2020 Atlanta Braves News

GT_EE78

Banned

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
i'm only a little more optimistic than you but agree this roster isn't likely to win division.
I'd put a top notch starter as top priority, then a catcher.
signing a 3B third as i think Riley has 50% chance to bat .250 w 35 HR
What ya'll think top priorities should be?

Top Priorities

1)3rd Base
2)Starting Pitcher
3) Top Shelf Catcher

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
As Alan speculates in his recent article, the Braves still could have anywhere from $28-$48 million to spend this offseason.

That should be enough for Atlanta to make two big moves– most likely for a third baseman and starting pitcher.

Phillies are striking up talks with Mike Moose Moustakas.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
As Alan speculates in his recent article, the Braves still could have anywhere from $28-$48 million to spend this offseason.

That should be enough for Atlanta to make two big moves– most likely for a third baseman and starting pitcher.

Phillies are striking up talks with Mike Moose Moustakas.
Without a top shelf 3rd baseman i think the Braves win 81-84 games in 2020 because their hitting will tail off in my opinion.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Barring any non-tenders or trading, the Braves are up to 100m. on the payroll books. Last year, 144m. So if A.A. & Perry M. & Terry McGuirk are willing to spend that or more, Atlanta still has 1/3 of a budget to go in space. Probably want a hold 10m. for any FA in June left lingering or July trade deadline.

Between Will Smith, Mark Melancon, and Shane Greene, the Braves could be committing roughly $33.5MM in salary to three relievers next season.

GT_EE78

Banned
Without a top shelf 3rd baseman i think the Braves win 81-84 games in 2020 because their hitting will tail off in my opinion.
I may be higher on Riley as the long term solution than you are, but I'd still agree that 3B is the logical spot to land a cleanup hitter as Riley's curveball hitting may or may not be resolved this year . That 4th slot won't be a catcher or Acuna so if we can't land (Donaldson,Rendon,or a Moose taco) , the next most logical way to find a cleanup hitter is moving Acuna to CF to get a RF/LF while Riley is struggling at third. I'm not optimistic but still hoping
Donaldson settles for a short term deal. will settle for moose taco.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I may be higher on Riley as the long term solution than you are, but I'd still agree that 3B is the logical spot to land a cleanup hitter as Riley's curveball hitting may or may not be resolved this year . That 4th slot won't be a catcher or Acuna so if we can't land (Donaldson,Rendon,or a Moose taco) , the next most logical way to find a cleanup hitter is moving Acuna to CF to get a RF/LF while Riley is struggling at third. I'm not optimistic but still hoping
Donaldson settles for a short term deal. will settle for moose taco.
I would like the Braves to resign Josh Donaldson or sign another top shelf 3rd baseman to a 2 year deal and give the 3rd base job to Austin Riley in 2022. I think Austin Riley may have his hitting problems hopefully figured out by then.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Top Priorities

1)3rd Base
2)Starting Pitcher
3) Top Shelf Catcher

We could almost labels this 1A-1B-1C because they are all Top Priorities ... but if I had to pick a #1, I think I'd pick Top Shelf Catcher, I'm scared to death of seeing too much of Tyler Flowers next year.
Finally ... I really (x100) hope we resign Donaldson !!!

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
We could almost labels this 1A-1B-1C because they are all Top Priorities ... but if I had to pick a #1, I think I'd pick Top Shelf Catcher, I'm scared to death of seeing too much of Tyler Flowers next year.
Finally ... I really (x100) hope we resign Donaldson !!!
I would be nervous that Tyler Flowers would be starting with a possible below .210 batting average:grumpy:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Moose can hit cleanup and take up the pressure. See my previous posts on Mike Moustakas. He and Hammels and we still have enough for Grandal. Will Smith cost us our sandwich pick, Donaldson will bring it back.

I’d like Rain Man too, but it’s not realistic. I might have to eat my right handed cold winter glove. Gladly!

I think we’re going for it all, in 2020.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
The Braves “have some interest” in free agent outfielder Marcell Ozuna, hears Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Atlanta joins the previously-known Cardinals, Reds, White Sox, Rangers, and Marlins in the early sweepstakes for the corner outfielder. . Signing the 29-year-old Ozuna, a qualifying offer recipient, would cost the Braves their second-highest draft choice and $500K of international bonus pool space.

I read somewhere that he is being predicted to be a Cincinnati signee ...

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Cardinals might be the front runner for Ozuna. Not that I profess to know where any of these guys are going.
Nobody knew Will Smith from Newnan would be a Brave, not even my sources that work for Atlanta.

I’m hearing we have a shot at Grandal. I’ll believe that when I see it. Same with Josh Rain, although again, hearing he signed is the gospel in writing(might have a better shot at him than Yasmani and Marcell).

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
The Cardinals might be the front runner for Ozuna. Not that I profess to know where any of these guys are going.
Nobody knew Will Smith from Newnan would be a Brave, not even my sources that work for Atlanta.

I’m hearing we have a shot at Grandal. I’ll believe that when I see it. Same with Josh Rain, although again, hearing he signed is the gospel in writing(might have a better shot at him than Yasmani and Marcell).
I get the bad feeling that the only major acquisition the Braves will have made in the offseason is Will Smith:rolleyes: If that's the case the Braves will barely have a winning record and they will not make the Playoffs:grumpy: