2019 ACC Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Overall standings with Divisions combined looks good too!

EBZEos5.jpg
Just curious. When did you grab this? I assume this morning? Typical ACC website sucking & inaccurate. ND is 5-3 & FSU is 4-4.

Deleted member 2897

Just curious. When did you grab this? I assume this morning? Typical ACC website sucking & inaccurate. ND is 5-3 & FSU is 4-4.

Yes this morning. It says the first ND/FSU game was postponed. If they had a double header yesterday, the ACC must not have updated the later game (guessing).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think we need to use our relievers more and for shorter periods of time. Others have suggested that. By more I mean when we are well ahead or well behind, get the guys in for either an inning or even just a couple of batters when the matchup "should" be favorable. Hall started off the season doing that and then stopped. In the last week, especially against UVa, we saw more arms and a quick hook. Pulling a pitcher after a walk and then a 1-0 count is a step in the right direction.

I liked warming up English during our AB for the ninth inning if he is going to close. Let's him get warmed up and focused the right way. Guy is close to but isn't superman; worst thing to do is have him pitch at the end of a double header without a warmup when he's been on the field all day. But that's what decades of coaching experience hasn't taught me.

It's going to be difficult to go to some of the inexperienced (this year) arms as our schedule ramps up. I agree completely with your philosophy, but the midweek games will be against the likes of UGa and Auburn....people we will need to beat to continue to make noise. I think you will see a reliance on Hall's favorites until we meet maybe BC on the road (and that's like 3 weeks away)

It's going to be difficult to go to some of the inexperienced (this year) arms as our schedule ramps up. I agree completely with your philosophy, but the midweek games will be against the likes of UGa and Auburn....people we will need to beat to continue to make noise. I think you will see a reliance on Hall's favorites until we meet maybe BC on the road (and that's like 3 weeks away)

I really hope thay Gibson is no longer 1 of his favorites until he can prove himself again.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
We exit the weekend tied for 1st in Coastal with UVA. We hold tiebreaker over them. The division winners are the #1 & #2 seeds in ACC tournament & seeds 3-12 are based on conference winning %. In other words, the #2 seed can theoretically "not" have 2nd best winning % in conference. I don't think that has ever happened, but could happen this year. The Coastal champ will host a regional...no doubt imo.

Our 7 remaining ACC series are against 4 Coastal teams currently all below .500 in ACC play & the 2 bottom dwellers of Atlantic (ND & BC) plus Clemson.

We should have a bigger cushion over the Coastal competition, but it is nice to be where we are.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
We exit the weekend tied for 1st in Coastal with UVA. We hold tiebreaker over them. The division winners are the #1 & #2 seeds in ACC tournament & seeds 3-12 are based on conference winning %. In other words, the #2 seed can theoretically "not" have 2nd best winning % in conference. I don't think that has ever happened, but could happen this year. The Coastal champ will host a regional...no doubt imo.

Our 7 remaining ACC series are against 4 Coastal teams currently all below .500 in ACC play & the 2 bottom dwellers of Atlantic (ND & BC) plus Clemson.

We should have a bigger cushion over the Coastal competition, but it is nice to be where we are.
I don't think ND is a bottom dweller.

Deleted member 2897

I don't think ND is a bottom dweller.

I mean they shouldn’t be. But neither should be Virginia. It is what it is. They’re not even close to a 0.500 team overall. 2-1 is bare minimum and will feel just okay.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We have a very good team with a very horrible in-game coach.

I believe Hall should continue to run the program as a CEO, recruiting and managing the overall program, but turn over dugout decisions to ....someone else...anyone else....@GTNavyNuke maybe?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have a very good team with a very horrible in-game coach.

I believe Hall should continue to run the program as a CEO, recruiting and managing the overall program, but turn over dugout decisions to ....someone else...anyone else....@GTNavyNuke maybe?

Ramsey would be a good tryout. Today is a good time to announce it, but I would have preferred yesterday or last year.......

Not Howell since he is complicit with the relief pitching debacle.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This weekend's winners:
  • UNC @VT; UNC 2-1. Somewhat of an upset pick given how UNC has played. UNC is going to get hot at some point, they largely have their Omaha team.
  • Clemson @ BC; Clemson 2-1 or better. This is an upset pick but I'm going with Clemson talent.
  • Pitt @UVa; UVa 2-1 or better.
  • WF @ Duke; Duke 2-1 or better. This is a rivalry but Duke is a much better team.
  • GT @ L'Ville; L'Ville 2-1.
  • FSU@ND; FSU 2-1. ND is not that good. FSU can be.
  • NC State @ Miami; NC State 2-1. I'm less certain of this one since NC State good luck so far has to average out at some point. But Miami is very young and tanking (lost 3 in a row).

For @FredJacket , that's 4 of 7 road team wins. Not likely but can happen.

Just to recap, outcome in bold, predictions not bolded.

