2020 Atlanta Braves News

Milwaukee

Banned
Cold bats, flat footed baserunning, looking at strike 3. recipes for disaster. Freeman looked awesome on Defense and Soroka was really working after the 1st inning. Maybe if Acuna lost some of his swag/Jewelry he'd be able to sit on a fastball lol jk obviously but not really :D Braves are back B******!

How in the hell does he run with all that garb on is what I’m wondering. That’s some heavy work he’s rocking.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
The Braves announced today that they have signed first baseman Matt Adams. It’s a minor-league arrangement.

Adams had recently opted out of his deal with the division-rival Mets. Though there just wasn’t room for him on the New York roster, it seems the left-handed hitter showed enough to earn a spot in the Atlanta 60-man player pool.

Had a chance to be a hero tonight for the Braves. Relieved he wasn't...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
2:03pm: This deal is now official. Cash considerations will go to Cincinnati in return.

12:47pm: The Braves have struck a deal to acquire outfielder Scott Schebler, MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes reports on Twitter. Schebler had been designated for assignment by the Reds.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Take pitchers from the 90s and they would pitch circles around these kids. Randy Johnson was throwing 90-100 pitches a start in his mid 30s
Well, yeah. Most starters get into the 100s pretty regularly when they pitch well. This is literally still opening day. Pitchers haven’t had a chance to extend yet. I don’t think anybody will get more than 7 innings and 100 pitches their first time out.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Take pitchers from the 90s and they would pitch circles around these kids. Randy Johnson was throwing 90-100 pitches a start in his mid 30s

Pitchers from the 90's? Take pitchers from the 70's or 80's like Nolan Ryan, Jim Palmer, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver. They'd throw 150 pitches if they had to. Whatever it took. Pitch limits these days are only to protect the team's investment in $$'s. Do they help prevent injuries? I would say that the data are inconclusive at this point. Who knows how many pitchers in the 70's and 80's gave up their careers because their elbow hurt. When you can make $1 million or more a year to throw a ball, you'll agree to surgery to keep your career going. 30 years ago, probably not so much.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
We discussed Tony Cloninger a few years ago in this format. He pitched like 13 innings in a game and was never the same again. Was worried two years ago when Newk was trying to no-hit the Dodgers. He looked drained after that. Wasn’t building off that outing. Seemed he was turning a corner, and then a wall went up as a starter.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
We discussed Tony Cloninger a few years ago in this format. He pitched like 13 innings in a game and was never the same again. Was worried two years ago when Newk was trying to no-hit the Dodgers. He looked drained after that. Wasn’t building off that outing. Seemed he was turning a corner, and then a wall went up as a starter.

Brings up memories of the Mets first, and only, no-hitter in team history. Johann Santana was on a pitch count coming back from a shoulder injury. He reached that pitch count in the late innings while throwing a no-hitter... What's a manager to do in front of the home fans who have never had a no-hitter before??? He left him in to throw significantly more than his defined pitch count and Santana got the no-hitter (thanks to a poor call by the 3B ump on a Beltran "foul ball" by the way...).

He may have had a few good games after that, but that was basically the end of his career.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Pitchers from the 90's? Take pitchers from the 70's or 80's like Nolan Ryan, Jim Palmer, Steve Carlton, Tom Seaver. They'd throw 150 pitches if they had to. Whatever it took. Pitch limits these days are only to protect the team's investment in $$'s. Do they help prevent injuries? I would say that the data are inconclusive at this point. Who knows how many pitchers in the 70's and 80's gave up their careers because their elbow hurt. When you can make $1 million or more a year to throw a ball, you'll agree to surgery to keep your career going. 30 years ago, probably not so much.
It all depends on the pitcher. There have been many pitchers who pitched for 15 years in the big leagues who averaged 100-115 pitches a night.

Snit likes to keep his guys in the 80s and 90s. I've always felt he has too much faith in the bullpen. If you don't let the star pitchers do what they are paid to do. Then you lose out on their value anyways with losses in the bullpen.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Brings up memories of the Mets first, and only, no-hitter in team history. Johann Santana was on a pitch count coming back from a shoulder injury. He reached that pitch count in the late innings while throwing a no-hitter... What's a manager to do in front of the home fans who have never had a no-hitter before??? He left him in to throw significantly more than his defined pitch count and Santana got the no-hitter (thanks to a poor call by the 3B ump on a Beltran "foul ball" by the way...).

