2020 Atlanta Braves News

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I guess you get what you pay for. He hit .209 in 63 games. Strictly a platoon guy, and we typically only carry two catchers(hearing Cervelli will not be kept). Lifetime .232 hitter. Looking at Jason Castro, he’s not much more of an upgrade. With Flowers around, you almost need 3 catchers with platooning and age or we wouldn’t be able to use them as pinch-hitters.

One sportswriter suggests Atlanta get together with the Padres for a young backstop. I don’t see that as fruitful with the 2 future guys we have who can be here by 2021:
https://www.eastvillagetimes.com/2019/08/the-san-diego-padres-have-depth-at-catcher/

Grandal would be costly. You get more, and spend way more. He’s not coming on a one or two year deal either. Too big of a market for him, with a huge drop off to the next catcher down the FA pool list.

Hey, speaking of the SD Fathers (sorry, that never gets old for me), I was (half)listening to MLBRadio a few months ago and they were talking about how colossally they botched their season. Something to do with the handling of their young stars, etc.

What's the story there?

Sorry for the semi-off topic query but that's what you get for being my only baseball knowledge people.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Let me quantify, that I don’t follow the SD Priests very much. Mike, probably needs to chime in to give you a better perspective.

I know they have only had 14 winning seasons in their history. Fox TV West was really hurting in 2018 with them, as people were not tuning in. Attendance never competes with other markets. They gave Manny Machado what he wanted last season to lead the future. I like Fernando Tatis, Jr. Hearing SD will throw the moon in the deal to entice Stephen Strasburg. He’s from West Hills and was sensational at SD St. Aztecs. If I were them, I’d put an emphasis on the Farm System a little more, and not spend on FA until they get closer to the top consistently.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Let me quantify, that I don’t follow the SD Priests very much. Mike, probably needs to chime in to give you a better perspective.

I know they have only had 14 winning seasons in their history. Fox TV West was really hurting in 2018 with them, as people were not tuning in. Attendance never competes with other markets. They gave Manny Machado what he wanted last season to lead the future. I like Fernando Tatis, Jr. Hearing SD will throw the moon in the deal to entice Stephen Strasburg. He’s from West Hills and was sensational at SD St. Aztecs. If I were them, I’d put an emphasis on the Farm System a little more, and not spend on FA until they get closer to the top consistently.

Yeah, that jogs my faulty memory a bit. They were saying Tatis, Jr. was talented but he and a few others got rushed to appease Machado and it didn't turn out well. The part I can't recall is why, according to them, Tatis' season failed. I remember him tattooing the Braves during that series in SD.

Where's crazy uncle Mike when you need him and his nonsensical wealth of unrelated knowledge?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer

San Diego has poor ownership that has pretty much always fallen short of making them a winner. I really don't expect them to make the moves the Padres need to make to become a winner.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Earth to Cloud 9, please allow Fred J. to “Bee” released long enough to give the D.C. skinny on Strasburg.
Baseball trolls expecting Rendon to the Texas teams. Say it ain’t so, while isn’t it too early to speculate?

We are repoing Fred, he was ours first. Come back to the five and dime, good buddy(he’s been keeping up big time with the GT Beesball schedule).

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Earth to Cloud 9, please allow Fred J. to “Bee” released long enough to give the D.C. skinny on Strasburg.
Baseball trolls expecting Rendon to the Texas teams. Say it ain’t so, while isn’t it too early to speculate?

We are repoing Fred, he was ours first. Come back to the five and dime, good buddy(he’s been keeping up big time with the GT Beesball schedule).
The Rangers will be fighting it out with A's for an AL Wildcard spot if Rendon goes to Arlington,Texas

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@Buzzbomb LOL! I can't get my quote a post function to work.. but yours made me laugh. I will tear myself away from the Jackets baseball scheduling thing (spoiler.. about to add Gardner Webb) :)

I have nothing but some media "gossip" and my "feels"... both of which when added to a quarter will get you whatever a quarter gets you these days.

