2019 MLB Playoffs

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
It says something about me (Nats fan) that my "first" thought was about the bullpen managing to get 2 saves in row in a HUGE October series... instead of thinking about what 2 starters (Sanchez & Scherzer) just pulled off... Amazing weekend of performances.

The closest thing was the 4-0 World Series win by the Orioles over the Dodgers in 1966

Game 1: Orioles 5-2 over the Dodgers

Game 2: Orioles 6-0 over the Dodgers

Game 3: Orioles 1-0 over the Dodgers

Game 4: Orioles 1-0 over the Dodgers

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
YJF 2018;
Great recollection of the ‘66 Orioles. That’s the year I fell for them as my AL team.
Appreciate you posting the Yankees score too! I should have come here first for the news. I heard at Clemson that GT lost(I didn’t expect good news from Durham). Got home and looked up the Nats. game on the iPad, then the Yanks.

Fred, who are we rooting for in the ALCS? Better matchup for us? Won’t ask you about Durham.

Super psyched about how Doo is doing. He looks healthy and back to his old self.
On the other thread with the Braves, I mentioned how the Fish started going far as a WC team. This is more proof that NL teams that play their way in, can use it to their advantage. They stay hot not resting the regulars and seem to keep feet on the gas pedal. Hope I’m not jinxing Washington, because the road is still tough getting the next 6 victories. The last 6 have been special: Milwaukee, a come from behind beauty; L.A. with 2 on the road, one at home; St. Louis road victories, cooling them off.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
YJF 2018;
Great recollection of the ‘66 Orioles. That’s the year I fell for them as my AL team.
Appreciate you posting the Yankees score too! I should have come here first for the news. I heard at Clemson that GT lost(I didn’t expect good news from Durham). Got home and looked up the Nats. game on the iPad, then the Yanks.

Fred, who are we rooting for in the ALCS? Better matchup for us? Won’t ask you about Durham.

Super psyched about how Doo is doing. He looks healthy and back to his old self.
On the other thread with the Braves, I mentioned how the Fish started going far as a WC team. This is more proof that NL teams that play their way in, can use it to their advantage. They stay hot not resting the regulars and seem to keep feet on the gas pedal. Hope I’m not jinxing Washington, because the road is still tough getting the next 6 victories. The last 6 have been special: Milwaukee, a come from behind beauty; L.A. with 2 on the road, one at home; St. Louis road victories, cooling them off.
I'd prefer Yankees. But really don't care too much. Both teams are outstanding. Seems Yankees "numbers" are not quite as good as Astros. On paper... Astros look impossible to beat to 4 wins in a series. Key words ..."on paper" ;)

Last night, Davey did something subtle... but a sign he is clearly thinking outside the box. He brought in Corbin to face a single (lefty) batter in T9. Worked to perfection. 2 pitch outing for a routine GB out in a 2-run game. Then Hudson closed it out....with Corbin still in line to start Gm4. Saw a stat that in 6 postseason wins for Nationals... so far. All but 2 outs recorded are by 4 starters (Strasburg, Scherzer, Corbin, Sanchez... some of those from bullpen) & Doolittle and Hudson (who wasn't even on roster for one win).

It's always fun/interesting to try to quantify how many "wins" a manager should get credit for. I think you could make a case... Martinez is largely responsible for at least 1-2 of the 6 wins. In other words... the Nats are no longer playing were it not for some of the strings he's pulled.