2020 Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Good late morning, guys!
Jake, I can’t quantify if Keuchel is in the plans or not. I thought definitely not yesterday, with him being similar to Hamels and a #4 hitter still needed(I don’t think Riley is ready for that pressure or A.A. believes that either). A sportswriter thought they still were in on Bumgarner, after Hamels? Could that be, with 141 m. already projected on the books with the current crop of players? Still need 3B or a cleanup hitter in RF, in the least. For another SP, they may stretch out Newk. as a #5, in case Wilson or Wright doesn’t win that job in the Spring.

My thoughts are like yours in that Atlanta is not through and 2020 is the year. Fine with that, as long as he keeps being responsible. Would hate to see 1/5 of the payroll go on a pitcher or anyone in their 30’s for a 4 or 5 year deal, and they come up lame. Braves can’t move them, and it affects not being able to add a piece in 2021 or beyond, when we are one player away in a position of need.

Reds involved with Bumgarner, too! They must feel confident with their chances in the next year or two or beyond.

Last edited:

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Good late morning, guys!
Jake, I can’t quantify if Keuchel is in the plans or not. I thought definitely not yesterday, with him being similar to Hamels and a #4 hitter still needed(I don’t think Riley is ready for that pressure or A.A. believes that either). A sportswriter thought they still were in on Bumgarner, after Hamels? Could that be, with 141 m. already projected on the books with the current crop of players? Still need 3B or a cleanup hitter in RF, in the least. For another SP, they may stretch out Newk. as a #5, in case Wilson or Wright doesn’t win that job in the Spring.

My thoughts are like yours in that Atlanta is not through and 2020 is the year. Fine with that, as long as he keeps being responsible. Would hate to see 1/5 of the payroll go on a pitcher or anyone in their 30’s for a 4 or 5 year deal, and they come up lame. Braves can’t move them, and it affects not being able to add a piece in 2021 or beyond, when we are one player away in a position of need.

Reds involved with Bumgarner, too! They must feel confident with their chances in the next year or two or beyond.
Yeah the Braves need to sign Josh Donaldson or trade for another quality 3rd baseman or a heavy hitting outfielder.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Cannot say whether or not the Braves are still involved....
TODAY, 1:58pm: The Cardinals could also have interest in Bumgarner, MLB.com’s Mark Feinsandwrites.
I think that we need a strikeout guy in the rotation now. I would like to see AA trade for Matthew Boyd.

I also want to get greedy and if we don't re-sign Donaldson, then go out and trade for one of Bryant, Lindor, or Betts. Anyone of those guys makes us a WS favorite imo.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The Braves were legit WS contenders in 2019. You guys agree, right? So as a long as sum of parts are as good or better... you have to be happy.
I agree. Atlanta was one home game away with Folty(who looked extremely sharp the last month and a half of the season, including Game 2 vs. Cards.), of playing Washington for a trip to the promised land against Houston.

The clean-up hitter is as much a key as any hole we have filled thus far(although Will Smith and a catcher were big needs). Can’t put Acuna, Kakes, Duvall, Albies, Catcher, Swanson, Inciarte, Camargo, Pache, Riley, or Freeman there. If Freddie hits 4th, who protects him both 3 and 5 hitters? Moose, J.D. and Rendon, were my hopefuls. Bryant or Betts in a trade, sure. Lindor at SS, yes he would suffice with 32 HR’s in 2019.

Not sure Alex will trade enough pieces to get Boyd and Bryant? He hasn’t traded a major prospect since he got the G.M. position for the Braves. If you ever want to deal Swanson, it is right now. Otherwise, give him a deal like Albies or close to it.

I wanted Grandal and Moose, but they did get large multi-year deals elsewhere. Would have traded for Realmuto in a second.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Atlanta was one home game away with Folty(who looked extremely sharp the last month and a half of the season, including Game 2 vs. Cards.), of playing Washington for a trip to the promised land against Houston.

