2019 Draft - The Future is NOW

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't keep track of how these things work. Is it possible Willingham will return with thought he could really improve his stock with another D1 season to get better? I get he loses leverage after he is out of eligibility... but how much leverage does a 17th round guy have in first place.

No. Willingham had probably pretty much gotten all he could out of NCAA ball.

Great how he helped us this one year.

Next year, pitchers will be largely unproven. That's why I titled the post that the future is Now.

We haven't lost any commits since Maxwell is 30th round, so maybe by the end of the season we'll be ok. A pitching rebuilding year coming up.

IIWII.

Gonzalez probably will come to GT; he has a lot of upside from going to college over 37th round.

Only Nick to go on my attached pre-draft list (taking a victory lap). I love Nick and hope he gets a good deal.

Attachments

• GT 2019 Commits Before Draft.pdf
    31.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And at a certain level, movement on the fastball matters as much a velo as well. I recall listening to an interview with chipper jones where he said something to the effect that "he could turn around a 747 if it was straight". Maybe two out of three gets you to "good" three out of three gets you to great.
Jason Neighborgall says hello. That guy could really sling it, unfortunately never really found the control he needed to be successful.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
So now time to play the fun speculation game of what the lineup looks like next year:
C - Holland (Fr)
1B - Guldberg
2B - A. Wilhite
SS - Waddell
3B - Webb
OF - Hall, N Wilhite, Radcliff
DH - Compton or Jenkins (both Fr)

Weekend Rotation:
Roedig, Hughes, Bartnicki

Bullpen:
Archer, Chapman, Barlow, Shirah, Maxwell, Brace, other freshmen as able

Weekday starter difficult to predict but I would expect whichever freshman steps forward

THWG

Helluva Engineer
So now time to play the fun speculation game of what the lineup looks like next year:
C - Holland (Fr)
1B - Guldberg
2B - A. Wilhite
SS - Waddell
3B - Webb

Weekend Rotation:

Bullpen:

Weekday starter difficult to predict but I would expect whichever freshman steps forward
I would think that Turley is probably going to be the starting catcher with Holland playing once or twice a week. Also, don't discount Miller, Reid, or Gonzalez at the DH spot. We have a lot of options next year, a d I'm glad that not a lot of freshmen will be thrust into immediate playing time. We can sort of bring them along and get their feet wet.

Does anybody know if Tres Gonzalez is related to Matt Gonzalez?

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I would think that Turley is probably going to be the starting catcher with Holland playing once or twice a week. Also, don't discount Miller, Reid, or Gonzalez at the DH spot. We have a lot of options next year, a d I'm glad that not a lot of freshmen will be thrust into immediate playing time. We can sort of bring them along and get their feet wet.

Does anybody know if Tres Gonzalez is related to Matt Gonzalez?
That's true. There should be about 7 starters set in the lineup, but fierce competition for the other 2 spots. I'd be fine if some of the underclassmen worked their way into occasional starts at one of those 7 position as well. I still think we were hurt at the end by having the same lineup every game for the last 2 months and some of those guys were getting worn down physically and mentally. Definitely a huge competition on the mound and playing time is available for anyone that can step up.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
C - Holland (Fr)
1B - Guldberg
2B - A. Wilhite
SS - Waddell
3B - Webb

Weekend Rotation:

Bullpen:

Here is my idea:
Coach Hall should look at JUCO again, that's where Willingham came from and Webb from UCF.
There are tons of talent at JUCO especially Chipola College who has two previous commits from GT, Andrew Moore, and Logan Jarosz
http://www.chipola.edu/