Rendon - The Nationals want him to stay. The Nationals are not known (yet) for paying for position players. I think Rendon may be the 1st they make a serious run on. Rendon is different...in a lot of ways. I still think he will want to hook up with the right team "situation" even if it means taking a little less money. Emphasis on a "little" less. He will still let the market reward his talents... he deserves it. I think the way the Nationals get him will be to pay him more for a shorter term. Like I said... he is different. Reports are he is not interested in playing baseball for a long time. So... you may see something more like a 4-5 year deal (more $$ per year) instead of the typical 7+ year thing for studs at his age/position. Basically, offer to pay him up to end of his career... assuming he has an idea when he wants to hang it up. I feel like he'll get signed by Nationals or Rangers or Braves...in no particular order. I can't see him going to a huge market team (i.e NY or Chicago or LA) [Personal note - I LOVE Rendon. LOVE HIM! His low-key approach and below radar personality is great. Love the way he plays the game too. I was on record saying I would be very upset if he did not get signed by Nationals. Winning the WS dampens that some. Plus... he has played MVP caliber ball especially over the last half of the season and his post-season was phenomenal. That puts him in even a higher status as a FA... my hope earlier in the year was the Nationals would extend/re-sign him during the season. Once it was obvious he'd wait to test the FA market, I knew the odds were low he'd remain in DC. ...but we're not dead, yet]

Strasburg - HE is another "different" guy. I am even more sure he won't end up in a big market/media city. He and his family now call DC home (have for years). When he signed this last contract, he did the unusual thing of signing mid-season (very weird with Boras as his agent). So... nothing has changed. He won't necessarily do "what the typical FA pitcher" does. I think that favors the Nationals. I heard an interesting tidbit the other day. Apparently, the Nationals have their own dedicated "research" on how a pitcher responds to Tommy John. Strasburg is in this category. If you recall (and related, I think) in 2012 he was famously "shutdown" after a predetermined number of innings and missed the post-season that year. The organization was universally criticized for doing that (shutdown) at the expense (theoretically) of a deep post-season run. Anyway... there is talk that this "research" may include an assumption that a pitcher's shelf life post-TJ surgery is limited. In other words, it is just a matter of time when Strasburg he'll require a 2nd procedure; and the Nationals must have a number of years in mind. With that thought, the Nationals may not be willing to sign him long-term. Not sure how much stock to put in all that.. but I found it interesting.

My "feels" are the Nationals probably won't re-sign both guys or lose both guys... although, it is possible both of those things could happen. I think the odds are a little better it is Strasburg who returns... and not Rendon.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Wow, Fred! Fantastic report. Thank you!!....and your quarter is worth more than mine. With my nickel and two dimes, the nickel burned a hole in that pocket and fell through. If found, please return to Todd Stansbury, AD w/ GTAA.

I’d give my 4 back wisdom teeth for Rendon to the Braves(Dentist told me I can keep them years ago, as long as they stay clean-so always brush extra in the rear parts of the mouth). He is so clutch. Best 3B in baseball, period! Has to be a Nats. priority within reason. Appreciate your insight on him.

Interesting detail on Strasburg. I was totally unaware of the second TJ surgery needed per medical knowledge of shelf life. It would compute that he’s not like a Greinke or Seaver type, who can pitch forever without arm/shoulder/elbow problems. I was aware of his shutdown and how it affected Washington in 2012. He has logged a lot of innings, while throwing awfully hard with that heater. Again, much appreciation for the information on him and your personal take included.

I’d rather the Braves develop Kyle Wright and not give up on him, rather than enter the sweepstakes for Strasburg or Cole or any huge name.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Wow, Fred! Fantastic report. Thank you!!....and your quarter is worth more than mine. With my nickel and two dimes, the nickel burned a hole in that pocket and fell through. If found, please return to Todd Stansbury, AD w/ GTAA.

I’d give my 4 back wisdom teeth for Rendon to the Braves(Dentist told me I can keep them years ago, as long as they stay clean-so always brush extra in the rear parts of the mouth). He is so clutch. Best 3B in baseball, period! Has to be a Nats. priority within reason. Appreciate your insight on him.

