2019 ACC Baseball

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
If UNC & NCST play 3 games next weekend, they cannot finish tied to each other.

Tech holds tiebreaker over NCST by virtue of our record v Louisville (team with best conf winning %)

Best I can figure, a 2-1 weekend vs Pitt, and we're locked in to a top 4 seed. With Lville playing FSU, and UNC playing NCSU, every win gives someone else in that group a loss.

I hear what everyone's saying about NCAAs>ACCT, but I'm enjoying this season too much. I want to do some damage in the ACCT and solidify our national seed resume. Gimme that pod seed tiebreaker.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Best I can figure, a 2-1 weekend vs Pitt, and we're locked in to a top 4 seed. With Lville playing FSU, and UNC playing NCSU, every win gives someone else in that group a loss.

I hear what everyone's saying about NCAAs>ACCT, but I'm enjoying this season too much. I want to do some damage in the ACCT and solidify our national seed resume. Gimme that pod seed tiebreaker.
While we are being greedy ..... I want a top two seed for ACCT. That way you avoid the 5 & 6 seed, likely FSU and NCSU, which are two pretty good teams that will be desperate. Of course Clemson is lurking a little further back and they ain't exactly chopped liver.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
While we are being greedy ..... I want a top two seed for ACCT. That way you avoid the 5 & 6 seed, likely FSU and NCSU, which are two pretty good teams that will be desperate. Of course Clemson is lurking a little further back and they ain't exactly chopped liver.
Yeah... once you start thinking about matchups, you realize the ACCT will have 11 teams in top 70 RPI.... plus ND (top 100).

Last year Pitt (the 12-seed) won their pool.

A top 4 seed is big advantage. After that, your playing good baseball teams that want/need to win.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully, I'm the only loser paying attention tonight [watching Miami at Wake]. And while there is plenty of time for Wake to make a mild comeback to win and help our beloved Jackets...this evening....

...I'm here wondering how many teams' fans over that last [too many to count seasons] have had moments to rely on a middling Ga Tech team to win a game to help their cause only to be met with significant disappointment...watching ugly baseball.

Deleted member 2897

Hopefully, I'm the only loser paying attention tonight [watching Miami at Wake]. And while there is plenty of time for Wake to make a mild comeback to win and help our beloved Jackets...this evening....

...I'm here wondering how many teams' fans over that last [too many to count seasons] have had moments to rely on a middling Ga Tech team to win a game to help their cause only to be met with significant disappointment...watching ugly baseball.

This will be something like Miami’s 7th sweep this season (not a typo) in a 3-game series (Conference and non-conference) if they hang on against Wake. Such a shame we could not sweep ND or BC or VT... and we actually almost lost the series against ND and VT.

The other interesting thing because of those sweeps -we’ve only lost 1 ACC series while Miami has lost 3. But they could still finish ahead of us because of those sweeps.

And the final sad point - Wake is not a bad team, so sweeping them on the road is giving them a big boost in RPI and polls.

Last edited by a moderator:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
This will be something like Miami’s 7th sweep this season (not a typo) in a 3-game series (Conference and non-conference) if they hang on against Wake. Such a shame we could not sweep ND or BC or VT... and we actually almost lost the series against ND and VT.

The other interesting thing because of those sweeps -we’ve only lost 1 ACC series while Miami has lost 3. But they could still finish ahead of us because of those sweeps.
Like I said, the only game that we lost this year that I'm still pissed about is the UVA game. We should have won that game and with that win, Miami would not be able to catch us. I'm not as upset about losing the Saturday Miami game because of it being the first ACC series and on the road.

Deleted member 2897

Like I said, the only game that we lost this year that I'm still pissed about is the UVA game. We should have won that game and with that win, Miami would not be able to catch us. I'm not as upset about losing the Saturday Miami game because of it being the first ACC series and on the road.

Well, Wake has caught up again, so there is hope. If Miami sweeps Wake and Duke to finish, they’ll have 8 sweeps. At some point we also have to tip our hat to them. Dammit.

Deleted member 2897

Looking at Miami still. Sheeeeeeit. They only scored 8 runs TOTAL against VT and swept them. Huh? And they only scored 4 more runs than Pitt in that series. So they’ve had some damn luck too.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
The Miami one was the hardest for me to swallow. That batter had like a .450 BA. First was open too, if I recall. Shouldn't have pitched to him.

Last edited:

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
The Miami one was the hardest for me to swallow. That batter had like a .450 BA. First was open too, if I recall. Shouldn't have pitched to him.

Put the winning run at 1st? Idk about that. Louisville was infuriating. We had shut them down all weekend. And walked like 4 guys in the 9th.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
After 2 outs with nobody on if memory serves me correctly.
They had a guy in scoring position, it's why the HR blew the 1-run lead. And I normally agree, but we hadn't had an answer for that guy all night. I just felt like I could see it coming.

But maybe my memory is just fogged by my sour grapes :)