2019 ACC Baseball

Deleted member 2897

I switched over after our game. Hard to watch. Hokie starter gets to the 8th with 128 pitches. Runners on first and second they still leave him in. Gives up a game-winning 2-run single and is beating himself up like he didn't just leave everything on the field. Poor kid.

At least UNC lost. 1 game lead!

128 pitches???? That’s abuse. Poor guy. Reminds me of the Monty python guy who keeps fighting with 1 arm.

giphy.gif

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, down to 7 games left in league play.....today vs Clemson, then 3 on the road with duke followed by 3 at home vs Pitt. The Duke series does still scare me, that’s a decent team that has been playing very well the last 3 weeks, and we could easily lose a series there. It sure would be nice to finish Clemson off today to build a buffer in case we need it after visiting Durham.

Miami has won the first two at home vs VT, and is also surging, but we lead them still by 2 games (but they hold the tie breaker). They will finish @Wake Forest and home vs Duke. I am less worried about UNC, in part because UVA is giving them fits, in part because we own the tie breaker with them, and mostly because we finish with Pitt while they finish with N C State.

We are up to #6 in RPI this morning.

Bottom line......another win today over Clemson would be YUGE for us!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So did Danny Hall remember how to coach again this year or is this year just further proof that there are ups and downs in sports? And talent on hand matters.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
So did Danny Hall remember how to coach again this year or is this year just further proof that there are ups and downs in sports? And talent on hand matters.

Our pitching staff - despite losing Archer - is the healthiest it’s been in 6/7 years. We’ve lost 1 or 2 weekend starters before the season started like clockwork the majority of the last decade.

Deleted member 2897

Just need to take care of business and win the series from both Duke and Pitt.

Collapsing, and not being able to sweep Louisville, Virginia, Notre Dame, Virginia tech, and/or Clemson all cumulatively hurt a lot. But isn’t it nice to be able to complain that we’re barely in 1st.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Collapsing, and not being able to sweep Louisville, Virginia, Notre Dame, Virginia tech, and/or Clemson all cumulatively hurt a lot. But isn’t it nice to be able to complain that we’re barely in 1st.
You're right about that. There are only 2 losses that I have really been upset with this year and that was the 2nd Miami game and the 1st game against Virginia. The goal is to keep winning series though and we have done that. Like I said at the beginning of the year, if you win every series, you'll be 20-10 and that should win any division. We are on pace, imo, for 19-11 which is damn good and we still have a legitimate shot at 20-10. Just keep on rolling.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This weekend should be easy to pick, so I'll probably get 2 right. Only six ACC series. The upset I'll take is WF @FSU.
  • Clemson (36 rpi) @GT (10 rpi). GT 2-1.
  • UVa (86) @ UNC (18). UNC 2-1 or better. Wish it were better for UVa.
  • NC State (25) @ ND (128). NC State 2-1 or better. Two blowouts and a close one.
  • WF (67) @FSU (56). WF 2-1. I think WF is coming on and a better team.
  • Duke (44) @BC (64). Duke 2-1. Duke is coming on and their pitching is really good.
  • VT (45) @ Miami (14). Miami 2-1. Miami has the talent and is getting more experience, I can see them doing well in the ACC tourney.

