2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament (Overall)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This is the first I'd heard of it, but apparently Cincinnati intentionally walked Rutschman from Oregon State (the now number one MLB draft pick) with the bases loaded and no outs during the regional. That's an incredible call (and obviously worked out well enough).

Deleted member 2897

This is the first I'd heard of it, but apparently Cincinnati intentionally walked Rutschman from Oregon State (the now number one MLB draft pick) with the bases loaded and no outs during the regional. That's an incredible call (and obviously worked out well enough).

That adheres to the Kyle McCann scouting report.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I felt like we were begging teams to intentionally walk English to get to Radcliff. But I don’t think he came to the plate in the right situation.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I get all that. And I was like almost sick with that comeback.

But look at how we lost - why is that CDHs fault? And if it happens to us a couple times over a decade, why is that an indictment of our program? HALF of the 1 seeds went into the losers brackets. We lost to a #13 RPI team. Georgia was ranked higher than us all year and they lost to a #39 RPI team. Some 1s lost to the 4 seed!

There is no easy answer. But if you’re going to fire a hall of fame coach who got the #3 seed nationally because of how we lost 1 game, who do you replace him with? How do you know that replacement won’t lose 1 game the same way? Difficult questions.

I’d rather complain about why the 3 seed got the single toughest 2 seed instead of how we should have gotten the 14th toughest and why we were the away team so often for no reason. It makes me feel better complaining about that crap, LOl.

“Away team so often for no reason.”

So I guess the other host teams that are advancing were never made to be the away team. No reason - yeah the entire ncaa said let’s see how we can screw GT by making up a provision / rule that only applies to them.

An all time low in excuse making.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

“Away team so often for no reason.”

So I guess the other host teams that are advancing were never made to be the away team. No reason - yeah the entire ncaa said let’s see how we can screw GT by making up a provision / rule that only applies to them.

An all time low in excuse making.

Yup, that’s what I said. Eye roll LOL.

Actually, I specifically said the opposite. I said “we lost fair and square”. And THEN I said but there’s just no point in giving the home advantage to lower seeds. Why on earth would the 1 seed be the away team against the 2 seed and then again against the 3 seed? It’s just pointless and silly.

And then I also showed the data team by team how 50% of the 1 seeds ended up in the losers bracket.

We didn’t lose because of it. We lost because of errors and hit batters and other mistakes. BUT, if we had 1 more set of at-bats down 6-5, that would still leave some measurable chance to win.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
With a tip of the hat to d1baseball.com here are more interesting facts about the tourney overall:

How The Conferences Fared
SEC: 25-8
ACC: 17-9
Big 12: 10-6
American: 8-5
Pac 12: 9-7
MoValley: 6-6
C-USA: 3-4
Big Ten: 6-9

NCAA Super Regional Matchups
BATON ROUGE: 13 LSU vs. Florida State
CHAPEL HILL: 14 North Carolina vs. Auburn
LOS ANGELES: 1 UCLA vs. Michigan
LOUISVILLE: 7 Louisville vs. 10 East Carolina
LUBBOCK: 8 Texas Tech vs. 9 Oklahoma State
NASHVILLE: 2 Vanderbilt vs. Duke
OXFORD: 5 Arkansas vs. 12 Ole Miss
STARKVILLE: 6 Mississippi State vs. 11 Stanford

Left alive by Conference:

SEC 6
ACC 4
Big XII 2
Pac 12 2
Big X 1
AAC 1

ACC-SEC head to head record...ACC 5 wins, SEC 4 wins (GT did NOT help the ACC casue in this area with its 0-2 makr against Auburn....ah, what could have been!)

To me, the conference that surprised and impressed was the Missouri Valley, where Illinois State pressed Louisville into a ninth inning rally in Game 7 of that Regional before finally succumbing, and Dallas Baptist and Indiana State also won games and both got to Regional Finals games in their Regionals. All 3 teams finished in the Top 25 of RPI.

Three of the "Last Four In" actually WON their regionals (Duke, Florida State and Michigan). In doing so they helped take out the #2 seed (Oregon State) the #4 seed (Georgia) and the #10 seed (West Virginia). (So, GT was NOT the biggest upset or disappointment in the tournament except to some of its own fans.)

Baseball be a funny game.....there is NO WAY the Last Four In would score 3 Regional Championships in basketball, for example.

Last edited:

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
With a tip of the hat to d1baseball.com here are more interesting facts about the tourney overall:

Baseball be a funny game.....there is NO WAY the Last Four In would score 3 Regional Championships in basketball, for example.

The “last four in” in March Madness are usually 12 seeds. 12 seeds reach the Sweet 16 about 15% of the time.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So who are you all pulling for the rest of the way (if anyone)?
My order:
FSU - would like to see Martin go out on top

UNCheat/Louisville - just ACC pride plus UNC can knock out the team that knocked us out (bonus because $EC)
Dook - would be lower if they weren't playing Vandy
UCLA - no real reason, just because we played them mostly

slugboy

Staff member
My order:

UNCheat/Louisville - just ACC pride plus UNC can knock out the team that knocked us out (bonus because $EC)

ACC + East Carolina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
ACC + East Carolina

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No argument from me. I listen to SiriusXM College all the time, and you guessed it they had someone on this week talking about how great the $EC is. It's a freaking cult, so I'm really OK with anyone not $EC. Martin would be the ultimate walk-off though.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My order:

FSU-Would be a great story. I'm a sucker for an old guy going out on top.
UNC
Then...anybody but the SEC.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My order:

I've used up all my pulling on GT this year. Just glad it isn't ugag.

I have Vandy beating UCLA in CWS finals. 5 of my eight picks for CWS are still in it:UCLA, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Vandy & Miss St.

Guys playing college ball are all pretty good people so I don't care.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've used up all my pulling on GT this year. Just glad it isn't ugag.

I have Vandy beating UCLA in CWS finals. 5 of my eight picks for CWS are still in it:UCLA, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Vandy & Miss St.

Guys playing college ball are all pretty good people so I don't care.
Totally understand. I'm being very loose with the phrase 'pulling for' - I won't be watching any games or anything.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't mind MS ST having success. Yeah, the are SEC, but have always liked them because I consider them more of a blue collar type of program and like Tech, they have the same perception of fighting uphill again Ole Miss and other SEC schools.

Deleted member 2897

Duke up 7-2 on vandy in the 5th. Mich up 3-0 on ucla in the 8th. Man I hate that we are out of this thing

And high high chance if we win that first game from Auburn that we would have moved on.

Duke scored 18 runs on Vanderbilt yesterday, winning 18-5.

UCLA lost to Michigan.

East Carolina lost to Louisville 14-1.

Oklahoma State lost to Texas Tech.

Such a shame. I love our odds in 3-game series. North Carolina, Duke, Louisville. Full of teams we beat in series already this year. Sigh.

Last edited by a moderator: