2019 Draft - The Future is NOW

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
He was dropping his elbow and swinging for the fences. Every at bat was a pop up or a strikeout. Probably lifting his head up as well. Hall should've benched him on Sunday.

Completely agree with probably should have benched him on Sunday. Someone else said either here or on another thread, we get stuck on a certain lineup and I think that's what happened. He wasn't producing but provided good defense and as a whole we were killing it with runs but eventually one of those run out and you have to have others in the wings ready to go. That's how powerhouses do it. They bench one and the one that comes in to take their place it's like nobody missed a beat. Now don't get me wrong as for pitchers in the past Hall has had too quick of a pull and then sometimes not quick enough. It's all well and good for us to sit on our front porch and pontificate just wish we had had more consistency these past 3 years so that when this season came along we could have barreled through the competition.

Back to Barron, sometimes you have to sit from the dugout and watch, not a bad thing. Interesting I had heard an interview with Guldberg that the amount of info off the tracking devices we have now has really helped him as well as Colin. I am sure it's doing the same for Barron but not sure why it's not connecting in the same way.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Somebody quietly mentioned somewhere that they had heard there were some issues with Chase Murray....might that have influenced Hall's decision to stay with Barron? (NB-this is the internet, so everything I just said is pure speculation and hearsay.)

I thought Barron was *much* better for most of the year, patient at the plate, making better contact and fewer strikeouts. But the last 3 or 4 weeks of the season he seemed to revert to last year's form, with many more strike outs. Nerves? I don't know...

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Somebody quietly mentioned somewhere that they had heard there were some issues with Chase Murray....might that have influenced Hall's decision to stay with Barron? (NB-this is the internet, so everything I just said is pure speculation and hearsay.)

I thought Barron was *much* better for most of the year, patient at the plate, making better contact and fewer strikeouts. But the last 3 or 4 weeks of the season he seemed to revert to last year's form, with many more strike outs. Nerves? I don't know...
It could have been fatigue too. I wish that we would have rotated the outfield with a healthy Murray and allowed everyone to get at least 2 starts a week.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow

I think it was a quote from an insider on another board that was responding to why Murray wasn't playing at all and said something to the effect of "There are reasons, but I'll keep my thoughts to myself." The idea of things going on behind the scenes might be bolstered by Murray being so quick to send a goodbye tweet even though his draft round was out of the top 10.

Regardless, the past is the past, and we really need to be able to count on Baron in the middle of that lineup next year. Hopefully, he spends the offseason working on all the coaching and analytics he can to prevent a repeat of the last few weeks of the season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Going through baseball withdrawal. So here's something on the draft.

My only real surprise was that Hughes didn't get drafted especially by some team looking to take a chance with a low pick. Those low picks are essentially free. He was drafted 68th in 2nd round by O's out of HS. Of course he has had lots of injury issues which was probably what did it. This year he pitched pretty well (4.60 ERA, 1.70 WHIP in 43.0 IP). http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=197378 Hope he shows them wrong in his 4th and final year next year.

This year we had nine drafted - 7 on team and 2 commits with 4 in the top 10 rounds. https://beesball.com/draft2019.html This group was arguably the deepest since 2013 when we had 10 drafted with 7 to meaningful draft slots (First 10 rounds with bonus $). https://beesball.com/draft2013.html

Overall, Perfect Game has us with the 12th best overall commit class. Since I don't expect us to lose anyone, we can only go up as teams in front of us lose players to the draft. https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx?g=2019 Glad we have 8 pitchers, we're going to need someone to step in. But don't expect too much, even X struggled a lot his Fr year. It's a massive adjustment going from HS and Showcase ball to our schedule.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Going through baseball withdrawal. So here's something on the draft.

My only real surprise was that Hughes didn't get drafted especially by some team looking to take a chance with a low pick. Those low picks are essentially free. He was drafted 68th in 2nd round by O's out of HS. Of course he has had lots of injury issues which was probably what did it. This year he pitched pretty well (4.60 ERA, 1.70 WHIP in 43.0 IP). http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=197378 Hope he shows them wrong in his 4th and final year next year.

This year we had nine drafted - 7 on team and 2 commits with 4 in the top 10 rounds. https://beesball.com/draft2019.html This group was arguably the deepest since 2013 when we had 10 drafted with 7 to meaningful draft slots (First 10 rounds with bonus $). https://beesball.com/draft2013.html

Overall, Perfect Game has us with the 12th best overall commit class. Since I don't expect us to lose anyone, we can only go up as teams in front of us lose players to the draft. https://www.perfectgame.org/Rankings/Recruiting/Rankings.aspx?g=2019 Glad we have 8 pitchers, we're going to need someone to step in. But don't expect too much, even X struggled a lot his Fr year. It's a massive adjustment going from HS and Showcase ball to our schedule.

