2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Per Bowman article:
Culberson will come to Spring Training hoping to fill one of the five bench spots on Atlanta's active roster, which will expand to 26 players for Opening Day. The Braves are hoping to re-sign Adeiny Hechavarria or another capable backup shortstop.

Even with the potential returns of Hechavarria and Matt Joyce, there could be a spot for Culberson, who can play each of the infield and outfield spots.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
This Josh Donaldson thing is fun! Winner wins division? :):);)
Loser gets Wild Card, wins World Series?

Side note: He’s good defensively in the saved runs dept. Then, I heard a sabermetrician explain that it’s difficult to measure in his case. I have no idea what that means? If you can explain, please do? I do know that his OPS was right at .900 in 2019 and was .800+ in his down, abbreviated 2018. Doesn’t seem like a wide variance, or the .259 average with the lively ball of 2019. I’m not saying I don’t want him, just wondering if the writer is correct that he has multiple 4 year offers? They must be below 25m. in A.A.V.?

GT_EE78

Banned
If it's 4yrs and 100M+ for a 34 yo , then i don't think he's worth that and will be happy rooting for Riley/Camargo.
i'd still like to have him again just a bit more team friendly with shorter duration. Hate to see him in NL east if not in atlanta.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If it's 4yrs and 100M+ for a 34 yo , then i don't think he's worth that and will be happy rooting for Riley/Camargo.
i'd still like to have him again just a bit more team friendly with shorter duration. Hate to see him in NL east if not in atlanta.
He's going to be overpaid. He is in a great spot. As a Nats fan... I'm with you guys. I'd hope Rizzo is smart here. Won't overpay (too much) and/or has a solid plan to figure out a Plan B, C, D. Currently has an infield with only 1 young everyday good/great player. Trea Turner at SS.

In Rizzo we Trust... until he messes up. ;)

GT_EE78

Banned
He's going to be overpaid. He is in a great spot. As a Nats fan... I'm with you guys. I'd hope Rizzo is smart here. Won't overpay (too much) and/or has a solid plan to figure out a Plan B, C, D. Currently has an infield with only 1 young everyday good/great player. Trea Turner at SS.

In Rizzo we Trust... until he messes up. ;)
Agree. Josh getting a contact like that is great for him,what a way to go out.maybe even decent performance if he gets to DH in future years.
Hope AA also has a great plan B

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Remember several years back, we heard about “insurance” covering injured players for the team’s sake? Particularly when they missed the whole season. Am I dreaming or has this quieted down, become extinct, what gives?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
If plan B is not Kris Bryant(which I’m guessing has more smoke than fire), let's hope it’s a power-hitting OF.

Edited: Forgot to say....Fred, you still get him at deferred money and get older as a team. Veteran club, mostly. Now that I put the whammy on it, he’ll sign with the Braves for certain;). The big jinx!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Thought this was kind of cute and funny....

....and if he signs with Atlanta, Washington fans will want Rizzo fired. If he signs with Washington for 4 or 5 years w/o deferred money, they will want Rizzo committed to Forest Haven.