He may have had a few good games after that, but that was basically the end of his career.
Ended on a good note!

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I mean this sport is vastly different than the 60s-90s. Soroka, if he continues in the direction he is heading, will sign for at least $200 million but probably $300 million plus. While he probably wanted to pitch more, the club isn't going to potentially risk his future when pitchers had two and a half weeks from the official announcement of the season to opening day. It's just not worth it, especially in a short season with 16 playoff teams. There is probably less than a 5% chance we finish out of the playoffs.

Milwaukee

Banned

This is just dumb Mets folklore. He had serious injuries and surgeries years before that no hitter in 2012 and he continued to pitch well after that until he had a foot injury and he started to break down.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I think there's a fair medium on the pitch counts, etc...

But it seems recent years it's went wayyy too far towards the coddle the starters to death.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
This is just dumb Mets folklore. He had serious injuries and surgeries years before that no hitter in 2012 and he continued to pitch well after that until he had a foot injury and he started to break down.

I agree that he had a serious injury that he was coming back from (i.e. shoulder capsule surgery), which is why he was on a pitch count. He threw a career high 134 pitches that night, in his 11th start after major surgery. Did that result in his second shoulder capsule surgery in 2013? Maybe, maybe not. From an ESPN article when the Mets put him on the DL with an ankle injury:

New York Mets left-hander Johan Santana was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with a sprained right ankle. Santana has given up 19 earned runs in his last three starts. In the eight starts since he threw a career-high 134 pitches in a no-hitter June 1, Santana has a 6.54 ERA and has allowed 11 homers in 42 2/3 innings.

So, ESPN and Mets folklore, perhaps, but I don't like those numbers.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I mean this sport is vastly different than the 60s-90s. Soroka, if he continues in the direction he is heading, will sign for at least $200 million but probably $300 million plus. While he probably wanted to pitch more, the club isn't going to potentially risk his future when pitchers had two and a half weeks from the official announcement of the season to opening day. It's just not worth it, especially in a short season with 16 playoff teams. There is probably less than a 5% chance we finish out of the playoffs.
You could def tell Mike hadn thrown much. He didnt have much control in the first 2-2 1/2 innings but I was pleased with his performance. He really settled in well and got his offspeed to go low and away. I really like the kid. We should pay him. He's very Maddux-esque...

Milwaukee

Banned
I agree that he had a serious injury that he was coming back from (i.e. shoulder capsule surgery), which is why he was on a pitch count. He threw a career high 134 pitches that night, in his 11th start after major surgery. Did that result in his second shoulder capsule surgery in 2013? Maybe, maybe not. From an ESPN article when the Mets put him on the DL with an ankle injury:

New York Mets left-hander Johan Santana was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with a sprained right ankle. Santana has given up 19 earned runs in his last three starts. In the eight starts since he threw a career-high 134 pitches in a no-hitter June 1, Santana has a 6.54 ERA and has allowed 11 homers in 42 2/3 innings.

So, ESPN and Mets folklore, perhaps, but I don't like those numbers.

“But there’s a needling little inconsistency in the commonly recited claim that the no-hitter ruined Santana: He actually pitched pretty well for a while thereafter. Santana got hit hard his next time out, but the five starts following the no-hitter saw the lefty go 3-2 with a 3.60 ERA, including eight shutout innings against the Dodgers in the fifth of those on June 30.
And Santana’s complete collapse that season did not come until he injured his ankle on a play at first base against the Cubs on July 6. He allowed two runs over the first four innings that day, then twisted his ankle when Reed Johnson stepped on it on an infield hit to leadoff the fifth. Santana faced six more batters that inning and allowed hits to five of them, including homers to Anthony Rizzo and John Baker.

Santana got torched in his next two outings, then hit the disabled list because of the ankle injury. At the time, Santana — predictably — said his shoulder felt fine and he wanted to continue pitching, but Collins expressed concern that the ankle injury put extra pressure on Santana’s arm and GM Sandy Alderson agreed that “the ankle injury may have led to some general fatigue.”