2019 ACC Baseball

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This weekend two really great matchups on the national scale:
  • #7 L'Ville @Duke. These two reportedly have the best weekend starting pitching in the ACC. I'm sure this will be a split series. Hard to call the winner since L'Ville is probably better but @Duke. Guess L'Ville takes the series since I don't like Duke.
  • #10 FSU @ undefeated #20 NC State. I think NC State takes the series. But very close to call.
Lesser matchups:
  • UM @#15 UNC. UNC takes two or three. Miami wasn't that impressive against us and UNC has to be super pissed about losing a balk off and walk off last week to Clemson.
  • ND @ #24 Clemson. Clemson easily takes two, maybe three.
  • UVa @GT. See other thread. GT takes two. Nothing of national significance here. My favorite two ACC teams; as @bwelbo says, "sad".
  • BC @Wake. BC takes two. There is something wrong in Wake's water.
  • VT@Pitt. VT takes two. Pitt is clearly the worst team in the ACC this year.
Given how poorly FSU played vs VPI&SU, that portends that they will thrash NC State on the road because....it's college baseball and nothing ever makes sense. Look for the Noles to take that series. I'm with you all the way on Louisville over Duke. Duck Fuke. I think you're right on about the rest.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
IMG_4575.jpg
Tied for 1st in Coastal. Looking down at UNC & Duke. Things could be worse.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This weekend two really great matchups on the national scale:
  • #7 L'Ville @Duke. These two reportedly have the best weekend starting pitching in the ACC. I'm sure this will be a split series. Hard to call the winner since L'Ville is probably better but @Duke. Guess L'Ville takes the series since I don't like Duke.
  • #10 FSU @ undefeated #20 NC State. I think NC State takes the series. But very close to call.
Lesser matchups:
  • UM @#15 UNC. UNC takes two or three. Miami wasn't that impressive against us and UNC has to be super pissed about losing a balk off and walk off last week to Clemson.
  • ND @ #24 Clemson. Clemson easily takes two, maybe three.
  • UVa @GT. See other thread. GT takes two. Nothing of national significance here. My favorite two ACC teams; as @bwelbo says, "sad".
  • BC @Wake. BC takes two. There is something wrong in Wake's water.
  • VT@Pitt. VT takes two. Pitt is clearly the worst team in the ACC this year.

Well I was wrong on two series. Thought Clemson would take two at home. And Wake wouldn't wake up over BC.

4 home teams took their series. UNC, NC State, GT and Wake.

3 lost @ home. @Pitt ( no surprise). @Clemson lost two to ND????? @Duke dropping all three to L'Ville??????

More on L'ville later. They are as good as UCLA IMHO.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mid-week games affect the RPI as much as weekend games. The ACC didn't take care of business in a few cases the last two days:

@Liberty over UNC
@Northeastern (not NW) over BC
UCF over @FSU
Kent State over @Pitt
Campbell over @Duke
3-10 Columbia over @Miami!

ACC third in RPI behind SEC and PAC-12. Barely over Big 12 http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/conferencerpi

Come on guys, the ACC needs the RPI points to put more teams into the NCAAs. One of those bubble teams may be us.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Liberty is a VERY good team, iiuc. They have wins over UVA and VPI&SU as well as the win over UNC and are 15-5 on the year (12-1 at home).

But, your point is correct. ACC isn’t all that this year and a 15-15 conference record shouldn’t be anything to be proud of.

BTW, Auburn and Georgia are both 19-2 so far this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This weekend's winners:
  • UNC @VT; UNC 2-1. Somewhat of an upset pick given how UNC has played. UNC is going to get hot at some point, they largely have their Omaha team.
  • Clemson @ BC; Clemson 2-1 or better. This is an upset pick but I'm going with Clemson talent.
  • Pitt @UVa; UVa 2-1 or better.
  • WF @ Duke; Duke 2-1 or better. This is a rivalry but Duke is a much better team.
  • GT @ L'Ville; L'Ville 2-1.
  • FSU@ND; FSU 2-1. ND is not that good. FSU can be.
  • NC State @ Miami; NC State 2-1. I'm less certain of this one since NC State good luck so far has to average out at some point. But Miami is very young and tanking (lost 3 in a row).

