2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I’m with you guys. Although, Weigel would be as high as I might go since Newk. And Riley are being included. Not Wright, Wilson, Anderson or Mueller.
I’d rather have Ozuna, but the competition and bidding could get out of whack and table those desires. The sandwich picks don’t faze me, even with the International penalties served.

We do need a power bat. It’s been suggested we move Freddie down to 4th, which I don’t like. He protected J.D. and vice versa. Can work with what we have for the 5 spot, but can you imagine Freeman, Bryant and Ozuna together?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I’m with you guys. Although, Weigel would be as high as I might go since Newk. And Riley are being included. Not Wright, Wilson, Anderson or Mueller.
I’d rather have Ozuna, but the competition and bidding could get out of whack and table those desires. The sandwich picks don’t faze me, even with the International penalties served.

We do need a power bat. It’s been suggested we move Freddie down to 4th, which I don’t like. He protected J.D. and vice versa. Can work with what we have for the 5 spot, but can you imagine Freeman, Bryant and Ozuna together?
That would be a damn strong lineup:):cool::D:smuggrin:

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
He's going to get around $25m per year. He's 34. The term will be 3 yrs minimum... likely 4. That is a big gamble for a guy his age.

Braves get last word... so it seems, either Nats "really overpay" him OR Braves just "regular overpay" him.
I'm going to be optimistic and say the Braves will way overpay for Josh Donaldson and will get to keep him at 3rd base until 2021:):cool::D:smuggrin:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
If it’s 3 years, it could be upwards of 27.5 m. per A.A.V.(average annual value).

DEC. 19: It’s “believed” the Nationals and Twins are willing to go to four years for Donaldson, according to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (subscription link). The Dodgers and Braves are still in the hunt, per Rosenthal, though he notes both teams could be hesitant to go to the four-year length to land Donaldson.

Whether or not there’s a formal offer on the table isn’t known. But the Nats are “aggressive” in their pursuit of Donaldson, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network (via Twitter). Indeed, the team is prepared to bid upwards of $90MM on a four-year term, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter).

I remain sold on the Nats. over the Braves. Deferred money, gets it done.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It is all pretty interesting. You guys have made me follow the FA season way more closely than I have in past. No matter what happens, I'll be paying very close attention to 3B production between Atlanta & Washington. Could be difference in the race... but also perhaps impossible to actually correlate.

Either way... I'm already looking forward to 2020 NL EAST action!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Fred, you have really good OF proven talent with youth. For the rest of the team, it looks like the next 3-5 years is your window of opportunity. Read on a service that the Nats. had a farm system ranking of 27th. Ouch! Kieboom was the only lock for MLB.
Hope they are wrong. It will be a battle the next few years, no doubting that.

The Braves won’t go too far with paying Josh, even though he has an emotional attachment with Alex Anthopoulos. I think he trades for Bryant or makes a few trades to upgrade his OF and left side IF, maybe a veteran who can play 3B and SS. Not necessarily superstars, but power bats who can play some defense. Another SP.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fred, you have really good OF proven talent with youth. For the rest of the team, it looks like the next 3-5 years is your window of opportunity. Read on a service that the Nats. had a farm system ranking of 27th. Ouch! Kieboom was the only lock for MLB.
Hope they are wrong. It will be a battle the next few years, no doubting that.

The Braves won’t go too far with paying Josh, even though he has an emotional attachment with Alex Anthopoulos. I think he trades for Bryant or makes a few trades to upgrade his OF and left side IF, maybe a veteran who can play 3B and SS. Not necessarily superstars, but power bats who can play some defense.
Totally agree. In other words we (meaning the Swarm folks) need to enjoy this while it lasts. Nationals have a rebuild coming. Braves seem to be well positioned long term.

BTW... I was thinking about this. I attended 5 Nationals games last year. Miami, Philly, & 3xBraves. The Nats were 2-3 in those games. [0-3 v Braves]. I intend to setup a "Fredtix" account & you guys can contribute at your discretion... see how serious you are about helping your team. ;)