2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament (Overall)

LibertyTurns

Banned
I thought our umps were ignorant. In DBU-UF game the 3rd baseman made a diving play to catch a ground ball when UF had guys on 1st & 2nd and tagged the bag with his hand for the force out. The ump called the runner safe because he didn’t use his foot. Unbelievable.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I thought our umps were ignorant. In DBU-UF game the 3rd baseman made a diving play to catch a ground ball when UF had guys on 1st & 2nd and tagged the bag with his hand for the force out. The ump called the runner safe because he didn’t use his foot. Unbelievable.
I think I saw in Louisville game... ump threw out Louisville pitcher with 2 outs & 2 strikes on batter. One strike from ending game & he tosses the guy. Not normal.

slugboy

Staff member

That is bizarre.

I can see wanting to discourage using your hand because a baseball cleat landing on your hand would be pretty ugly, but I’ve never heard of anything like “you can only use your foot but not your knee or hand” in the rulebook.

There’s three other refs though. You’d think one of them would say “um, that’s not the rule, Bob”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That is bizarre.

I can see wanting to discourage using your hand because a baseball cleat landing on your hand would be pretty ugly, but I’ve never heard of anything like “you can only use your foot but not your knee or hand” in the rulebook.

There’s three other refs though. You’d think one of them would say “um, that’s not the rule, Bob”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I couldn't figure out why NONE of the umps noticed that the ball ricocheted off of English in the ACC Tourney game...it was SO obvious that it hit his bat, then him, then the ground. Should have been a foul ball, but they ALL missed it.

Deleted member 2897

Some stats on the 16 #1 seeds in each Regionals.
1) UCLA - lost to the 4 seed, went into loser's bracket
2) Oregon State - lost to the 4 seed, then eliminated
3) Oklahoma State - won a game by 2 runs against the 4 seed, won a game by 1 run, then lost
4) Texas Tech - beat Dallas Baptist by 1 run and 3 runs to advance
5) Arkansas - advanced
6) Ole Miss - advanced
7) LSU - advanced
8) Georgia - lost to the 3 seed twice by a total of 22-4, eliminated.
9) Vanderbilt - advanced
10) West Virginia - lost to both the 2 seed and 3 seed, eliminated.
11) East Carolina - lost to the 4 seed, went into the loser's bracket
12) Louisville - lost to the 3 seed, went into the losers bracket
13) Mississippi State - advanced
14) Stanford - lost to the 3 seed, went into the loser's bracket
15) North Carolina - advanced
16) Georgia Tech - lost to the 2 seed twice, eliminated.

So for those keeping score at home - 50% of the 1 seeds went into the loser's bracket.

Baseball has 3 game series for a reason. Anybody can win 1 game. We lost to Richmond, Northwestern, Pitt, Boston College, Notre Dame, and Virginia Tech this year - all terrible teams. But we went 12-2 on the season in 3-game series.

As long as the NCAA does stupid crap like giving the lower seeded team home field advantage and not having 3-game series, you'll continue to see stats like this year, with 50% of the #1 seeds losing. It sucks - the better teams should win, but its baseball. This is not a Georgia Tech phenomenon.

Deleted member 2897

Some other stats for the current RPI of the #2 seed in each region, ranked in reverse order:
16) Indiana, #39
15) FAU, #38
14) Arizona State, #36
13) California, #33
12) Illinois, #32
11) Baylor, #31
10) Connecticut, #26
9) Dallas Baptist, #25
8) UC Santa Barbara, #24
7) Indiana State, #22
6) NC State, #21
5) Creighton, #20
4) Miami, #17
3) Texas A&M, #16
2) Tennessee, #14
1) Auburn, #13

We were matched with the toughest 2 seed by RPI. That matchup should have gone to the last place 1 seed, the #16 region overall. We should have been matched with someone like FAU . Georgia should have gotten NC State. Just a terrible shake that geographically the only options that could work to not put 2 teams from the same conference in the same region come down to #38 FAU, #14 Tennessee or #13 Auburn - 1 good draw and the 2 toughest 2 seeds, LOL.

Just one of those weird years where getting the #3 seed nationally literally did nothing for us. We only had 1 single option for a fair 2 seed, FAU. Just dumb.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is not a Georgia Tech phenomenon.

Not in any given year, no. But we've established a pattern here. If games were settled by coin flip rather than playing baseball, we'd have been expected to be in 2+ super regionals and one CWS since 2006. Instead we haven't made one super regional, and we haven't even played in games where we could've won the regional in the majority of those appearances.

Deleted member 2897

Not in any given year, no. But we've established a pattern here. If games were settled by coin flip rather than playing baseball, we'd have been expected to be in 2+ super regionals and one CWS since 2006. Instead we haven't made one super regional, and we haven't even played in games where we could've won the regional in the majority of those appearances.

Pattern? We haven't even been to the tournament in several years LOL.

