2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Next up.....

Josh Donaldson

...where will he land?
Washington over Texas, Atl., LA D., Phillies.
Nats. have made IF help their priority at the Winter Meetings. It will be 4 years, at or over 100 m.

Edited to say: all things equal, it’s Atlanta. But 25m. for more than 3 years, “no.” Twins on the outer limits looking in.

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I would put a trade package together for Starlin Marte. It would include Touki Toussaint, Ender Inciarte and a choice of one from a list: Wright, Wilson, Anderson, Riley, Waters. The fourth player would be a prospect outside the top 30 in AA Mississippi or below.

Marte is an MLB All-Star, and a two-time Gold Glove Award winner. Kris Bryant’s defense is on a downturn, looking at the metrics. Looks like we have waited too long on Ozuna. Hope not, though.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Washington over Texas, Atl., LA D., Phillies.
Nats. have made IF help their priority at the Winter Meetings. It will be 4 years, at or over 100 m.

Edited to say: all things equal, it’s Atlanta. But 25m. for more than 3 years, “no.” Twins on the outer limits looking in.
Any thoughts with JD on the fact(?) he really likes Atlanta & expressed interest in staying with them?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Any thoughts with JD on the fact(?) he really likes Atlanta & expressed interest in staying with them?
If by fact you mean, “what has JD said?” The locals have quoted him as saying, “all things equal, I sign with the Braves.”

I don’t think right now, the Braves will go 4 years and get to that 100 m. mark. Their payroll if they signed everyone today(like the players who are arbitration eligible), is right at 142 m. Atlanta might be o.k. with 167 m. for 2020, 2021(although 2022, 2023, they indicated the youth would be ready). Maybe they go 3 years with an option for the 4th one? Or even dual, vesting option years.

IMO, he takes deferred money from D.C. and finishes his career with you guys, Fred. Only a hunch. Rizzo might give him a 5th year with a vesting or club option?

Edited to say: Sources had Angels willing to go 4 years on JD. Agent wouldn’t bite.Certainly he consulted with the client? Not sure of the amount or layout?

Last edited:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Tanner Roark got 24 m. for 2 years with Toronto.
Michael Wacha, Rick Porcello, sign with Mets.
Blake Treinen to LA D.
Over three days, Scott Boras negotiated $814 million worth of deals.

Last edited:

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I agree with Buzz, I don't think the Braves will go for 4 years on Donaldson and as much as I want to keep him, he's 34 and I don't think I would either.
It's hard for us to think in their world of multi-multi-million dollar contracts, but you would think (????) staying where he is comfortable with a chance to achieve career goals and WS rings would mean something ... maybe not $25MM ??
Fred, sorry to hear about Rendon, I know that's a real bummer for you guys !!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Rule 5 targets today:

Jose Rojas 2B/3B, Angels 27-years old L/R 6-0, 200 pounds
Selected out of Vanguard University, in the 36th round of the 2016 draft, Jose Rojas has hit well at every level.
He batted .308/.372/.471/.843 in Rookie League ball his first year, and hit a combined .286/.321/.438/.759 in 2017 when he split time between A+ and AA. He followed that with a .289/.355/.501/.857 between AA and AAA in 2018.
Playing LF in Winter Ball, which might be his best place to land for a position.

Others to consider...
Kai’ai Tom OF, Indians 25-years old 5-9, 190 pounds
Cristian Santana 1B/3B/SS R/R 6-2, 175 pounds
Connor Joe OF 27-years old R/R 6-0, 205 pounds

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Unless JD comes to his senses and realizes what he might lose from what he might gain ($$) ...
Guessing that he believes he can go to the WS with Washington. I may be way off “base” with my crystal “ball.” Hope he stays here, we get plenty of warm days needing rain.

Fred intimated about the 3 batter rule for pitchers. Did you guys realize Rob Manfred stated yesterday in an interview, that most of those rule changes plus the extended netting for the ballparks, all passed for 2020 season?

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I like the 3 batter rule, is that apply to all pitchers in all situations ?? ... that's a huge rule change !
It’s for all pitchers, but end of the inning will probably negate the rule. Not sure how they will handle injuries. If there is no penalty for a pitcher getting injured, I’m sure we’ll see an uptick in “injuries” on the mound that require a pitching change.