For @FredJacket , that's 4 of 7 road team wins. Not likely but can happen.

Deleted member 2897

Mid-week games affect the RPI as much as weekend games. The ACC didn't take care of business in a few cases the last two days:

@Liberty over UNC

Like I had mentioned, UNC was 16-5, but nearly half of their wins were 1-2 run squeakers over the likes of NCA&T, UNCW, and others. And now they lose to Liberty. We MUST win that series at home in a few weeks.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tech could/should win the Coastal. Tied for 1st now. IIRC our schedule is identical to UNC. Only difference... We play LOU. They get NCST.

This weekend will really lay foundation for a run at the division. If we're within a game of 1st, I like our chances. I'm still saying below .500 in ACC is a pretty significant disappointment.

VT no-hitter over UNC thru 8 right now

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Tech could/should win the Coastal. Tied for 1st now. IIRC our schedule is identical to UNC. Only difference... We play LOU. They get NCST.

This weekend will really lay foundation for a run at the division. If we're within a game of 1st, I like our chances. I'm still saying below .500 in ACC is a pretty significant disappointment.

VT no-hitter over UNC thru 8 right now

GT could win Coastal. Hope so but I don't expect it. My opinion could change this weekend. I think VT and Miami have a great chance to win. VT especially has to be the favorite since they have UNC, Clemson, @WF, @Duke, GT, BC and UVa. They beat UNC 4-1 today. UNC at 2-5 really surprises me....

D1 Baseball had picks today of 8 contributing staff; all 8 picked L'Ville to win our series and NC State and Miami was 4 and 4.

All 8 picked @UGAg to beat LSU. Piss on them.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
LSU beat the Dawgs, 1-0. Kinda makes for a near perfect night.

FYI, I am watching a Texas play TCU, and BOTH starting pitchers have thrown over 100 pitches ...around 110 actually... and are still in after 8 complete in a 1-0 game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
LSU beat the Dawgs, 1-0. Kinda makes for a near perfect night.

FYI, I am watching a Texas play TCU, and BOTH starting pitchers have thrown over 100 pitches ...around 110 actually... and are still in after 8 complete in a 1-0 game.

Love the dwags losing.

NCState just took out Miami 6-3. Thank you!

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
And in 2 of those 3 ACC losses, we had the lead in the 9th. So it could be a LOT better than it is! Not complaining about where we are though.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
The issue remains.....the elephant in the dugout....the bullpen.

We have seen two truly fabulous games by our starters and we now seem to have one reliable arm in the’pen in English. But after that.....

Teams will learn they have to drive pitch counts up to get to our relievers. We must still find at least two more decent performers out of the bullpen.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The issue remains.....the elephant in the dugout....the bullpen.

We have seen two truly fabulous games by our starters and we now seem to have one reliable arm in the’pen in English. But after that.....

Teams will learn they have to drive pitch counts up to get to our relievers. We must still find at least two more decent performers out of the bullpen.
I don't want to give up on the bullpen. [Not saying you are] Driving pitch counts up on starters should be every college team's plan for every game. Hopefully, Louisville isn't reading this.

I think we have some weapons out there... just need to somehow set them up for success, gain some confidence... & like @GTNavyNuke says, have the hook ready when trouble is apparent.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't want to give up on the bullpen. [Not saying you are] Driving pitch counts up on starters should be every college team's plan for every game. Hopefully, Louisville isn't reading this.

I think we have some weapons out there... just need to somehow set them up for success, gain some confidence... & like @GTNavyNuke says, have the hook ready when trouble is apparent.

I think we need to use our relievers more and for shorter periods of time. Others have suggested that. By more I mean when we are well ahead or well behind, get the guys in for either an inning or even just a couple of batters when the matchup "should" be favorable. Hall started off the season doing that and then stopped. In the last week, especially against UVa, we saw more arms and a quick hook. Pulling a pitcher after a walk and then a 1-0 count is a step in the right direction.

I liked warming up English during our AB for the ninth inning if he is going to close. Let's him get warmed up and focused the right way. Guy is close to but isn't superman; worst thing to do is have him pitch at the end of a double header without a warmup when he's been on the field all day. But that's what decades of coaching experience hasn't taught me.