When half of the teams go into the losers bracket, its a pattern for a lot of teams.

Deleted member 2897

Is this supposed to make me feel better?

I'm just passing along the definition of the word pattern, which is a repeated occurrence. If we haven't even been to the tournament in several years, that's the pattern. We broke out of that pattern this year. Sorry that post didn't make you feel better, but I didn't know that's what we were trying to do here. If that's what we're trying to do, maybe try beer and hookers.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

And sometimes you flip a coin ten times and you get 8 tails with 2 heads. What's expected doesn't always play out. To throw out a reference no one will understand, have you ever played XCOM? Sometimes you miss the 95% shot and then your whole game is effed. Yea it's not a perfect analogy.

But I don't think it's fair to just claim a pattern without looking at the underlying reason why we haven't advanced in each tournament appearance. You're looking at a lot of different teams that could be very different from each other. Is there a common thread there over the course of time? Or are we hitting different kinds of speed bumps each time? Are there any fluky things going on? Injuries for example. Just saying 'We don't advance. That's the pattern,' is lazy imo.

Now I'll grant that personally I think the effect the head coach/manager has on the on field results in baseball is overstated. The coach can't swing the bat, pitch, or field for the players. That definitely colors the way I view things. A very good offense goes cold for a game? A solid pitcher has a bad outing at a bad time? I'm not so quick to jump on the coaching staff for stuff like that. It goes the other way too for hot streaks. Others might disagree which is totally fine.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I would get your argument if we were just talking about one or two regionals. But we’ve had plenty of failures with plenty of different yet talented teams. And we’re not even talking about our recent trend of not making the tournament at all.

I started following GT baseball in the mid 2000s when I was a student. After I graduated, I too thought that we were just unlucky in tournament baseball and was a big supporter of CDH. I mean, it’s harder to put together a great season than a great couple of games right? I thought the people calling for his head were misguided. But over time luck should wash out. Ours hasn’t.

I’ve sat through some painful games. As I’ve mentioned, the worst was Austin Peay in 2011. It sucks to have to think “here we go again,” when one guy reaches on an error in the 9th even with a 3 run lead and your ace on the mound. It sucks even worse to be right.

If you want more fan engagement, you’re going to have to convince fans you can win a championship - hell, even just a regional - instead of throwing away a fantastic regular season. We don’t have a coach who’s shown he can do that in the past 13 years. And that’s a long time.

Deleted member 2897

I would get your argument if we were just talking about one or two regionals. But we’ve had plenty of failures with plenty of different yet talented teams. And we’re not even talking about our recent trend of not making the tournament at all.

I started following GT baseball in the mid 2000s when I was a student. After I graduated, I too thought that we were just unlucky in tournament baseball and was a big supporter of CDH. I mean, it’s harder to put together a great season than a great couple of games right? I thought the people calling for his head were misguided. But over time luck should wash out. Ours hasn’t.

I’ve sat through some painful games. As I’ve mentioned, the worst was Austin Peay in 2011. It sucks to have to think “here we go again,” when one guy reaches on an error in the 9th even with a 3 run lead and your ace on the mound. It sucks even worse to be right.

If you want more fan engagement, you’re going to have to convince fans you can win a championship - hell, even just a regional - instead of throwing away a fantastic regular season. We don’t have a coach who’s shown he can do that in the past 13 years. And that’s a long time.

I get all that. And I was like almost sick with that comeback.

But look at how we lost - why is that CDHs fault? And if it happens to us a couple times over a decade, why is that an indictment of our program? HALF of the 1 seeds went into the losers brackets. We lost to a #13 RPI team. Georgia was ranked higher than us all year and they lost to a #39 RPI team. Some 1s lost to the 4 seed!

There is no easy answer. But if you’re going to fire a hall of fame coach who got the #3 seed nationally because of how we lost 1 game, who do you replace him with? How do you know that replacement won’t lose 1 game the same way? Difficult questions.

I’d rather complain about why the 3 seed got the single toughest 2 seed instead of how we should have gotten the 14th toughest and why we were the away team so often for no reason. It makes me feel better complaining about that crap, LOl.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

There is no pattern. There are different players every year. The only constant is .......... :cry::censored::cautious:

I'll say it again. If we lose Ramsey to FSU, we will have a hard time making the NCAAs next year. Hall just rides pitchers too long. But he is great for recruiting and hitting and developing fielding. So 3 of 4 isn't bad, unless you want to be elite.

Deleted member 2897

There is no pattern. There are different players every year. The only constant is .......... :cry::censored::cautious:

I'll say it again. If we lose Ramsey to FSU, we will have a hard time making the NCAAs next year. Hall just rides pitchers too long. But he is great for recruiting and hitting and developing fielding. So 3 of 4 isn't bad, unless you want to be elite.

I mean yea. But he also removed our starter against Coastal after 1 single out LOL.