2019 ACC Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
But we need Serratos' bat.

Sure at DH. At least if his .267 bat this year is worth it. He had a .250 in Cape Cod last summer so something is going on. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=209947

Till he gets his .267 average up, don't let him do damage at 3rd mishandling plays. We should be playing the players who are playing the best; not those who are drafted the highest. On the field performance and not potential are what counts. At least for winning games.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We need Guldberg's bat more. And if/or when Chase returns, we could use his bat as well. Nice problem to have, not knowing who to play on a daily basis when they are all capable.
I agree with that, but that is partially what I'm saying. Guldberg has a spot locked down. End of discussion. On the other hand, Serratos is third on the team in RBIs right now. I'll take the good with bad with Serratos. Higher risk, but higher reward in starting Serratos over Webb.

Edit: Serratos is now hitting .278 after today's game as well.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with that, but that is partially what I'm saying. Guldberg has a spot locked down. End of discussion. On the other hand, Serratos is third on the team in RBIs right now. I'll take the good with bad with Serratos. Higher risk, but higher reward in starting Serratos over Webb.

Edit: Serratos is now hitting .278 after today's game as well.

With Serratos at 3rd today, he typically doesn't make 2 or so of the 5 plays Webb made. We probably lose the game.

Sorry for the attitude, but I think Serratos at 3rd is a square peg in a round hole. Put him where he is better suited if he is the better player.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My own guess at the rest of the ACC schedule for GT

UNC at home GT goes 1-2
BC on the road GT goes 2-1 because it is a road series and we never sweep anyone anymore (or so it seems)
VT on the road GT goes 1-2 'cuz it's a road series and we're GT
Clemson at home GT goes 1-2
Duke on the road GT goes 1-2 (see VPI&SU)
Pitt at home GT sweeps going 3-0

We finish up 9-9 and finish overall at 16-14.

We shouldn't. We should be much better if we just had 2 more decent arms in the bullpen (decent=get us 3 outs and reliably do so).

If we solved our bullpen problems, I think we could win at least 3 more games above (VT, Duke, Clemson), We then finish 19-11 in league play, and likely would be in the NCAA for sure. But alas, I fear that problem won't be solved since we haven't seen it solved all year thus far.

Deleted member 2897

My own guess at the rest of the ACC schedule for GT

UNC at home GT goes 1-2
BC on the road GT goes 2-1 because it is a road series and we never sweep anyone anymore (or so it seems)
VT on the road GT goes 1-2 'cuz it's a road series and we're GT
Clemson at home GT goes 1-2
Duke on the road GT goes 1-2 (see VPI&SU)
Pitt at home GT sweeps going 3-0

We finish up 9-9 and finish overall at 16-14.

We shouldn't. We should be much better if we just had 2 more decent arms in the bullpen (decent=get us 3 outs and reliably do so).

If we solved our bullpen problems, I think we could win at least 3 more games above (VT, Duke, Clemson), We then finish 19-11 in league play, and likely would be in the NCAA for sure. But alas, I fear that problem won't be solved since we haven't seen it solved all year thus far.

I think we can take UNC and Duke. That takes us to 18-12. I also could see us going 2-1 against Pitt (sigh) which makes it 17-13. But I'm really hoping we surprise VT or Clemson along the way. So I'll stick with 18-12 dammit.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Also, Aaron Fitt was asked about the upcoming UNC series and had this to say

Early thoughts on the UNC-GT series this weekend?

Aaron Fitt
1:29
I think that's a compelling matchup. Georgia Tech is clearly much better than it was a year ago, a bona fide regional team that has the talent to make noise in the postseason, and they're on a pretty good roll right now. UNC has found its stride since that Clemson weekend, though Mike Fox said this weekend that he still thinks his lineup is a work in progress. Tech is the more explosive offensive team, but I think they match up pretty evenly in the rotation. I'd give UNC the edge in the bullpen -- loved what I saw out of Joey Lancellotti on Saturday, that was a big development for the Heels. Lancellotti, Austin Love and Caden O'Brien should be one of the best bullpen trios in the ACC in the second half.

Deleted member 2897

Current Top 25 (we aren't in it yet), Auburn and UNC are both there.....

D1BASEBALL TOP 25
Top 25
Full Rankings ChartUpdated April 1, 2019
  1. Georgia

LOL, georgia still ranked #4 with a #24 RPI now. They won the series 2-1 over a poor Kentucky team (1-8 in the SEC)...but had to win the rubber match in extra innings or else they would have lost the series last weekend. Sad.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't like the looks of this... but here are the next 13 games... the kicker...only 4 played at home:

2 x Auburn (Away/Home)
2 x UGA (Away/"Neutral")
3 x UNC (Home)
3 x BC (Away)
3 x VT (Away)

I'd like to see 6-3 over those ACC games; but that'll be tough.
Split(?) those 4 non-conf games... so, 8-5 over the stretch? Not easy.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, another Tuesday night. @FSU loses to Jacksonville, @BC loses to Mass, @Clemson loses to UGAg, @ND loses to Central Michigan and NC State loses @USCe.

6 wins, 5 losses. No wonder the ACC is #4 in conference RPI. 4 home losses. NCState is now 27-3 so they definitely get a pass as they have more than pulled their weight.

We had the biggest ACC win by far (duh) last night. four more games tonight with Duke @#11 East Carolina being the best. Probably watch a bit of that one.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, another Tuesday night. @FSU loses to Jacksonville, @BC loses to Mass, @Clemson loses to UGAg, @ND loses to Central Michigan and NC State loses @USCe.

6 wins, 5 losses. No wonder the ACC is #4 in conference RPI. 4 home losses. NCState is now 27-3 so they definitely get a pass as they have more than pulled their weight.

We had the biggest ACC win by far (duh) last night. four more games tonight with Duke @#11 East Carolina being the best. Probably watch a bit of that one.
The Clemson and N C State losses hurt the conference both in perception and because they were losses at home or at neutral sites. Some of the other losses weren't great but not as bad as they sound based on name recognition....Jacksonville is a solid ball club (they lost to Florida in extra innings, and they lead their conference) and even Central Michigan is as good as your average Big Ten team with a higher RPI than Michigan State. Plus, Notre Dame just doesn't appear to have a 4th starter, end of story. They have fared very poorly in midweek games against anyone with a pulse. That happens sometimes and that team can still be solid on their weekend rotation. BC....yeah...well.....

But, of course, Arkansas lost to UA-Little Rock and Ole Miss lost to North Alabama last night too, so even the mighty SEC does have some embarrassing losses.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Really dudes? @BC & @Miami lose to Hartford! and Florida Atlantic last night. Pitt loses @WVu.

Not surprisingly Duke loses @ECU. ECU is good.

ACC 0-4 last night.

Not only are there going to be no ACC coat tails this year for the NCAAs, but we'll probably lose RPI points when we play Pitt (222 rpi) even if we beat them. Duke (85 rpi) won't help much either.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not only are there going to be no ACC coat tails this year for the NCAAs, but we'll probably lose RPI points when we play Pitt (222 rpi) even if we beat them. Duke (85 rpi) won't help much either.

Yeah, but if we *lose* a game (especially to Pitt at home) it will hurt our RPI terribly.