1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

2020 Atlanta Braves News

Discussion in 'College & Pro Sports' started by YellowJacketFan2018, Oct 14, 2019.

1. YellowJacketFan2018

YellowJacketFan2018 Helluva Engineer

The fans should do the chop anyway:cigar:

GT_EE78 likes this.
  2. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

You may have nailed it there.Having a veteran starter that you can count on to go deep in a critical games makes a huge difference.

Buzzbomb and YellowJacketFan2018 like this.
  3. Buzzbomb

Buzzbomb Helluva Engineer

Exactly! As you stated, having 4 solid starters with 3 of them being studs who can throw more than 100 pitches in a game while still being effective is huge. Having a lefty like Corbin(who I wanted long-term, before Keuchel)that you can bridge the late innings with, is invaluable. Tehran should have never been a late relief guy. I would have traded for Daniel Hudson in July, instead of any of those three suspects we acquired. I said it back then, we never got the true closer. Newcomb should have been our Sean Doolittle.

4. Buzzbomb

Wong beat out Albies, Arenado beat out Donaldson, Rendon for Gold Gloves.
    JT Realmuto won one at Catcher. Bryce Harper was nominated as was Jason Hayward, but neither received one.

YellowJacketFan2018 likes this.
  5. Buzzbomb

• GREENE $6.5m
    • FOLYNEWICZ $7.5m
    • CULBERSON $1.8m
    • DUVALL $3.8m
    • MURPHY – to be non-tendered
    • SWANSON – $3.3m
    • JACKSON – $1.9m
    • DAYTON – 800K
    • CAMARGO – $1.6m
    These add up to $26.3 million, all projected..... $123.7 million to go.....
    • FREEMAN $22m
    • ALBIES $1m
      INCIARTE $5.5m
      ACUNA $1m
      Mark Melancon: $14 million
    • All of the remaining pitchers are ‘pre-arb’, which means that Atlanta will pay them something between the league minimum ($555,000 plus a ‘cost of living’ adjustment) and $600,000… roughly the limit of what Atlanta chooses to dispense to their controllable players.

GT_EE78 and YellowJacketFan2018 like this.
  6. Buzzbomb

7. YellowJacketFan2018

I can't wait to see him play at Suntrust Park:cool:

Buzzbomb likes this.
  8. Buzzbomb

Flowers signs a 1 year, 6 m. $ deal. Signed for 4 m. after the 2 m. option was bought out.
    I don’t suppose we could turn around and deal him? Not sure any MLB team needs a multi-million dollar catcher who can’t catch or throw?

Same deal with Markakis, 1 year @ 6 m. Option of 2 m. bought out, contract signed @4m.

In both deals, Atlanta bought out the option of 2 m. on each player. Then signed them for 4 m. each. Thus, only 8 m. counts against the salary cap for 2020. Instead of 12 m.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  9. GTJake

GTJake Helluva Engineer

Like the Markakis resign, can't figure out why we resigned Flowers unless he is truly only used as a backup, but a backup to who ?????

Buzzbomb likes this.
  10. Buzzbomb

Donaldson was tendered.
    It was equally obvious that Donaldson would receive the $17.8MM qualifying offer at $17.8MM. The Braves paid him more than that for one season already and got everything they bargained for. There’s no question Donaldson will turn down the offer and take to free agency.

Tehran was not picked up. The only surprise there, was for the “experts’ that speculated Atlanta might pick up his option and try to trade him. That ship sailed long ago.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    YellowJacketFan2018 likes this.
  11. Buzzbomb

I’m with you. Kakes is worth 6 m. as a 4th OF. A guy to start the season in RF, as a bridge to Pache.

Flowers didn’t start any of the 5 playoff games last month, did he? We were afraid to use him. It’s mistake number 1 of the off-season in my eyes.

GTJake likes this.
  12. GT_EE78

GT_EE78 Helluva Engineer

Nats revel in White House Visit.
    > good for them . Most attended
    > Suzuki wore a #MAGA hat
    > only a few SJW's , we can skip them if free agents
    Closer Sean Didlittle was the first player to publicly decline the invitation over the weekend. Other players who did not make an appearance Monday: third baseman Anthony Rendon; outfielders Michael A. Taylor, Victor Robles and Wilmer Difo; and pitchers Joe Ross, Javy Guerra and Wander Suero.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ionals-maga-hat-white-house-trump/4156375002/

13. YellowJacketFan2018

That makes me like the Nationals even more!:D

14. YellowJacketFan2018

There goes a big chunk of the Braves hitting:banghead: If Josh Donaldson leaves the Braves i think the Braves finish 86-76 and miss the NL Playoffs:rolleyes:

15. THWG

THWG Helluva Engineer

It doesn't mean that this will be the only contract the Braves offer him, but it gives the Braves some protection if he does leave.

16. YellowJacketFan2018

Oh okay(y)

THWG likes this.
  17. Buzzbomb

18. Buzzbomb

19. YellowJacketFan2018

20. Buzzbomb