2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Free Agents (11): Jerry Blevins, Dallas Keuchel, Chris Martin, Darren O’Day, Anthony Swarzak, Josh Tomlin, Francisco Cervelli, Brian McCann, Josh Donaldson, Adeiny Hechavarria, Matt Joyce.

Team Options (4): Julio Teheran ($12 million, $1 million buyout), Tyler Flowers ($6 million, $2 million buyout), Nick Markakis ($6 million, $2 million buyout), Billy Hamilton ($7.5 million, $1 million buyout).

Arbitration (9): Grant Dayton, Mike Foltynewicz, Shane Greene, Luke Jackson, John Ryan Murphy, Dansby Swanson, Charlie Culberson, Adam Duvall, Johan Camargo.

60-Day IL (4): A.J. Minter, Jacob Webb, Alex Jackson, Charlie Culberson.

DFA Candidates: John Ryan Murphy, Rafael Ortega.

League minimum players + Guaranteed contracts + Team options + Arbitration-Eligibles = 33.

That number is important because Atlanta will also have some players that they will have to add to the 40-man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft. Four players jump off the list in outfielder Cristian Pache, catcher William Contreras and pitchers Tucker Davidson and Jasseel DeLaCruz.

Rule 5 protection: Jonathan Morales, Luis Marte, Sean Kazmar Jr. Cristian Pache, Tucker Davidson, Phillip Pfeifer, Jose Rafael De Paula, Corbin Clouse, Jason Creasy, William Contreras, Braxton Davidson, Ryan Casteel, Ray-Patrick Didder, Riley Unroe, Jasseel De La Cruz, Thomas Burrows, Josh Graham, Kurt Hoekstra, Justin Kelly, Bradley Roney, Jeremy Fernandez, Odalvi Javier, Brandon White, Jon Kennedy, Nicolas Shumpert.

Jenista had a 3-hit game in the AFL.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Here is a projection for the arbitration eligible players:
https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/10...e-atlanta-braves-arbitration-eligible-players

Ron Washington has interviewed w/ the Padres.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/cleveland-indians/yasiel-puig-11575/
If he’s not offered arbitration, there would be no draft pick attached. Would you want Atlanta to put Yasiel Puig in LF(Acuna, Inciarte, in RF & CF), maybe platoon with Markakis or Riley?
Last 3 seasons, .277 avg. plus 20 HR’s or >
Ron Washington is too good not to be managing a team somewhere:cigar:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Drew Waters is not eligible to be Rule 5 drafted.

A little research shows, he wasn’t 19 and only has 3 years of pro. baseball:
— A player must have signed when they were 19 years or older and played professional baseball for four years are eligible. Players who signed at 18 and have played five years are also eligible. — Players currently on a team's 40-man roster are "protected" and are not eligible for selection.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-14_13-5-37.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-14_13-5-37.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 14

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Drew Waters is not eligible to be Rule 5 drafted.

A little research shows, he wasn’t 19 and only has 3 years of pro. baseball:
— A player must have signed when they were 19 years or older and played professional baseball for four years are eligible. Players who signed at 18 and have played five years are also eligible. — Players currently on a team's 40-man roster are "protected" and are not eligible for selection in the Rule 5 Draft.
I'll be glad when Spring Training starts it will be interesting to see what the Braves will be like going into the 2020 season. Right now i think they win 88-91 games. I would like to have Yasiel Puig on the 2020 Braves!

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I'll be glad when Spring Training starts it will be interesting to see what the Braves will be like going into the 2020 season. Right now i think they win 88-91 games. I would like to have Yasiel Puig on the 2020 Braves!

Not sure I'm for this Mike (Yasiel Puig) ... seems like we already have one clubhouse distraction on the team, that's enough for me !

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
The hustle thing can be corrected. I'm more concerned that we didn't defend him when the Cards were throwing at him consistently as well as not keeping the hustle discussion in house and private. I'd be a little miffed at the other players and coaches and rightfully so. Again, not excusing the lack of running but he did way more in that series than Freeman and others.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
There have been some rumors swirling around that the Red Sox are considering trading Betts to restock their farm and get under the luxury tax. He also only has 1 more year left on his deal so it makes some sense.

I really doubt that the Red Sox will do it, but I would love for the Braves to make a move for him. If they could do that, then re-signing Donaldson would not be as much of a priority. We would also have the best outfield in baseball.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, the ONLY th8ng that makes sense for the Braves is to find a way to get an ace starter of the caliber of Strasbourg or similar. Pitching wins in the post-season.....witness what the Nats are doing....

Last thing Braves need to worry about is offense....

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, the ONLY th8ng that makes sense for the Braves is to find a way to get an ace starter of the caliber of Strasbourg or similar. Pitching wins in the post-season.....witness what the Nats are doing....

Last thing Braves need to worry about is offense....
I completely understand that and priority #1 is to get pitching this offseason. I want to make a run at Cole. If we can't get him, then I want to sign both Odorizzi and Bumgarner. I also want to see the Braves sign Will Smith at closer.

Having said that, if you can get an MVP caliber player, you do it. I doubt the Sox will trade him, but Betts would make our offense the best in all of baseball.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman has undergone surgery on his right elbow, per a club announcement. He was operated on by Mets team medical director and frequent baseball surgeon Dr. David Altchek.