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Here is my idea:
Coach Hall should look at JUCO again, that's where Willingham came from and Webb from UCF.
There are tons of talent at JUCO especially Chipola College who has two previous commits from GT, Andrew Moore, and Logan Jarosz
It's just hard for the credits to transfer to Tech.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
I am wondering where the power comes from, outside of Baron. Maybe Turley or Taylor, both of whom seem like strong guys.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I am wondering where the power comes from, outside of Baron. Maybe Turley or Taylor, both of whom seem like strong guys.
Whoever the DH is will probably be a power hitter. Whether that is Miller or Reid or Jenkins or Compton. If it is Gonzalez, then I would expect us to play like Louisville next year. An aggressive approach on the base paths with speed all up and down the lineup. Less strikeouts and a lot of hit and runs.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Whoever the DH is will probably be a power hitter. Whether that is Miller or Reid or Jenkins or Compton. If it is Gonzalez, then I would expect us to play like Louisville next year. An aggressive approach on the base paths with speed all up and down the lineup. Less strikeouts and a lot of hit and runs.
I would love to see more hit and run and straight steals moving forward. Like many years, this years team was built on power, although we did seem to have a great, patient approach at the dish all year. I think Ramsey had a lot to do with that. But speed doesn’t slump, and I feel like down the stretch our pitching actually gave us a chance to win, but the bats went cold in most innings the last few games. Coastal was a good offensive game but it took us a while to wake up understandably.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well find out for sure by 12 July who will take the $ and who will stay as that's the signing deadline. My guess (feel free to correct), especially any word from Chase? The $ numbers are the pool amount, for those with no pool amount the signing bonus can vary but usually isn't much (between $10K and $50K but can go higer is very rare cases).
  • Gone- Tristin English RHP 3rd 93rd Arizona Diamondbacks Unsigned $627,900 $
  • Gone _ Kyle McCann C 4th 134th Oakland Athletics Unsigned $418,200 $
  • Gone - Connor Thomas LHP 5th 155th St. Louis Cardinals Unsigned $340,000 $
  • Gone - Xzavion Curry RHP 7th 220th Cleveland Indians Unsigned $197,300 $
  • Highly likely Gone - Chase Murray OF 13th 394th Pittsburgh Pirates Unsigned
  • Gone - Amos Willingham RHP 17th 513th Washington Nationals Unsigned
  • Come to GT - Zachary Maxwell RHP 30th 915th New York Yankees Unsigned
  • Stay - Luke Waddell 3B 32nd 962nd Arizona Diamondbacks Unsigned
  • Come to GT - Tres Gonzalez OF 37th 1121st Los Angeles Dodgers Unsigned

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan

My understanding is that Holland is a beast and will be the starting catcher with Turley behind him. Not sure that Turley has pro plans so it may not be that big of a deal other than pride.

Chase is definitely gone it doesn't matter the dollars.

Also Jackson Webb was at Georgia Tech as a Freshman prior to moving to UCF/JUCO, not sure how his transition happened without losing a year. I understand his last year prior to 2019 was at UCF, how do you make that transition? But either way, he was at Georgia Tech and a known commodity. I think he was told he had some work to do and he would be best served at at JUCO with a promise to come back to Tech should he make the improvements. He is definitely one that benefited from Ramsey's teaching/style.

As for the power comment above, don't know enough about this year's class. Unfortunately while Barron was able to get things somewhat under control, he still was an inconsistent hitter and inconsistent long ball hitter. He really needs to put in the off-season work on his hand/eye control and pitch management. He can be huge for us but he has to manage the strike outs especially at crucial times. Can't wait till September!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Is 17th round high enough that AW
My understanding is that Holland is a beast and will be the starting catcher with Turley behind him. Not sure that Turley has pro plans so it may not be that big of a deal other than pride.

Chase is definitely gone it doesn't matter the dollars.

Also Jackson Webb was at Georgia Tech as a Freshman prior to moving to UCF/JUCO, not sure how his transition happened without losing a year. I understand his last year prior to 2019 was at UCF, how do you make that transition? But either way, he was at Georgia Tech and a known commodity. I think he was told he had some work to do and he would be best served at at JUCO with a promise to come back to Tech should he make the improvements. He is definitely one that benefited from Ramsey's teaching/style.

As for the power comment above, don't know enough about this year's class. Unfortunately while Barron was able to get things somewhat under control, he still was an inconsistent hitter and inconsistent long ball hitter. He really needs to put in the off-season work on his hand/eye control and pitch management. He can be huge for us but he has to manage the strike outs especially at crucial times. Can't wait till September!

For those in the know and having an eye for such things, did Barron's swing change towards the end of the season. It seemed like to me watching the last few games that his swing was very long, but I listened to many of the games where he was having success, so don't have much to compare it to.

In the opinion of the experts on this board, which Barron do we get going forward? The one who was nearly unstoppable in April and early May, or the tournament version. The answer is "probably somewhere in between". Interesting that that twofor emphasized the two characteristics that he did. Pitch management is easy from me to see and understand the issue of. Hand/eye control is easy to understand but how do you spot that is a problem?

Buzz1126

Georgia Tech Fan
Is 17th round high enough that AW

For those in the know and having an eye for such things, did Barron's swing change towards the end of the season. It seemed like to me watching the last few games that his swing was very long, but I listened to many of the games where he was having success, so don't have much to compare it to.

In the opinion of the experts on this board, which Barron do we get going forward? The one who was nearly unstoppable in April and early May, or the tournament version. The answer is "probably somewhere in between". Interesting that that twofor emphasized the two characteristics that he did. Pitch management is easy from me to see and understand the issue of. Hand/eye control is easy to understand but how do you spot that is a problem?

He was dropping his elbow and swinging for the fences. Every at bat was a pop up or a strikeout. Probably lifting his head up as well. Hall should've benched him on Sunday.