2019 Draft - The Future is NOW

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
The big question is about Zay. He has to be really hurt for them not to use him over the weekend. There were spots I thought for sure that he would have been a perfect fit. Tech has been tightlipped about his injury, just shoulder tenderness. Does he go late rounds to go ahead and get out and get started? He could put away $100K depending on the round and as a senior may not be as high on the $$. Perhaps a team may want him to convert back to a position player?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Depending on the draft spot CT stays, he has a child now and it would have to make a lot of $$$ sense to go knock around FL or AZ or 2-3 years. But I would think that if the dollars are there he definitely goes. Murray takes the best offer he can get, I don't see him staying unless he absolutely has to. The challenge for Murray is that the outfield stays relatively unchanged for 2020. Hall is a sophomore, Nick doesn't go in the draft and Baron is a sophomore. He has to make his stock rise as a DH. Lot of off-season work for him.
I just don't think CT will get drafted high enough. He has been fantastic for us and a fantastic college pitcher, but he can't consistently throw 91 which hurts his value a lot.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I just don't think CT will get drafted high enough. He has been fantastic for us and a fantastic college pitcher, but he can't consistently throw 91 which hurts his value a lot.

He definitely doesn't have the prototypical high draft pick profile but I think an analytically minded team pops him in the top 10 rounds. His results are just too good and it's not unheard of for pitchers to gain a couple consistent MPH with a good professional throwing program these days. The Yankees have gotten real good at that for example.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
He definitely doesn't have the prototypical high draft pick profile but I think an analytically minded team pops him in the top 10 rounds. His results are just too good and it's not unheard of for pitchers to gain a couple consistent MPH with a good professional throwing program these days. The Yankees have gotten real good at that for example.
I just keep going to back to Poche from LSU. Dude had one of the best college careers that I can remember yet went in the 15th round and got a small signing bonus offer. He only threw around 88 too. I definitely think Thomas deserves to be drafted and probably within the first five rounds, but I just don't know if it'll happen.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Have to see where Thomas gets drafted, but it seems unlikely he would improve his draft standing with another year. Hard to see him adding 4-5 mph on his fastball as a senior, otherwise, his analytics and numbers would be at best the same.

Curry on the other hand, would seem to be the classic, rare senior that could improve his standing a lot. There has to be a lot of uncertainty to his health right now and that could cause a big fall. A healthy, productive senior year could improve his draft order many rounds, even with the worsened leverage a senior has.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any of our current commits have a shot at getting drafted high enough to forgo coming to school?

Great question. While I don't have the total rankings from Perfect Game, Jake Holland, Andrew Jenkins, Zach Maxwell and Stephen Reid are all at high risk. If they get drafted tonight, they are gone. That's because the teams have talked to these guys and shouldn't waste a high draft pick on someone who won't sign. Things change after the talking, but that's the general case.

Attached is my pdf of our commits sorted by highest PG ranking. After all the draft, I'll update. Or go to a fabulous site, https://beesball.com/ which usually but hasn't yet put up a link to the current draft status relative to GT.

CT was #1 analytically going into the season using MLB metrics and had a good season. He is gone.

Attachments

• GT 2019 Commits Before Draft.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 37

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Movement on his fastback and control are more important than picking up a couple of mph IMO. I see guys that throw mid 90's all the time in AAA but still get rocked because they get behind in the count and then have to throw strikes. Even AAA guys can hit 95 pitchers. Now give them some off speed stuff with movement or good slider those guys are the really good ones.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Baseball America / Beesball guess at who for GT are draft prospects. I'm surprised so few. Must be my gold colored glasses.

https://beesball.com/wordpress/?p=16974

• McCann - #135. No surprise
  • Zachary Maxwell - #138. 98 mph fastball.
  • Tres Gonzalez - #245. He moved way up from Perfect Game ratings. But these are all opinions till they are drafted; then they are one team's opinion which counts.
  • Chase - #308 but a lot of talk about injury
  • Tristin - #330. Don't know if he goes as a pitcher or outfielder.
  • CT - #360. Great control. Duh.
  • X - no rating. No real comment. Too bad for him this damn injury came toward the end of his third year.
  • Andrew Jenkins - no comment.

Last edited:

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Movement on his fastback and control are more important than picking up a couple of mph IMO. I see guys that throw mid 90's all the time in AAA but still get rocked because they get behind in the count and then have to throw strikes. Even AAA guys can hit 95 pitchers. Now give them some off speed stuff with movement or good slider those guys are the really good ones.

I mean all of that matters. But if a team knows they can squeeze some more velocity out his fastball while preserving his movement and command they're going to value him higher and might jump on him earlier than others.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Ok so I'm gonna say CT, English, and McCann are gone for sure. Hughes and Murray are maybes to go if drafted.

Everyone else comes back.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
At 93, is he looking at big signing bonus? I don’t follow mlb draft stuff to know. I assume that is high enough he won’t be back.