Well bad weekend guessing, worst % yet 4-2. At least we took the series. I wouldn't be enjoying the evening as much if we hadn't.
  • Clemson (36 rpi) @GT (10 rpi). GT 2-1. GT 2-1. As expected, no sweep, no public comment.
  • UVa (86) @ UNC (18). UNC 2-1 or better. UNC 2-1. Glad the Hoos took one. Wish it were better for UVa.
  • NC State (25) @ ND (128). NC State 2-1 or better. ND 2-1. Its baseball and NC State has lost their horseshoe. Still shouldn't have happened. Two blowouts and a close one.
  • WF (67) @FSU (56). WF 2-1. FSU 2-1. I knew WF was an upset pick. FSU at 56 rpi only has Pitt (219), Richmond (159) and @ L'Ville (8). They are going to need to sweep the L'Ville series and/or win win the ACC tourney to get a bid. I think WF is coming on and a better team.
  • Duke (44) @BC (64). Duke 2-1. Duke 2-1. We are going to have a tough time taking the @Duke series unless we limit the damage any single reliever does. Duke is coming on and their pitching is really good.
  • VT (45) @ Miami (14). Miami 2-1. Miami 3-0. Miami may win the ACC tourney. They did this sweep which we couldn't without 2 weekend starters and 2 missing LFs. Miami has the talent and is getting more experience, I can see them doing well in the ACC tourney.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Well bad weekend guessing, worst % yet 4-2. At least we took the series. I wouldn't be enjoying the evening as much if we hadn't.
  • Clemson (36 rpi) @GT (10 rpi). GT 2-1. GT 2-1. As expected, no sweep, no public comment.
  • UVa (86) @ UNC (18). UNC 2-1 or better. UNC 2-1. Glad the Hoos took one. Wish it were better for UVa.
  • NC State (25) @ ND (128). NC State 2-1 or better. ND 2-1. Its baseball and NC State has lost their horseshoe. Still shouldn't have happened. Two blowouts and a close one.
  • WF (67) @FSU (56). WF 2-1. FSU 2-1. I knew WF was an upset pick. FSU at 56 rpi only has Pitt (219), Richmond (159) and @ L'Ville (8). They are going to need to sweep the L'Ville series and/or win win the ACC tourney to get a bid. I think WF is coming on and a better team.
  • Duke (44) @BC (64). Duke 2-1. Duke 2-1. We are going to have a tough time taking the @Duke series unless we limit the damage any single reliever does. Duke is coming on and their pitching is really good.
  • VT (45) @ Miami (14). Miami 2-1. Miami 3-0. Miami may win the ACC tourney. They did this sweep which we couldn't without 2 weekend starters and 2 missing LFs. Miami has the talent and is getting more experience, I can see them doing well in the ACC tourney.

As for bullet item #1, I have no public comment either, but if the walls in my house could talk...

Regarding the final bullet item on VT- Miami, yes they pulled off the sweep, but it was in Miami. We had to deal with them on the VT plastic in a DH shortened series. Just happy to get out of some of those places (Pitt, VT, BC, ND) with a series win, especially given our history playing there.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm thinking about remaining schedules, and what it will take to win the Coastal (or even the ACC regular season title!). Everyone has two more series except Louisville, who has three.

GT: 15-9; Duke/Pitt remaining
UNC: 15-9; Pitt/NCSU remaining
Miami: 14-10; WF/Duke remaining
Duke: 13-11; GT/Miami remaining

Lville: 15-6; ND/WF/FSU remaining

NCSU has been struggling, swept by Lville @ home, losing series to middling WF and ND teams on the road. I don't think they can win the series @UNC to end the year. Pitt sucks. UNC is probably looking at 5-1 down the stretch. We hold the tiebreaker, but will need to keep pace at 5-1. To me, that means 2-1 @Duke, and sweeping Pitt at home. I'll be honest; without Hurter, if it comes down to a Sunday game against Pitt where we need to win it to take the Coastal, I'm nervous as hell.

As far as Lville...since we have that tiebreaker, we just need to match their record. Assuming we go 5-1 to end the year, we need them to finish 5-4. FSU is playing very well right now, and it's not crazy to see them winning that series 2-1. Is there any way Lville have 2 more losses between ND and WF?

I cannot believe there's even a possibility the smoke could clear and we'd be the #1 seed in the ACCT, even in a 3-way tie. What a season this has been!

Deleted member 2897

Well, Duke is a 1st quadrant team. Western Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Mercer are all 4th quadrant teams, but only because Q4 is defined as bottom half. Mercer is barely so at #165 out of the 299, Western Carolina is barely so at #183, Pittsburgh is #217. So while we need to go 7-0 against them for the visual of the record against Q4 teams, I would think a 6-1 wouldn't damage us in terms of the RPI calculations themselves.

A 1-2 @Duke and then a 6-1 against the rest would finish us at 37-17 and 19-11 in ACC play.
Lville I suspect will finish 2-1 (@ND), 2-1 (@UVA), 2-1 (FSU home) = 21-9.
UNCheat will probably finish 3-0, 1-2 = 19-11.
Miami will probably finish 2-1, 2-1 = 18-12.
Duke will probably finish 1-2, 1-2 = 15-15.

Note we control our own destiny in the Coastal - if we go 4-2 against Duke/Pitt, UNC because we own the tiebreaker would have to go 5-1. That's sweeping ND on the road and going 2-1 against NC State at home.