Once again, I sucked on 2 of 7 picks. Glad I was wrong on the two I was wrong on. Just for @FredJacket , I'd like to point out that 1 of 7 home teams won last weekend. Statistically improbable.
  • UNC @VT; UNC 2-1. UNC 2-1. Somewhat of an upset pick given how UNC has played. UNC is going to get hot at some point, they largely have their Omaha team.
  • Clemson @ BC; Clemson 2-1 or better. Clemson 2-1. This is an upset pick but I'm going with Clemson talent.
  • Pitt @UVa; UVa 2-1 or better. UVa 3-0
  • WF @ Duke; Duke 2-1 or better. WF 2-1. This is a rivalry but Duke is a much better team.
  • GT @ L'Ville; L'Ville 2-1. GT 2-1.
  • FSU@ND; FSU 2-1. FSU 2-1. ND is not that good. FSU can be.
  • NC State @ Miami; NC State 2-1. NC State 3-0. I'm less certain of this one since NC State good luck so far has to average out at some point. But Miami is very young and tanking (lost 3 in a row).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
With top teams in Coastal at a not-dominant 5-4. What do you think is the win total to take Coastal this season? Most years the winner has 21 or more wins. Given this remaining schedule for Tech, can they get to 20? I bet 19 or 20 does it in 2019. FIND 15 wins in these 7 series?
ND
UNC
@BC
@VT
CLEM
@DUKE
PITT

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With top teams in Coastal at a not-dominant 5-4. What do you think is the win total to take Coastal this season? Most years the winner has 21 or more wins. Given this remaining schedule for Tech, can they get to 20? I bet 19 or 20 does it in 2019. FIND 15 wins in these 7 series?
ND
UNC
@BC
@VT
CLEM
@DUKE
PITT

Warren Nolan has us winning 13 more (in black), I guess my most likely way to 15 is as below in blue. Warren Nolan doesn't think we are going to do well on the road for some reason (tic). I think 12 is much more likely unless we get a lot of complete or 7+ inning pitched games.
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/team-predict-schedule?team=Georgia-Tech

ND 3, 2
UNC 3!!, 2
@BC 1, 2
@VT 1, 2
CLEM 2, 2
@DUKE 0, 2
PITT 2, 3

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok, I listened to the march 18 podcast on baseball America (College Pod) and it gave me a different perspective on things, that we are really really close to being a top echelon team. UCLA just took a series from last years CWS champs Oregon state and based on descriptions and scores, we played them much better. Furthermore, some of the top programs they talked about were working their way through issues similar to ours. A lot of the descriptions they give about top teams like Miss St, UGA, Texas etc could very easily be said about GT. We just need to solve the one issue. I just keep hoping that we flip the switch and those one or two guys “figure it out” and step up. Everything else is in place. I am just trying to ignore those lingering doubts caused by continued disappointment and past failures that point towards the coaching staff and believe we will overcome. I encourage a few of y’all to listen to it and see if it affects you the same way it did me.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Warren Nolan has us winning 13 more (in black), I guess my most likely way to 15 is as below in blue. Warren Nolan doesn't think we are going to do well on the road for some reason (tic). I think 12 is much more likely unless we get a lot of complete or 7+ inning pitched games.
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/team-predict-schedule?team=Georgia-Tech

ND 3, 2
UNC 3!!, 2
@BC 1, 2
@VT 1, 2
CLEM 2, 2
@DUKE 0, 2
PITT 2, 3
Warren Nolan's algorithm is a little weird & clearly weights homefield too much over 3 game series. I hope your 12 is low.

15 is probably a ceiling because it basically requires winning all 7 series & sweeping one...
Or
Sweep ND & PITT
Win 2-1 UNC, CLEM, @BC, @VT
Drop series @DUKE 1-2
^^That's my formula.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
At this point, not going 3-0 vs ND will be a disappointment, You can't go 3-1 (and should be 4-0) against D1Baseball.com #4 team's in the country and then lose a game to Notre Dame at home.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well a few of our fellow ACC teams didn't help our conference RPI again. ACC was 8-3 yesterday.
@VT lost to Liberty 6-1.
WF lost @ UNC Greensboro 9-5.
@FSU lost to Florida.

ACC remains in fourth behind SEC, PAC 12 and BIG **. Better watch out, Missouri Valley is making a move on the ACC.

At this point, not going 3-0 vs ND will be a disappointment, You can't go 3-1 (and should be 4-0) against D1Baseball.com #4 team's in the country and then lose a game to Notre Dame at home.

Gotta read my post on ND. I understand your emotion, but even UCLA lost one to us! I expect a WTF rotation of Gibson and Bartnicki, pulling them only after loading the bases twice.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another big week of ACC baseball and my predictions (worth what you pay for them in time or money :cautious:):
  • Clemson (27 RPI) @ VT (42 RPI). Clemson 2-1. I think VT's castrated turkey pedigree will start to show more.
  • BC (91) @ #20 FSU (59). FSU 2-1.
  • Miami (39) @ Pitt (218). Miami 2-1 or better. I'll be glad to be wrong on this one though.
  • WF (115) @ #11 L'Ville (20). L'Ville 2-1 or better.
  • ND (67) @ GT (24). GT 2-1 or better.:beercheers::beer:
  • Duke (83) @ #16 UNC (22). UNC 2-1. UNC has the talent. So does Duke though. Not high conviction.
  • UVa (143??) @ #5 NC State (11). NC State 2-1. UVa will probably take a game. NC State is very good and has a horse shoe jammed up their butt and will hit a rough spot. Just don't know when.
So I think 5 home teams will win. I've gotten two wrong each of the last two weeks; Duke/UNC and Clemson/VT are the two closest in my mind to going the other way.