2019 MLB Playoffs

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You know Buzz, it drives home the point of staying relevant in the long 162 game season ... and getting hot in the short post season, Wild Card-NLDS-NLCS-WS.
I'll naturally pull for the NL team in the World Series ...
Trying to understand exactly what you mean by staying relevant? You mean having meaningful games thru #162 (so no downtime where you have to flip switch come postseason)? Or simply making playoffs? Just curious what you meant.

The key is really how do you peak/get hot at right time...Gm1 of postseason. I am beginning to believe there really is no roadmap or recipe to ensure that happens. A lot has to be luck. The Nationals would have only been tie (best case) in final inning of WC card game were it not for a misplay by the Brewers RF. Without that break... perhaps nothing that followed ever happens.

There is already a ton of "worry" here that Nationals clinched too early & will come out slow when WS begins. I'll take what we've got today. And count on the veterans to have the team ready in WS. Also... the biggest factor is the other outstanding, professional team in the other dugout.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I’m sure Houston or NY will provide as a formidable foe for Washington.
However, there is something to be said being destiny’s darlings. Naturally there had to be breaks along the way. It’s baseball, which might be the most difficult game to figure out in all of sports. Hall of Fame, if you fail 7 out of every 10 times, while playing 6 month seasons with days off. 14 years like McCann played is equivalent to 7 full years of a pressurized working life.

There is no true formula, or it would be in the book of saber metrics. Teams try to have 3 or even 4 hot starters, a couple of stud relievers and table setters around the power-middle of a lineup. Good defense helps, although not guaranteed to be a difference maker in the outcome of it all.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Trying to understand exactly what you mean by staying relevant? You mean having meaningful games thru #162 (so no downtime where you have to flip switch come postseason)? Or simply making playoffs? Just curious what you meant.

The key is really how do you peak/get hot at right time...Gm1 of postseason. I am beginning to believe there really is no roadmap or recipe to ensure that happens. A lot has to be luck. The Nationals would have only been tie (best case) in final inning of WC card game were it not for a misplay by the Brewers RF. Without that break... perhaps nothing that followed ever happens.

There is already a ton of "worry" here that Nationals clinched too early & will come out slow when WS begins. I'll take what we've got today. And count on the veterans to have the team ready in WS. Also... the biggest factor is the other outstanding, professional team in the other dugout.

Basically by relevant, I meant staying in contention for the post season, then get hot at the end ... but you also bring up a good point about clinching early as the Dodgers (and Braves somewhat) did and coming out flat at the end.
Agree as far as a "little luck" as well, or you could call it timely baseball ... the 9th inning for the Nats vs. Brewers and the 1st inning for the Cards vs. the Braves. I'm willing to bet the Cards didn't score 10 runs in one inning the whole year.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Minute Maid Park has a retractable roof which only takes 12-20 minutes to close, therefore no chance for a Monday game or DH then. Therefore, let’s hope for a couple of long extra inning games. Record setting in length, draining both staffs.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Minute Maid Park has a retractable roof which only takes 12-20 minutes to close, therefore no chance for a Monday game or DH then. Therefore, let’s hope for a couple of long extra inning games. Record setting in length, draining both staffs.
I think the Yankees if they win the ALCS will win the WS but their pitching staff will be worn out

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Cool graphic. Check out those dudes (Brown & White) who threw complete games after finishing previous game.
20191019_192233.jpg