2020 Atlanta Braves News

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
At what point do we start Riley at 3rd base like he was brought up to do before we found a nugget in The Bringer of Rain and why doesnt Pache get behind the dish? He's a Catcher right? how is his development coming along? I'd love to keep JD but Riley has the same, if not more power but has yet to show off the leather. So many questions!!! This will be a interesting offseason. What about Bullpen issues?

But most importantly, dont let any of this distract you all from the fact that Mike Soroka only pitched ONCE in the NLDS. Never forget.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
At what point do we start Riley at 3rd base like he was brought up to do before we found a nugget in The Bringer of Rain and why doesnt Pache get behind the dish? He's a Catcher right? how is his development coming along? I'd love to keep JD but Riley has the same, if not more power but has yet to show off the leather. So many questions!!! This will be a interesting offseason. What about Bullpen issues?

But most importantly, dont let any of this distract you all from the fact that Mike Soroka only pitched ONCE in the NLDS. Never forget.

I won't forget, GTbow. Don't read the rest of this post though 'cause you gonna wanna kill me ...

At what point do we go 'head and trade Riley for a starting pitching upgrade while he still has value? No need to let him trot out and swing at butterflies and kill the rest of his value.

Don't hit me, gtbow. Well, ok hit me but not in the face. :blackeye:

... dang it, now I can't get back to sleep. I blame you, @Buzzbomb

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I’ve been blamed for worse, kg01. Trying to keep you out of hibernation because we only have this one life to live. Oops, the deep poet in me is leaking out. Please excuse.

Christian Pache is a CF, not a catcher. I think we are going to have to trade for a backstop. Grandal will be going to the highest bidder, most likely not us. A huge drop off in FA after Yasmani at that position.

After Rendon signs, there will be at least 4 teams after The Rain Man. I see him getting 3 years at 75m. Possibly four at 100m. with multiple bidders. Mike Moose has been an All-Star the last three years with great numbers, can hit clean-up, 31 is not too old since he’s been a healthy player. Braves can get him for only 2 years, between 20-25m. total.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Potential Phillies lineup:
1. Andrew McCutchen, CF
2. J.T. Realmuto, C
3. Bryce Harper, RF
4. Josh Donaldson, 3B
5. Rhys Hoskins, 1B
6. Alec Bohm, LF(can this rookie 3B play the OF to accommodate a Rain Main acq.?)
7. Jean Segura, 2B
8. Scott Kingery, SS

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Potential Phillies lineup:
1. Andrew McCutchen, CF
2. J.T. Realmuto, C
3. Bryce Harper, RF
4. Josh Donaldson, 3B
5. Rhys Hoskins, 1B
6. Alec Bohm, LF(can this rookie 3B play the OF to accommodate a Rain Main acq.?)
7. Jean Segura, 2B
8. Scott Kingery, SS
They'll still find a way to suck.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
So I've got an idea for a blockbuster trade with the Cubbies. Bryant and Contreras for Wright, Waters, Riley/Camargo, Touissant, and Jenista.

That fills some major needs for us, would allow us to spend more money on pitching, and would give the Cubs some breathing room financially while restocking their farm system. I think it's a fair trade all around.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
So I've got an idea for a blockbuster trade with the Cubbies. Bryant and Contreras for Wright, Waters, Riley/Camargo, Touissant, and Jenista.

That fills some major needs for us, would allow us to spend more money on pitching, and would give the Cubs some breathing room financially while restocking their farm system. I think it's a fair trade all around.
We have power. We need pitching. How many games did the bullpen blow last season...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We have power. We need pitching. How many games did the bullpen blow last season...
Well, that's what I'm saying. We can afford to trade those prospects to get guys with multiple years of control. The money that we save on not having to sign Grandal or Donaldson would allow us to go after top free agent arms.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I don’t know how much trade value Inciarte has, but I don’t trust him for an entire 2020 in CF. I’d like to package him with a young pitcher not named Wright, Anderson or Wilson, for a decent catcher.

I’m glad Newk. is trying out as a SP in the Spring.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don’t know how much trade value Inciarte has, but I don’t trust him for an entire 2020 in CF. I’d like to package him with a young pitcher not named Wright, Anderson or Wilson, for a decent catcher.

I think you said Inciarte when you meant to say "Riley".

Seriously what would we do without Ender's D?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer

I just really like Newk in the pen.... he really stuggled on the bump when he was in the rotation

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I think you said Inciarte when you meant to say "Riley".

Seriously what would we do without Ender's D?
Actually, Ender rated very low defensively this past season. And that was before the injury. Seems like when his defense was there, his bat wasn’t or when he starts to produce, he comes up lame.

A.A. has stated Riley is going to have to earn a position in S.T.
Said they were still high on him, his future. Not that a G.M. is going to rip his assets.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
G.M. is stating ALL Atlanta Braves coaches will return. Anticipating Ron Washington will stay, as he has no other interviews scheduled.

Sean Newcomb has asked for a chance to be a starter again. Alex A. says he will allow Newk. an opportunity to get stretched out. Starters are: Soroka, Fried, Folty.
Braves will add one to the mix and hope internally someone takes a step forward like Max Fried did coming into 2019.

Bullpen might add a few parts, although he said “probably nothing splashy.”

Catcher and filling in at 3B are priorities. If they can’t sign Donaldson, they have a draft pick coming that would offset giving one up for another SP(whom has one possibly attached).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Braves have signed closer Will Smith to a three-year contract, the team announced. The three guaranteed years will pay Smith $39MM, and Atlanta has a $13MM club option for 2023. That option contains a $1MM buyout, as per The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal (Twitter link), bringing the total value of the deal to $40MM. Smith is represented by CAA Sports.

Atlanta loses its third highest pick, in which they stand to get it back if Donaldson signs with another club.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Jake Odorizzi and Jose Abreu accepted qualifying offers for the 1 year, 17.8 m. amount with Minn. and White Sox. Apparently Will Smith turned the Giants down or was going to, before the Braves signed him to a FA deal.

Here are the seven players who rejected their former team’s one-year, $17.8MM qualifying offer...

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Jake Odorizzi and Jose Abreu accepted qualifying offers for the 1 year, 17.8 m. amount with Minn. and White Sox. Apparently Will Smith turned the Giants down or was going to, before the Braves signed him to a FA deal.

Here are the seven players who rejected their former team’s one-year, $17.8MM qualifying offer...
AWESOME SIGNING FOR AA!:cool: I'm cautiously optimistic about the Braves bullpen in 2020.:cool: