2019 Draft - The Future is NOW

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I gotta think any junior on our team that gets drafted is gone. So the question comes down to which of our juniors get drafted. I honestly think only one junior on our team could come back and improve his stock/signing bonus and that is Curry. He’s the only one I could see moving up into the first couple of rounds if he was lights out next year as that’s the only way a Senior could get more $ than after heir Junior year. English and Hughes are too old at this point to really improve their stock being RS Juniors. CT isn’t gonna start throwing 96 over the summer/fall.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone remember which team drafted Veritek as a junior and jerked him around until he enrolled fall quarter?

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
In times like this, I try to look forward to next year to try to have hope. Offense returns a lot of bodies, but that's a gigantic hole in the middle without McCann and English. Easy to see a big step back.

IF Curry were to return healthy, you can see a pretty solid weekend starting rotation with him, Amos, and Roedig. Archer, Chapman, Bartnicki should be solid in the pen or weekday starters. Hopefully some development from freshman and incoming recruits to fill out the back end. If somehow Hughes wound up back, even better.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
In times like this, I try to look forward to next year to try to have hope. Offense returns a lot of bodies, but that's a gigantic hole in the middle without McCann and English. Easy to see a big step back.

IF Curry were to return healthy, you can see a pretty solid weekend starting rotation with him, Amos, and Roedig. Archer, Chapman, Bartnicki should be solid in the pen or weekday starters. Hopefully some development from freshman and incoming recruits to fill out the back end. If somehow Hughes wound up back, even better.
I still think Thomas will come back, especially after what happened the other night. I think he comes back for revenge.

crut

Helluva Engineer
So only seniors were 4 arms out the bullpen: Lee, Carpenter, Gibson, and Winbourne.

Selfishly hoping some surprise returns to get that degree. But if not wish them the best of luck!

I'm not familiar with following the college to MLB transition. Is the rate of juniors leaving to go pro fairly similar to football, or different?

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I still think Thomas will come back, especially after what happened the other night. I think he comes back for revenge.
I'm sure in the emotion of right now, he'd probably say he'd be back for unfinished business. However, when big dollar signs get thrown his way, it will likely be too hard to turn down.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
With the way the MLB draft works, a junior that has any chance to make it in baseball will probably leave. There’s hardly any junior that would increase his value by returning for a 4th year unless they were already a top 5 rounder. Returning for a 4th year kills all leverage a prospect has, and most seniors sign from somewhere between $5,000 and $20,000. A junior with any value will probably get offered around $100,000. I expect to lose English, McCann, Thomas, Curry, Willingham, and Hughes.

crut

Helluva Engineer
With the way the MLB draft works, a junior that has any chance to make it in baseball will probably leave. There’s hardly any junior that would increase his value by returning for a 4th year unless they were already a top 5 rounder. Returning for a 4th year kills all leverage a prospect has, and most seniors sign from somewhere between $5,000 and $20,000. A junior with any value will probably get offered around $100,000. I expect to lose English, McCann, Thomas, Curry, Willingham, and Hughes.
I'm not following you here.

You stated you'd only increase your value coming back if you were already a 5th rounder or better. That seems counter-intuitive. Wouldn't you be able to increase your stock much more if you were much further back in the draft?
Staying for a 4th year means you will sign for less than if you leave as a junior? Assuming player A is still player A, with maybe marginal improvement from another year of playing baseball, why is this the case?

Squints

Helluva Engineer

You stated you'd only increase your value coming back if you were already a 5th rounder or better. That seems counter-intuitive. Wouldn't you be able to increase your stock much more if you were much further back in the draft?
Staying for a 4th year means you will sign for less than if you leave as a junior? Assuming player A is still player A, with maybe marginal improvement from another year of playing baseball, why is this the case?

Because seniors have no leverage in negotiations. They've used their eligibility and can't come back to school. So a MLB team can say here's a $10,000 bonus offer. You can take it or you can go play in an independent league somewhere and get nothing. Your call.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Because player A loses any leverage they have. Seniors only have 2 options when they get drafted, sign, or don’t sign. Unless that player is a legitimate top 5 rounder, they don’t really hold any value. Most will be 22-23 and probably nearing their talent ceiling. If you look at bonuses from previous drafts, rounds 7-15 are filled with college seniors signing for around $10,000.

It doesn’t make sense logically and comparatively to other drafts, because the NFL only has 7 rounds, and NBA has 2. So talent comes at a premium in those drafts, and in baseball there’s 40 rounds and talent is everywhere.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Don't know his draft prospects. He's rated 10 by PG, but the Jenkins kid from Pace can be an immediate impact player where we have holes (C for McCann likely going or 3B).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Pitchers usually go as soon as possible to avoid chance of arm problems. Friend of mine whose son pitched at UNC could have signed out of HS but choose college. Hurt his arm at UNC and still signed at much lower bonus but never got to single A. They still are kicking themselves for not signing out of HS. He now sells real estate so who needs college for that.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Don't know his draft prospects. He's rated 10 by PG, but the Jenkins kid from Pace can be an immediate impact player where we have holes (C for McCann likely going or 3B).
We have another really good catcher from Florida coming in, 2 players from New Jersey who can have an immediate impact, a pitcher from Alabama (Auburn ironically), and a kid from Georgia that throws 95. The only one that I have even seen mentioned in a mock draft is the kid that throws 95 and that was in the 5-10 round range.

Edit: I expect Turley to take over the catching duties next year, but I would like to see us use a catcher rotation and have one of the talented freshmen play once or twice a week. Turley is probably a better defensive catcher than Bart or McCann, but nowhere near the offensive threat.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Any of our current commits have a shot at getting drafted high enough to forgo coming to school?

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Depending on the draft spot CT stays, he has a child now and it would have to make a lot of $$$ sense to go knock around FL or AZ or 2-3 years. But I would think that if the dollars are there he definitely goes. Murray takes the best offer he can get, I don't see him staying unless he absolutely has to. The challenge for Murray is that the outfield stays relatively unchanged for 2020. Hall is a sophomore, Nick doesn't go in the draft and Baron is a sophomore. He has to make his stock rise as a DH. Lot of off-season work for him.