Interesting detail on Strasburg. I was totally unaware of the second TJ surgery needed per medical knowledge of shelf life. It would compute that he’s not like a Greinke or Seaver type, who can pitch forever without arm/shoulder/elbow problems. I was aware of his shutdown and how it affected Washington in 2012. He has logged a lot of innings, while throwing awfully hard with that heater. Again, much appreciation for the information on him and your personal take included.

I’d rather the Braves develop Kyle Wright and not give up on him, rather than enter the sweepstakes for Strasburg or Cole or any huge name.
I hope the Braves hold on to Dallas Keuchel because i don't want the Braves pitching staff going into 2020 without a veteran hurler:cigar:

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Oh good night, for O’Day.....
.....The Braves have re-signed veteran reliever Darren O’Day, per a club announcement. He’ll receive a guarantee of $2.25MM in the contract, which covers the 2020 campaign and includes a $3.5MM club option for another season.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Wow a colossal waste of money by AA:rolleyes::banghead::grumpy::sour::meh:
After the right forearm injury, his fastball never reached 87. He has had chronic hamstring injuries at 37 y.o. I’m guessing the Braves logic was, if we paid him 9 m. for 7 innings last season, this is a bargain and low risk, high reward. They also might argue he throws sidearm and is a compliment to the hard throwers. Doesn’t walk people over his 12 years.

Personally, my hopes are for a revamped bullpen. Not looking that way. Some teams don’t spend their budget on relief pitching. We are one of those clubs and after the last couple of seasons in futility-not looking like much change is coming.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
After the right forearm injury, his fastball never reached 87. He has had chronic hamstring injuries at 37 y.o. I’m guessing the Braves logic was, if we paid him 9 m. for 7 innings last season, this is a bargain and low risk, high reward. They also might argue he throws sidearm and is a compliment to the hard throwers. Doesn’t walk people over his 12 years.

Personally, my hopes are for a revamped bullpen. Not looking that way. Some teams don’t spend their budget on relief pitching. We are one of those clubs and after the last couple of seasons in futility-not looking like much change is coming.
I think the Braves will pretty much have to deal with the same bullpen minus Chris Martin and a few others that they had to deal with in 2019:grumpy:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I think the Braves will pretty much have to deal with the same bullpen minus Chris Martin and a few others that they had to deal with in 2019:grumpy:
I think you’re right. They might not sign Blevins because Grant Dayton is expected to be healthy. Helps to get Jacob Webb back. Looks like AJ Minter will get another chance. Greene will get picked up for another year. Stuck with the Melon and his 14 m. salary. I sure hope they deal Sliderman for something, anything. Another year of him, and I’m going tu es loco!

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I think you’re right. They might not sign Blevins because Grant Dayton is expected to be healthy. Helps to get Jacob Webb back. Looks like AJ Minter will get another chance. Greene will get picked up for another year. Stuck with the Melon and his 14 m. salary. I sure hope they deal Sliderman for something, anything. Another year of him, and I’m going tu es loco!
The Braves need to start selling Your Friendly Neighborhood Sliderman tee shirts:LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Tomahawk Take:
5 most likely to be traded-Austin Riley, Touki T., Bryce Wilson, Kyle Wright, Drew Waters(they think Pache will be the superstar).
5 FA to be resigned-O’Day(we discovered this last night), RainMan, Hechavarria, Chris Martin, Josh Tomlin.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
RainMan Josh is thought to be in the Texas Rangers plan as a DH.

MLB Pipeline names 30 candidates, one for each team, for the 2020 Rookie of the Year. The Braves pick is outfielder Cristian Pache who has the potential to force his way into Atlanta’s outfield picture.

Ronald Acuña Jr. joined elite company Thursday night when he took home a Silver Slugger Award becoming just the third player to win one at age 21 or younger. Ken Griffey, Jr. and Mike Trout are the other two.