioned would have been scared to come and compete with Sims, they would’ve won hands down. The academic rigor of the Institute and the prospect of playing for a 9-25 (over 3 seasons) was what kept them away.
Way to state opinion like it’s a fact. I’m sure you were sitting in their living rooms talking to the kids to know all this. About the only thing you said truthfully is that none of them would have been scared to compete. All these kids think they’d be #1 wherever they went.