Miami owns the tiebreaker against us, so if we go 4-2, they need to finish 5-1 as well.

Duke would have to sweep GT and Miami to have a shot, which won't happen. But they could put some pressure on passing Miami.

So there is the key to me - if we go 4-2 against Pitt/Duke, that will really put the pressure on the rest of the Coastal. Anything better is gravy. And I don't think there is enough gravy to catch Louisville. They'd have to probably lose @UVA 1-2 and lose against FSU 1-2 somehow for us to finish in a tie and then use the tiebreaker.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking about remaining schedules, and what it will take to win the Coastal (or even the ACC regular season title!). Everyone has two more series except Louisville, who has three.

GT: 15-9; Duke/Pitt remaining
UNC: 15-9; Pitt/NCSU remaining
Miami: 14-10; WF/Duke remaining
Duke: 13-11; GT/Miami remaining

Lville: 15-6; ND/WF/FSU remaining

NCSU has been struggling, swept by Lville @ home, losing series to middling WF and ND teams on the road. I don't think they can win the series @UNC to end the year. Pitt sucks. UNC is probably looking at 5-1 down the stretch. We hold the tiebreaker, but will need to keep pace at 5-1. To me, that means 2-1 @Duke, and sweeping Pitt at home. I'll be honest; without Hurter, if it comes down to a Sunday game against Pitt where we need to win it to take the Coastal, I'm nervous as hell.

As far as Lville...since we have that tiebreaker, we just need to match their record. Assuming we go 5-1 to end the year, we need them to finish 5-4. FSU is playing very well right now, and it's not crazy to see them winning that series 2-1. Is there any way Lville have 2 more losses between ND and WF?

I cannot believe there's even a possibility the smoke could clear and we'd be the #1 seed in the ACCT, even in a 3-way tie. What a season this has been!
Good post. I like noodling through all this stuff too. I agree... as we sit here now, 5-1 is needed for Tech to win Coastal and just hope Miami doesn't run table v WF/Duke and/or UNC doesn't do same v Pitt/NCST. It is a little unfortunate NCST has been on a backward trend now... I would feel a little better if that game (UNC v NCST) was in Raleigh; but it isn't. So... I'm hanging my hat on NCST's likely desperation if they find themselves improved and scratching/clawing back into "hosting" discussion.

One concern with Ga Tech (you already mentioned losing Hurter...this relates to that) is the schedule. Our final 7 games Duke/Mercer/Pitt will be played over 9 days. The final series v Pitt is Thurs-Sat (only off days are Mon after Duke and Wed before Pitt... Mercer is on Tuesday).

Nothing's changed. Just win.

Deleted member 2897

GA TECH will likely be 3rd in 3-way tie of GT/MIA/UNC.
We're all 3-3 among each other. Next tiebreaker is division record. Miami has excelled... currently 8-1. UNC 7-2. & Tech 4-2 ....against rest of division.

How bizarre would that be to win 9 out of 10 series yet finish 3rd...in just our own division. That would be a very Tech outcome.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
GA TECH will likely be 3rd in 3-way tie of GT/MIA/UNC.
We're all 3-3 among each other. Next tiebreaker is division record. Miami has excelled... currently 8-1. UNC 7-2. & Tech 4-2 ....against rest of division.
How bizarre would that be to win 9 out of 10 series yet finish 3rd...in just our own division. That would be a very Tech outcome.
Correction (I think)...
In a 3-way tie with MIA/GT/UNC, if Miami wins tiebreaker due to division record... it would revert to back to head to head of remaining teams... so I think Tech would be 2nd of those 3 in that case.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Correction (I think)...
In a 3-way tie with MIA/GT/UNC, if Miami wins tiebreaker due to division record... it would revert to back to head to head of remaining teams... so I think Tech would be 2nd of those 3 in that case.

Funny thing is, we could still be the fourth seed in the tourney, whether we end up 2nd or 3rd in that tiebreaker scenario.

Not but a few weeks ago, we were talking about how glad we were the Coastal winner gets the second seed, because the rest of the top four are definitely coming from the Atlantic. There's still a few weeks of baseball left, but the Coastal could potentially wind up with 3 of the top 4 seeds in the ACCT.