2020 Atlanta Braves News

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm confused why the Braves couldn't or wouldn't offer something close to get Baumg ... Bamg ... Baumbur ... MadBum.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I’ve heard 5 years/85m. or 4/82. Could be a 3m. buyout included in year 5?
This isn’t intended to be an attack on Bum, but I would not give any pitcher with high mileage on his arm, more than a year or two. It cripples the team, when they go bad or get hurt. Sure exceptions exist, named Maddux, Seaver, Strasburg, Scherzer, et al.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’ve heard 5 years/85m. or 4/82. Could be a 3m. buyout included in year 5?
This isn’t intended to be an attack on Bum, but I would not give any pitcher with high mileage on his arm, more than a year or two. It cripples the team, when they go bad or get hurt. Sure exceptions exist, named Maddux, Seaver, Strasburg, Scherzer, et al.

I don't understand the salary structure in mlb. There's no actual "cap" is there? So does the crippling happen due to team-mandated salary capping basically?

Like would having him the 2 healthy years make it worth it having to pay him the 2 unhealthy years assuming you win enough in the first 2 years?

I feel I could've asked that in a much less convoluted manner.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I don't understand the salary structure in mlb. There's no actual "cap" is there? So does the crippling happen due to team-mandated salary capping basically?

Like would having him the 2 healthy years make it worth it having to pay him the 2 unhealthy years assuming you win enough in the first 2 years?

I don’t understand it, either? Supply and Demand, I get that. Bidding wars, I get them. When the team payroll gets to a certain level, they try to trim by practically giving players away. I don’t get that thinking. Then they want to compete when the fans. get restless a few years later. Trade a bunch of upcoming young prospects for a guy like the one they gave away. Maybe I’m oversimplifying. Take Jason Hayward, very good defensively. He’s always been fairly inconsistent with the bat. Like Francoeur(never reached super status), a role player. Cubs have shopped for a long time. Long-term deals are more risky, so instead of keeping Bryant for a year or two more, they have to trade him to make up for the mistakes they gave Joe Maddon. Time to semi-rebuild.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer

There's no cap but there is a luxury tax. So crippling comes more from the fact that it keeps you from spending in other areas because of your self imposed cap for some owners, and luxury tax for others.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Isn’t the luxury tax the reason Atlanta didn’t pick up salaries on Kakes and Flowe? Paid the option. Resigned them to the exact same amounts.

@Southpawmac , Does club insurance still exist on injured players? I’ll put down my little finger and read your answer. Thank you!

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Isn’t the luxury tax the reason Atlanta didn’t pick up salaries on Kakes and Flowe? Paid the option. Resigned them to the exact same amounts.

@Southpawmac , Does club insurance still exist on injured players? I’ll put down my little finger and read your answer. Thank you!
I think it had more to do with where they wanted money to appear for real tax purposes since the buyouts ($4 million) go on the 2019 payroll and the new contracts($8 million) on 2020. Luxury tax for 2020 is $208 million and $210 for 2021. I don't think we will get that high.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Seems like the later it gets the slimmer our chances are of resigning Donaldson ... he's letting the other pieces fall into place to make himself a "must get" for the team with the missing piece in order to drive-up his value.
And it seems to be working ...

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Some elevated talk up here regarding Daniel Hudson. He would like a multi-year deal. Nationals more interested in him on a one year arrangement....the norm for Nats & the bullpen. Some saying Nats have begun to entertain idea of more than 1 year with Hudson. Interesting. Stay tuned, I guess.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Seems like the later it gets the slimmer our chances are of resigning Donaldson ... he's letting the other pieces fall into place to make himself a "must get" for the team with the missing piece in order to drive-up his value.
And it seems to be working ...
I hope AA will trade or make a deal for a quality hard hitting outfielder if Josh Donaldson isn't resigned but i wont be shocked if he does nothing:rolleyes::grumpy::sour::meh::banghead:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Would you vote for a known steroid user on your ballot?

....I would not! Andruw Jones would get my vote. 10- Gold Gloves, 434 HR’s, 152 SB’s, 1933 Hits, 1289 RBI’s.

Last edited: