2019 ACC Baseball

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Think that drops us below UL in the RPI. But I’ll take it anyway.
The RPI math can spit out the "number" / ranking; but where it matters, humans [a committee] decides what matters. And if Ga Tech & Louisville are neck and neck, Ga Tech will prevail.... as things sit today.

The ACCT could provide a legit "update" to that, though.

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
The RPI math can spit out the "number" / ranking; but where it matters, humans [a committee] decides what matters. And if Ga Tech & Louisville are neck and neck, Ga Tech will prevail.... as things sit today.

Agreed! Not to mention we really need to win the division over Miami. Otherwise, by losing the series and division to Miami, we open up a solid argument that we should be seeded behind them.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Path to Coastal Division Championship for Ga Tech!!! ...what a time to be ALIVE!
(this assumes 3 games are played in each series):

1) 3-0 v Pitt – No HELP NEEDED. Coastal Champs!!!
OR

2) 2-1 v Pitt
a. Need Miami to win no more than 2 v Duke (no Miami sweep)

OR

3) 1-2 v Pitt
a. Need Miami to win no more than 1 v Duke
AND
b. Need UNC to win no more than 2 v NCST (no UNC sweep)

OR

4) 0-3 v Pitt
a. Need Miami to win 0 v Duke (a Duke sweep of Miami)
AND
b. Need UNC to win no more than 1 v NCST

**Miami wins Coastal IF in a 3-way tie with GT and UNC.
Disclaimer: Shoot holes in my stuff above. I am never sure I have things right.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Agreed! Not to mention we really need to win the division over Miami. Otherwise, by losing the series and division to Miami, we open up a solid argument that we should be seeded behind them.

Not really. Our resume is significantly better than Miami right now. In just about every metric (series wins, RPI, SOS, Top 25/50/100 wins). Maybe if they were right behind us in the pecking order, but they’re not.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

I'm backing off of this [my] less than fully objective take on Lou v GT in RPI & seeding. While Tech did win 2 of 3 in Louisville (nobody cares about "almost" sweeps); Louisville is poised to win ACC regular season & they didn't even play Pitt or VT. I think [right now] Louisville would be a higher seed. GT can leap them by matching or beating Louisville for ACC regular season (still possible mathematically) OR going deep(er) into ACCT.

Deleted member 2897

I'm backing off of this [my] less than fully objective take on Lou v GT in RPI & seeding. While Tech did win 2 of 3 in Louisville (nobody cares about "almost" sweeps); Louisville is poised to win ACC regular season & they didn't even play Pitt or VT. I think [right now] Louisville would be a higher seed. GT can leap them by matching or beating Louisville for ACC regular season (still possible mathematically) OR going deep(er) into ACCT.

Well, from spots maybe 3/4 through 14/15, there isn't much difference. Each team could make arguments relative to Q4 games, RPI, non-conference RPI, conference record, and so on. All you can do is what you can control. If we don't make it, we'll be able to look back on 5 games like Northwestern, Virginia, Miami, Louisville, Virginia Tech, Clemson where we had the lead in the second half of the game (sometimes in literally the 9th inning), but let the other team come back and win.

Deleted member 2897

Miami scored late to beat Duke.
UNC scored late to beat NC State.

Louisville best the Sam Hill out of FSU.

Deleted member 2897

Louisville will lose tonight - down by 9 in 8th.
Miami down by 4 in the 7th.
North Carolina down by 9 in the 9th.

A possible trifecta!

Deleted member 2897

Assuming FSU wins. We will be playing for the conference title tomorrow. We win and Louisville loses, we are the regular season champs.

We both play at 1pm. Louisville down by 9 in the 8th.

Amazing we’re playing for the championship tomorrow. I’d say 33% chance we win and Louisville loses tomorrow. But that’s a pretty amazing situation to be in.