2019 Draft - The Future is NOW

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Happy for the kids, sad for us. Look forward to seeing them on the big stage.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Yea I would concur that Zay is gone with that pick.

EDIT: Just saw his tweet. So yea. He gone.

Deleted member 2897

Congrats to them all.....glad they have the opportunity and wish I could shake their hands personally to thank them for being Yellow Jackets.

Worried about our pitching next year, but Hurter came out of nowhere, so maybe freshman will step up

They always do!

What a crazy sport, where the better you are, the more you have to start all over. We’re losing 2 of our 3 top pitchers and a top reliever. And that’s just a start.

GtBaseball3

Jolly Good Fellow
Hopefully we do not lose Maxwell! That kid is an absolute stud on the mound! I could definitely see him in the weekend rotation next year.

Also, is Webb coming back? Or is he a senior?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hopefully we do not lose Maxwell! That kid is an absolute stud on the mound! I could definitely see him in the weekend rotation next year.

Also, is Webb coming back? Or is he a senior?

Here's the summary of who may or may not be coming back. Webb is a RJr but my guess is he doesn't get drafted.

And follow this link for who's been drafted and the Pool Amount. As well as whether they actually sign (the top 4 will.)
https://beesball.com/draft2019.html

Attachments

• 2019 Draft Update.pdf
    44.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think Shirah will step up in a big way next year and the weekend rotation will be Willingham, Roedig, and Bartnicki with the potential for Chapman, Shirah, and Brace to be starters as well. I also really like several of the freshmen pitchers, but I would rather them prove themselves in the pen.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Shirah will step up in a big way next year and the weekend rotation will be Willingham, Roedig, and Bartnicki with the potential for Chapman, Shirah, and Brace to be starters as well. I also really like several of the freshmen pitchers, but I would rather them prove themselves in the pen.
I'm still wishing every year for us to find that stud closer to come in that we never seem to find. Someone like the Auburn guy that shut us down on Sunday night for the final 3 innings. We had Gorst for that one year and that's been about it for a long time. A little with English this year but you had some injuries and the difficulty of him playing a position as well.

Maybe that would be a spot for Maxwell with his high velocity. Although one scouting report I read about him mentioned some control difficulties which might not bode well for that role.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'm still wishing every year for us to find that stud closer to come in that we never seem to find. Someone like the Auburn guy that shut us down on Sunday night for the final 3 innings. We had Gorst for that one year and that's been about it for a long time. A little with English this year but you had some injuries and the difficulty of him playing a position as well.

Maybe that would be a spot for Maxwell with his high velocity. Although one scouting report I read about him mentioned some control difficulties which might not bode well for that role.
I have a feeling that Archer will come back strong and be the closer. If not him, then maybe Hughes if he doesn't get drafted tomorrow.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Unfortunately everyone gets mesmerized by the high velocity but if you don't have control the high velo doesn't matter. Hope Maxwell can tame the speed and manage his accuracy.

As for CT, if we remember he was academically ineligible his freshman year and then came back when he could officially and pitched that Georgia game at Suntrust and control was not his friend. Looks like he used that experience to fine tune his pitches and it paid off for us.

Definitely looking for Hughes to come back strong, he really got it together this year and overcame his struggles from the past as well as Archer back in the lineup. Shame we lost Hurter, he also had that broken wrist his Freshman year and really overcame that injury to be a big impact player.

Pitching will be interesting next year. Looks like they are letting pitchers work with what they have and not try and tweak every pitcher into a standard form and therefore had more success this year.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately everyone gets mesmerized by the high velocity but if you don't have control the high velo doesn't matter. Hope Maxwell can tame the speed and manage his accuracy.
And at a certain level, movement on the fastball matters as much a velo as well. I recall listening to an interview with chipper jones where he said something to the effect that "he could turn around a 747 if it was straight". Maybe two out of three gets you to "good" three out of three gets you to great.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Feels like we need to be preparing for a weekend rotation of Roedig, Bartnicki, and a freshman with a bullpen of Archer (coming off injury), Shirah, Barlow, and other freshman.

I guess Hughes is still a wild card. Having not been drafted yet, maybe staying and a move to the starting rotation would be mutually beneficial for the team and him.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
And at a certain level, movement on the fastball matters as much a velo as well. I recall listening to an interview with chipper jones where he said something to the effect that "he could turn around a 747 if it was straight". Maybe two out of three gets you to "good" three out of three gets you to great.
This. The biggest difference between a Rookie/A level flame-out and someone who sticks in AA with a shot is command of stuff that moves. The really good ones can bend everything they throw to where they want it, so they never have to deal with the middle of the plate.

And not to overcook it, but movement is velocity, as everyone on this board knows. Gun speed is just a matter of timing at the MLB level unless you sit 100+/-.

Deleted member 2897

Holy crap, we are losing guys everywhere. Baseball is such a strange sport that way.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't keep track of how these things work. Is it possible Willingham will return with thought he could really improve his stock with another D1 season to get better? I get he loses leverage after he is out of eligibility... but how much leverage does a 17th round guy have in first place.