2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament (Overall)

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't the Hope Scholarship provide benefits to baseball student-athletes that other states don't have? I've heard neighboring states complain about that with respect to the baseball student-athletes born in Georgia.
GA lost that advantage when neighboring states adopted a lottery.

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
Vandy has a need based endowment program for all students. Of course this carries over quite well for the teams that don't give full rides. UVA also has this advantage I believe.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Louisville with a good comeback win last night. I would like them to at least put a scare into Vandy tonight. Michigan and Texas Tech are interesting. Vandy will be tough to beat. This has been a really good CWS overall.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow. I kind of expected Texas Tech to come much stronger today. It's 12-3 Michigan T7. I guess if Michigan wins, then for me it's Michigan -> Louisville -> Vandy. I shouldn't hate on Vandy, they're the least SEC of all SEC schools. It's not really them, it's just that the rest of the conference will assume it's a NC for them as well (just like all of them count the Bama football NC's as theirs too). I've lived in Connecticut for almost 20 years but yes, I still hear the SEC crowing. Truthfully Louisville is more SEC based on their culture, academics, etc., and Vandy is more ACC (I'm turning a blind eye to UNCheat's recent academic 'excursions').

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow. I kind of expected Texas Tech to come much stronger today. It's 12-3 Michigan T7. I guess if Michigan wins, then for me it's Michigan -> Louisville -> Vandy. I shouldn't hate on Vandy, they're the least SEC of all SEC schools. It's not really them, it's just that the rest of the conference will assume it's a NC for them as well (just like all of them count the Bama football NC's as theirs too). I've lived in Connecticut for almost 20 years but yes, I still hear the SEC crowing. Truthfully Louisville is more SEC based on their culture, academics, etc., and Vandy is more ACC (I'm turning a blind eye to UNCheat's recent academic 'excursions').
LOL. I respect the complexity of your like/hate algorithm there. We all have our similar version that may produce different results.

Michigan will get to the NC series as a #3 seed in regional...where they lost 1 game. Then went 2-1 in super regional. Now will win 3 straight to reach CWS finals [if things hold here for last 2 innings]

Bottom line... Michigan proving it can be done even after a regular season that barely gets you there. Hope abounds!

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
While I've paid attention to this CWS, I haven't watched Michigan much or have any in-depth knowledge about them. What's their general team makeup? I have to assume they're making this run with a lot of upperclassmen that are handling the pressure well. I've never heard of there being any top MLB prospects this year on their team. Just wondering what their formula for peaking right now is and if it could ever translate to us in a year that we don't seem to be a top contender at the start.

Also interesting that if they were to win, 3 of the last 5 champs (Michigan, Coastal Carolina, UVA) are teams that you would not consider longstanding traditional powers. Throw in Oregon St possibly as well since they've really only been a top program for about 15 years. At minimum, they're another champ that's not from the typical hotbed of college baseball (South, Southwest, and California).

And yes, I still keep thinking about how we could have had a real chance if Curry and Hurter had been healthy all year. Got to let it go at some point.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Not saying it wouldn’t be great, but why does CDH “deserve” to get back to Omaha when he can’t even manage(as often as not) to get out of ATL?
Because he is a great man that represents the Institute with class and dignity on and off the field. Because he instills that persona onto his players, as evident by their interviews, media appearances, and overall team attitude. Because he’s one of the most successful coaches in college baseball history. Because he’s had some terrible luck in the past decade with injuries, losing games late, etc. No, he’s not a perfect coach, neither is Mike Martin, or Augie Garrido, or Tim Corbin, or Bobby Cox, or Joe Torre, but he is a great man with a long list of successes who I believe should get to go out on the national stage again.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Because he is a great man that represents the Institute with class and dignity on and off the field. Because he instills that persona onto his players, as evident by their interviews, media appearances, and overall team attitude. Because he’s one of the most successful coaches in college baseball history. Because he’s had some terrible luck in the past decade with injuries, losing games late, etc. No, he’s not a perfect coach, neither is Mike Martin, or Augie Garrido, or Tim Corbin, or Bobby Cox, or Joe Torre, but he is a great man with a long list of successes who I believe should get to go out on the national stage again.
Silas, you are the one with a problem.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL. I respect the complexity of your like/hate algorithm there. We all have our similar version that may produce different results.

Michigan will get to the NC series as a #3 seed in regional...where they lost 1 game. Then went 2-1 in super regional. Now will win 3 straight to reach CWS finals [if things hold here for last 2 innings]

Bottom line... Michigan proving it can be done even after a regular season that barely gets you there. Hope abounds!
While I've paid attention to this CWS, I haven't watched Michigan much or have any in-depth knowledge about them. What's their general team makeup? I have to assume they're making this run with a lot of upperclassmen that are handling the pressure well. I've never heard of there being any top MLB prospects this year on their team. Just wondering what their formula for peaking right now is and if it could ever translate to us in a year that we don't seem to be a top contender at the start.

Also interesting that if they were to win, 3 of the last 5 champs (Michigan, Coastal Carolina, UVA) are teams that you would not consider longstanding traditional powers. Throw in Oregon St possibly as well since they've really only been a top program for about 15 years. At minimum, they're another champ that's not from the typical hotbed of college baseball (South, Southwest, and California).

And yes, I still keep thinking about how we could have had a real chance if Curry and Hurter had been healthy all year. Got to let it go at some point.

I know Michigan has two 2nd round pick pitchers. I was listening to Sirius last week and they were talking about Michigan's run (this was before the TT game) and they talked about how cold weather teams always start slow so they're hard to judge early season. The other thing that struck me is (I think this is right, I may have heard wrong) that either 3 or 4 out the last 5 CWS champions were 'last four in' teams. If so that is incredible and shows the crazy nature of baseball.