The clean-up hitter is as much a key as any hole we have filled thus far(although Will Smith and a catcher were big needs). Can’t put Acuna, Kakes, Duvall, Albies, Catcher, Swanson, Inciarte, Camargo, Pache, Riley, or Freeman there. If Freddie hits 4th, who protects him both 3 and 5 hitters? Moose, J.D. and Rendon, were my hopefuls. Bryant or Betts in a trade, sure. Lindor at SS, yes he would suffice with 32 HR’s in 2019.

Not sure Alex will trade enough pieces to get Boyd and Bryant? He hasn’t traded a major prospect since he got the G.M. position for the Braves. If you ever want to deal Swanson, it is right now. Otherwise, give him a deal like Albies or close to it.

I wanted Grandal and Moose, but they did get large multi-year deals elsewhere. Would have traded for Realmuto in a second.
Well... the easy/short answer is you can't "protect" all the hitters... it's all trade-offs. But you can certainly put FF in 4 hole. Then generically (I don't know the Braves that well) place THE guy who swings at fewest balls out of zone in 3rd spot (more than likely he hits well enough to be a high(er) OPS guy). Then another high OPS guy 5th. Assuming Acuna leads off.... that is a strong lineup as already... and explosive 1-5.

I'm betting you guys get a top 3B one way or the other (FA or trade). The aggressive & solid moves the Braves have already made show they aren't messing around... no reason to think they'll just let 3B be a problem. You may not like the "price" you pay to get 3B shored up... no team will because of the market there. But come spring, everybody will be talking about the Braves & Nationals going at it for the division. (y)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nationals resigned Howie Kendrick today. One year deal with option for a 2nd year. I understand he had some 2-yr offers with other teams (AL-DH); but decided to remain a National. All he did was produce in 2019. The sound of that ball he stroked oppo off right field foul pole (on a good pitch down & away) in Gm7 of WS to take lead for good was glorious. Just awesome! These 4 guys are only key ones left to sign in order to "get band back together"...
Rendon, Zimmerman, Strasburg, Hudson

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Really like Howie. His bat is what makes him special. Glad to see the loyalty.

I hope you can sign those four. Anthony has to be your biggest challenge of the offseason? Braves are reportedly putting a huge offer together for Rendon. Boras and his group know how the game is played.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nationals owner did an interview this week (only portions released... not sure when full thing is going out) where he said they could not "afford" both Strasburg & Rendon. Lot of people scratching their heads on this for 2 big reasons:
1) Why would you say that at all... & right now?
2) Poor choice of words... can't afford?

Boras immediately responded (not happy) to the 2nd part there. He cited quite a few financial numbers regarding the boon the Nationals have & will receive simply by winning WS.

I have a feeling Rizzo will have to do some tap dancing at winter meetings to explain why Lerner (owner) didn't really mean what he said.

For record...I find Boras preaching about rich people paying more to rich people a little "rich" ...excuse the pun.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I like your unintended or intended pun, whichever enriches bringing the agent and owner down to the common cause. If at all possible?

Didn’t I read some financials where Liberty Media took in 451 m. or maybe it was 431 m.(I’m too lazy to go look it up), in revenue on Trust Park and surrounding streams?
They complain about payroll, costs and supporting their minor league system. However, we know they profited off this past season. They wouldn’t be spending, if they didn’t. Also, it goes to figure that MLB royalties, cable, television income is not included.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Nationals owner did an interview this week (only portions released... not sure when full thing is going out) where he said they could not "afford" both Strasburg & Rendon. Lot of people scratching their heads on this for 2 big reasons:
1) Why would you say that at all... & right now?
2) Poor choice of words... can't afford?

Boras immediately responded (not happy) to the 2nd part there. He cited quite a few financial numbers regarding the boon the Nationals have & will receive simply by winning WS.

I have a feeling Rizzo will have to do some tap dancing at winter meetings to explain why Lerner (owner) didn't really mean what he said.

For record...I find Boras preaching about rich people paying more to rich people a little "rich" ...excuse the pun.
If the Nationals can't sign Rendon AA needs to send an armored truck full of cash his way:D