2020 Atlanta Braves News

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Tyler Flowers option?
He led all of baseball in passed balls in 2019, and he really doesn’t do a great job of calling a game or throwing out runners.
And he’s hit under .230 for two straight seasons now, so he brings very little offensively.

...and I don’t want Alex Jackson as the back-up backstop!

We need two catchers, although realistically Langliers probably isn’t ready. So we need an every day guy + most likely stuck with Flow for another year. Personally, I would throw the moon at Grandal and find a bargain by March to back him up.
Tyler Flowers had to go!:grumpy:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Tyler Flowers option?
He led all of baseball in passed balls in 2019, and he really doesn’t do a great job of calling a game or throwing out runners.
And he’s hit under .230 for two straight seasons now, so he brings very little offensively.

...and I don’t want Alex Jackson as the back-up backstop!

We need two catchers, although realistically Langliers probably isn’t ready. So we need an every day guy + most likely stuck with Flow for another year. Personally, I would throw the moon at Grandal and find a bargain by March to back him up.
I would like to see us go after Tom Murphy (one of the Mariners catchers) or Jason Castro. Langeliers and Contreras are probably both a year or two away, so we just need a stop gap.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Division competition:
The Mets will make Carlos Beltran their next manager, according to multiple reports. It appears Sid Rosenberg of TalkRadio 77 WABC had the first word on Twitter. Anthony DiComo of MLB.com independently reported the news (via Twitter). Per Andy Martino of SNY.tv (via Twitter), an agreement has yet to be finalized but Beltran has indeed been chosen for the position.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Division competition:
The Mets will make Carlos Beltran their next manager, according to multiple reports. It appears Sid Rosenberg of TalkRadio 77 WABC had the first word on Twitter. Anthony DiComo of MLB.com independently reported the news (via Twitter). Per Andy Martino of SNY.tv (via Twitter), an agreement has yet to be finalized but Beltran has indeed been chosen for the position.
Interesting pick but i think the Mets will still be in 4th place in the NL East in 2020:cigar:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Watching the World Series... an underrated thing (imo) that teams must have to succeed in post-season is a lineup that simply does not swing at balls out of strike zone. No team has 8-9 guys like this; but both the Astros & Nationals had quite a few. The pressure it puts on pitching is hard to quantify. More runners on base... pitch counts up.

Not diminishing the obvious things like elite starting pitching & reliable bullpens; but having 3-4 relatively easy outs in the lineup gets exposed in playoffs making scoring runs very difficult.

There is a story about Juan Soto as a teenager (he's only barely 21 now) early in his time in Nationals organization. Seeking advice...He asked a coach what he needed to do to make it to the majors. The advice.... "Only swing at strikes. If you prove you can do that, you will get there quickly" His response... "Really. That's it?" He proceeded to work & focus on learning the strike zone. Was playing in MLB at 19. His plate discipline is outstanding. In game 7 the other night... he came up after Rendon hit his HR to pull within 1 run. The fact he worked a walk taking at least 1 borderline pitch instead of swinging away to try to go back to back (he's only 21) was HUGE. The BB got Greinke out of the game. And set table for Kendrick to hit his go-ahead (for good) HR.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Players who filed for free agency or retired (11)
Jerry Blevins, Dallas Keuchel, Chris Martin, Darren O’Day, Anthony Swarzak, Josh Tomlin, Francisco Cervelli, Josh Donaldson, Adeiny Hechavarria, Matt Joyce and Brian McCann.

McCann is headed for retirement but the rest of this group will hit the open market. Donaldson is the only one of the group who is expected to receive a Qualifying Offer.

Atlanta currently has 29 players on the 40-man roster. Activating the four from the injured list will bring that total to 33. They can lower that number by declining any of the four contract options by Tuesday(Kakes, Tehran, Flowers; Hamilton is already out). The Braves will need open spots for several prospects including Cristian Pache and William Contreras who will be Rule 5 eligible this winter, so this will be something to track as the offseason progresses.

GT_EE78

Banned
> there's just too much political correctness in the world today(especially AJC).
>> shame on the Braves for caving in to that a-hole social justice warrior for game 5 and going chopless
>there's a petition (see Link 2)
Online petition to keep Braves tomahawk chop nears 60,000
https://www.ajc.com/news/state--reg...mahawk-chop-nears-000/AXu0jcTgPkGwQyhS7i5fSI/
https://www.change.org/p/atlanta-braves-atlanta-braves-keep-the-tomahawk-chop-and-chant/u/25266733
upload_2019-11-3_10-19-24.jpeg

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I wish it were that easy to blame the lack of a chop. The Redbirds took us to the woodshed that night. All the rice in China, would not have mattered. Losing the lead in those two losses prior, set up that awful, pitiful Game 5. If you look at Washington and the few pitchers they trusted with their leads, you will find the difference in hiding weaknesses.