2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament (Overall)

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
UNC wins game 2. Vandy smoking duke right now 9-2 and Ole Miss trying to force game three up 8-5 over Arkansas.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Looking like the SEC will get 4 teams to the CWS (Vandy, Arkansas, Miss. State and maybe Auburn) while the ACC gets two in (Louisville and FSU..maybe)...If UNC manages to come all the way back and knock off Auburn, then it would be 3 for each conference in the CWS.

Big XII and Pac 12 both will get one in (assuming UCLA completes their comeback against Big Ten Michigan).

I guess I am rooting for :
  1. any ACC team
  2. FSU (Mike Martin sentimentality)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well. color me shocked. I have been quoting the mantra that good pitching beats good hitting.....and last night the overall #1 seed was knocked out of the tournament by another of the Last Four In teams, Michigan. UCLA had the #1 ERA in the entire country at 2.59. Michigan was no slouch at 3.49, good for #14 in Division 1. So, good pitching...got beat.

That means UCLA now joins teams with the #2 ERA (Oregon State) #3 ERA (Texas A&M) and #5 ERA (Georgia) as having been beaten in post-season who will be watching the CWS on TV. I don't know exactly where GT ranked, but we were nowhere near the Top 50 in D1 Baseball (#50 had an ERA of 3.98 and our ERA was 4.65).

So, only series remaining which affects conference participation in the CWS is UNC-Auburn. Auburn win and it's SEC 4 teams vs ACC 2 teams. UNC wins and it's 3 for each conference. Pac 12 is done. Big Ten and Big XII got one spot each.

Deleted member 2897

Well. color me shocked. I have been quoting the mantra that good pitching beats good hitting.....and last night the overall #1 seed was knocked out of the tournament by another of the Last Four In teams, Michigan. UCLA had the #1 ERA in the entire country at 2.59. Michigan was no slouch at 3.49, good for #14 in Division 1. So, good pitching...got beat.

That means UCLA now joins teams with the #2 ERA (Oregon State) #3 ERA (Texas A&M) and #5 ERA (Georgia) as having been beaten in post-season who will be watching the CWS on TV. I don't know exactly where GT ranked, but we were nowhere near the Top 50 in D1 Baseball (#50 had an ERA of 3.98 and our ERA was 4.65).

So, only series remaining which affects conference participation in the CWS is UNC-Auburn. Auburn win and it's SEC 4 teams vs ACC 2 teams. UNC wins and it's 3 for each conference. Pac 12 is done. Big Ten and Big XII got one spot each.

And the only reason auburn is in it as we all know is because of our epic collapse in our first game against them, and North Carolina is epic collapse in their game against Auburn. We gave up 4 runs at the end, and North Carolina have ip 9. GT and UNC should be playing in Atlanta. Oh well.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
You know the worst part of that game? UNC makes it more respectable by beating up Fitts, the Auburn reliever we made look like Cy Young.

I still think of all the frustrating things of last weekend, the inability to score at all against him and not put that game out of reach, is the most frustrating and inexcusable.

Auburn is living right. They were handed the Super Regional and handed the CWS.
I watched most of the game yesterday, including all of the first inning. That was the worst single inning of baseball I have ever seen. I can't believe the UNC starting pitcher was so bad, and the rest of the team looked like they weren't even awake.

Deleted member 2897

I watched most of the game yesterday, including all of the first inning. That was the worst single inning of baseball I have ever seen. I can't believe the UNC starting pitcher was so bad, and the rest of the team looked like they weren't even awake.

Even worse, think about what that game represented - North Carolina wins that 1 game and they go to the CWS. And it looked like the 3rd practice in a 3-a-day summer workout series where nobody wanted to be there.

Now granted their RPI reflects the last couple series of baseball, but it still chaps me that instead of drawing a high 30s RPI team like we were supposed to that we got one in the teens who has the #1 SOS in all of college baseball and whose RPI is now up to #10.