Agree we need to temper expectations for next year. However, there's always a chance. Just look to Duke for inspiration. They made the Supers last year, lost a ton of people, especially with pitching. Then, their 2 best returning pitchers wound up missing almost the whole year. Yet here they are, back in the Supers. There's no doubt there will be talent on the team. Just have to continue to work on coaching and player development. But if you want to get really depressed, just start counting who all will likely be gone after next year. This incoming freshman class is going to really need to be strong.

Deleted member 2897

Agree we need to temper expectations for next year. However, there's always a chance. Just look to Duke for inspiration. They made the Supers last year, lost a ton of people, especially with pitching. Then, their 2 best returning pitchers wound up missing almost the whole year. Yet here they are, back in the Supers. There's no doubt there will be talent on the team. Just have to continue to work on coaching and player development. But if you want to get really depressed, just start counting who all will likely be gone after next year. This incoming freshman class is going to really need to be strong.

Yup, but I mean, thats where we want to be with all sports. We want to lose 2 of our 5 starters in basketball every year to the draft. And so on. Those are first world problems that tell you that you have enough talent to win a lot of games.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

THWG

Helluva Engineer
All freshmen pitchers struggle, especially with control. I know Maxwell is going to struggle (probably a lot next year), but it's what he can be his sophomore and junior seasons is what has me excited. I expect Roedig to be the Ace with Bartnicki taking a huge step forward and Hughes providing veteran leadership in the rotation. Chapman and Archer will probably lead the pen with Shirah, Barlow, and Brace being key cogs. The freshmen need to learn next year and hopefully one of them will step up and take over the weekday role to get starting experience.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
All freshmen pitchers struggle, especially with control. I know Maxwell is going to struggle (probably a lot next year), but it's what he can be his sophomore and junior seasons is what has me excited. I expect Roedig to be the Ace with Bartnicki taking a huge step forward and Hughes providing veteran leadership in the rotation. Chapman and Archer will probably lead the pen with Shirah, Barlow, and Brace being key cogs. The freshmen need to learn next year and hopefully one of them will step up and take over the weekday role to get starting experience.
It also wouldn't surprise me to see Turley become a pitcher if Holland and one of the other freshmen can take over the catching duties. Turley pitched well as a freshman in limited innings, so it would be nice to see him on the mound again.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I think we have a good nucleus of competition-proven and experienced players returning at 6 of the 7 infield/outfield positions next year.

The catcher and first base positions will be filled with capable players, and a few of the young returning pitchers have already gained useful experience this past season and should be much improved for next year’s campaign.

Overall, I love the defense of the returning outfielders and infielders. Nearly all of them (4 of the 6 returnees) batted over .300 this past year, too.

So I expect next year’s team to be a very competitive one.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
What does anyone know about Tres Gonzales? I know he is an out fielder and about 6-0, 160, but he must be really good.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

So we have another "Speedy" Gonzales on the team? (I loved Matt Gonzalez too.)

He should do much better over the next three years at GT than banging around the minors with a negligible bonus at 1121st pick. The living conditions and educational development in college are much better than the minors. If he develops, he'll get a much bigger payout in three years. Interesting relief pitcher possibilities.

I don't have all of the HS details on performance from Perfect Game, but it is interesting that Stephen Reid wasn't drafted. Slightly faster and better OF velocity. With these HS students, a lot is behind the scenes, which is why I didn't even try and predict who might get drafted. D1 Baseball said that a lot more college players were drafted this year compared to HS. Whatever, attached are our commits and the relative position of the two drafted to the Perfect Game rating. Not a good correlation.

Attachments

• 2019 GT Commits Post Draft.pdf
    31.7 KB · Views: 38

THWG

Helluva Engineer
So we have another "Speedy" Gonzales on the team? (I loved Matt Gonzalez too.)

He should do much better over the next three years at GT than banging around the minors with a negligible bonus at 1121st pick. The living conditions and educational development in college are much better than the minors. If he develops, he'll get a much bigger payout in three years. Interesting relief pitcher possibilities.

I don't have all of the HS details on performance from Perfect Game, but it is interesting that Stephen Reid wasn't drafted. Slightly faster and better OF velocity. With these HS students, a lot is behind the scenes, which is why I didn't even try and predict who might get drafted. D1 Baseball said that a lot more college players were drafted this year compared to HS. Whatever, attached are our commits and the relative position of the two drafted to the Perfect Game rating. Not a good correlation.
The 10 next to those 4 guys is very legit. I'm very excited to see this class on campus. I think that we'll see a lot of them pitching almost exclusively next year. Jenkins has the potential to be another English and I could see him as DH and the weekday starter. Holland will most likely be the starting catcher and I could see Reid or Gonzalez as the DH also. Some of the guys like Jackson and Thiel are going to be groomed to be starters after all of the infield gets drafted in the next draft. There is a ton of potential in this class.