2019 ACC Baseball

Squints

Helluva Engineer
So who is THE best arm right now? ...let's assume a rested/healthy Xay. Legit question.

I don't know how you don't pick Thomas. Curry is too homer prone and I don't think it's the ballpark. I'd love to see his ground ball percentage and home road splits to be sure but I think that's a cop out. I would have put Hurter right on Thomas' heels based on the way he was pitching before he got hurt.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how you don't pick Thomas. Curry is too homer prone and I don't think it's the ballpark. I'd love to see his ground ball percentage and home road splits to be sure but I think that's a cop out. I would have put Hurter right on Thomas' heels based on the way he was pitching before he got hurt.
When Curry comes back, I want to see him in the bullpen. Willingham, Thomas, and Roedig is a solid rotation. Bartnicki, Hughes, Curry, Chapman, English, Carpenter, and Winborne is a deep bullpen that can really help us advance in the tournament.
Curry in bullpen.... THAT is something I'd like to see. BADLY. If that happens, CDH is officially "different"

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Pitt took two of three from UNC. Just when you thought it was safe to play an RPI over 200 team.....(actually, they are up to#196 now)

Miami also stays right on our heels....one game back but they hold the tiebreaker. Makes me feel like one slip-up and they’ll pass us. Both teams are red hot right now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Pitt took two of three from UNC. Just when you thought it was safe to play an RPI over 200 team.....(actually, they are up to#196 now)

Miami also stays right on our heels....one game back but they hold the tiebreaker. Makes me feel like one slip-up and they’ll pass us. Both teams are red hot right now.

I believe Duke plays Miami next week. Let’s hope after being swept by us this week they come out with a renewed fire on their belly next week. :D

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Pitt on that turf field and Pitt in a normal park are two very different animals. We’ve had a ton of trouble playing them away since they joined. But I wouldn’t read too much into them stealing a series against UNC at home.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok, time to look for ACC seeding tiebreakers. Assume Lville 1 seed. 2/3/4 will be filled by some combination of GT, UNC, Miami, FSU, NCSU.

Miami now controls their own destiny, and finishes up their WF series tonight. I get the impression the 4 seed vs 5 seed will be determined by a tiebreaker...what are tiebreakers for 3-way ties? Or vs Atlantic teams we didn't play?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
In Division:
Three-or-More-Team Tie
(1) Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
(2) Records of the tied teams within the division.
(3) Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) conference winning percentage, and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken first to last.
(4) Overall record versus non-divisional opponents.
(5) Combined record versus all common non-divisional opponents.
(6) Record versus common non-divisional opponents with the best overall conference (divisional and non-divisional) winning percentage and proceeding through the other common non-divisional opponents based on their order of finish within the division.
(7) The seed(s) shall be chosen by a draw.

Non-Division:
Three-or-More-Team Tie
(1) Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams (if common opponents).
(2) Head-to-head competition of the tied teams compared to common opponents with the highest overall conference winning percentage and continuing until one team gains an advantage.
(3) The seed shall be chosen by a draw.

http://theacc.com/sports/2015/4/20/_131481552890038679.aspx

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ok, time to look for ACC seeding tiebreakers. Assume Lville 1 seed. 2/3/4 will be filled by some combination of GT, UNC, Miami, FSU, NCSU.

Miami now controls their own destiny, and finishes up their WF series tonight. I get the impression the 4 seed vs 5 seed will be determined by a tiebreaker...what are tiebreakers for 3-way ties? Or vs Atlantic teams we didn't play?
If UNC & NCST play 3 games next weekend, they cannot finish tied to each other.

Tech holds tiebreaker over NCST by virtue of our record v Louisville (team with best conf winning %)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, as pleasant as it would be to win the ACC, it matters not at all to me. Post-season NCAA success is what I want. Call me greedy.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, as pleasant as it would be to win the ACC, it matters not at all to me. Post-season NCAA success is what I want. Call me greedy.
I have attended all but 1 ACC Tournament since 2011. Just observing... I do believe the high seeds approach the tournament just as you indicate. Winning is great...but their eyes are clearly on setting up to be rested & ready for regionals... the following week.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I have attended all but 1 ACC Tournament since 2011. Just observing... I do believe the high seeds approach the tournament just as you indicate. Winning is great...but their eyes are clearly on setting up to be rested & ready for regionals... the following week.
I kind of agree and kind of dont... I like the idea of winning the Coastal and making a deep run thru conference championships, but at the same time, I see it as a Duke or UNC just resting up for March Madness.

Deleted member 2897

We are #6 in D1 baseball poll this morning. Uga is 7th.

We are ranked ahead of Louisville and Georgia. Makes sense, since we beat them. That gives me hope of a super regional - that the committee won't just look at RPI but the full body of work.

A lot of these teams are extremely close.

If it were me, I would move Mississippi State and Arkansas down. Arkansas is 39-13, while (for example), Tech is 35-15, East Carolina is 39-12, and Texas Tech is 34-14. Almost identical records. Non-conference strength of schedule is #198 #153 respectively, versus #14, #17, and #16 respectively. If teams are extremely close on record, and their RPIs are almost on top of each other, I'd give a huge scheduling difference like that the nod.

So if it were me, I would rank the teams as follows:
1) Vanderbilt (41-10), #2 SOS, 22-8 in Q1
2) UCLA (41-8), #19 SOS, 15-6 in Q1
3) East Carolina (39-12), #27 SOS (#17 non-conference SOS), only 7 Q4 games. They did not try to book an easy schedule.
4) Texas Tech (34-14), #11 SOS, #16 non-conference SOS, only 6 Q4 games (4-2). Lost 2 of them otherwise their RPI would be a lot higher, and both of those were barely Q4 and both were squeakers over 1-2 months ago.
5) Georgia Tech (35-15), #7 SOS, #14 non-conference SOS. We are currently at 13-2 in 2+ game series this season. If we beat Mercer and Pitt, then we finish the season 15-2. The only 2 series we lost were UCLA and Miami on a B9 come from behind win.
6/7/8 Miss St / Louisville / Arkansas

9) Georgia - they play barely 0.500 ball on the road (13-10), their non-conference SOS is #123, and they played 18 Q3/Q4 games (we played 10 by comparison, Vanderbilt played 8). So basically, their record is only 39-14 and similar to these teams because they booked a ton of worthless teams to play at home.