2019 ACC Baseball

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Technically, we could advance without having to beat them 2 times OR we could even lose to them & advance as well.

Also... these projections will change. In fact, the D1Baseball projections we're referencing do not take into account last night's win over UGA. On the other hand, we should probably expect a quality SEC team as a #2 seed should GT host. Just works out that way geographically.
I agree. Given the number of SEC teams likely to get invites, and the fact they desperately try to avoid two teams from one conference in a Regional, all the SEC teams have to go somewhere....and it is far more likely they'll get assigned to closer Regionals than ones in say, Cornvallis or Palo Alto.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This weekend should be easy to pick, so I'll probably get 2 right. Only six ACC series. The upset I'll take is WF @FSU.
  • Clemson (36 rpi) @GT (10 rpi). GT 2-1.
  • UVa (86) @ UNC (18). UNC 2-1 or better. Wish it were better for UVa.
  • NC State (25) @ ND (128). NC State 2-1 or better. Two blowouts and a close one.
  • WF (67) @FSU (56). WF 2-1. I think WF is coming on and a better team.
  • Duke (44) @BC (64). Duke 2-1. Duke is coming on and their pitching is really good.
  • VT (45) @ Miami (14). Miami 2-1. Miami has the talent and is getting more experience, I can see them doing well in the ACC tourney.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think a Miami and Duke both get sweeps. Other than that (and GT sweeping too), I agree with your picks.

I think a Duke is on a major roll and BC is losing interest. I also think Miami is getting hot and is home.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
While we're on the subject of postseason posturing, check out the difference between 1 vs 3, and 3 vs 10.
upload_2019-4-25_12-30-18.png

I think a Miami and Duke both get sweeps. Other than that (and GT sweeping too), I agree with your picks.

I think a Duke is on a major roll and BC is losing interest. I also think Miami is getting hot and is home.

With the weekend BC had, I'm not surprised they're losing interest. Dropping both games of the double header in the 11th, then blowing a 6-2 lead and losing 16-8? That'll ruin a team's mentality.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I read later that Miami has lost their two left fielders and won't have two starters this weekend. I should change to VT but won't since @gtrower took them. :whistle::barefoot: So the Miami sweep is very unlikely.

As to Duke sweep; sweeps are hard and BC at home should be able to prevent that.

It's baseball, we'll see!

Not ACC, but I hope Miss St sweeps ugag. Screw the tourney implications and piss on them.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Granted there are only 6 ACC series this week (not the full 7... with LOU and Pitt playing OOC). But I'm willing to say the streak will stay alive (unlike Nuke's predictions) and we'll see at least one sweep. There have been no sweep-less weekends, yet...in the ACC.

FSU has been a little hot, lately. I'll say they sweep WF in Tallahassee. ...and there is something about Mike Martin's last season. I just see FSU continuing to right the ship and set up for another post-season for Martin in his final year.

A non-Ga Tech person would probably look at the Clem @ GT series as one with sweep potential. Given how "hot" GT is and how "down" Clemson is... that prediction would take someone with no "Jacket genes" in their system at all. We all know that is just not how things work "around here". Now.. should Ga Tech pull off the sweep, I'll be the 1st to tell you we should have seen it coming all along. But again... can't say that on Friday. No chance. ..and until we do sweep, we can't sweep.

So..
Tech 2-1
UNC 2-1
State 2-1
FSU 3-0
Duke 2-1
VT 2-1

Looking at the data, here are number of sweeps by week in ACC (in order):
2 (NCST over Pitt; Clem over UNC)
1 (LOU over @ Duke)
2 (NCST over @ MIA; UVA over Pitt)
3 (Clem over @ VT; LOU over WF; UNC over Duke)
1 (Duke over Pitt)
3 (FSU over Clem; LOU over @ NCST; MIA over @ UVA)
2 (Duke over @ Clem; UNC over BC)

ACC teams yet to record a sweep: Ga Tech, WF, ND, BC, VT, Pitt

Deleted member 2897

Granted there are only 6 ACC series this week (not the full 7... with LOU and Pitt playing OOC). But I'm willing to say the streak will stay alive (unlike Nuke's predictions) and we'll see at least one sweep. There have been no sweep-less weekends, yet...in the ACC.

FSU has been a little hot, lately. I'll say they sweep WF in Tallahassee. ...and there is something about Mike Martin's last season. I just see FSU continuing to right the ship and set up for another post-season for Martin in his final year.

A non-Ga Tech person would probably look at the Clem @ GT series as one with sweep potential. Given how "hot" GT is and how "down" Clemson is... that prediction would take someone with no "Jacket genes" in their system at all. We all know that is just not how things work "around here". Now.. should Ga Tech pull off the sweep, I'll be the 1st to tell you we should have seen it coming all along. But again... can't say that on Friday. No chance. ..and until we do sweep, we can't sweep.

So..
Tech 2-1
UNC 2-1
State 2-1
FSU 3-0
Duke 2-1
VT 2-1

1 (LOU over @ Duke)
1 (Duke over Pitt)

Man we are in bad company.

I just want us to freaking win tonight. We’ll never sweep if we keep losing game 1. (I may have gotten that from Yogi.)

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
1 (LOU over @ Duke)
1 (Duke over Pitt)

Also interesting, ACC team's yet to be swept:

GT, Louisville, ND, FSU

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

So..
Tech 2-1
UNC 2-1
State 2-1
FSU 3-0
Duke 2-1
VT 2-1

1 (LOU over @ Duke)
1 (Duke over Pitt)

I think that UNC or NC State could sweep so I hedged at 2-1 or better.

Talking with a long time GT fan and collegiate swimmer, we think that Lucy is tempting us.

I want the win tonight so we don't get swept. Then if we get that, let's talk about Saturday. At least the weather is good. We have a biblical rain and wind right now. Will have to clean up a lot of pine tree debris.

Here's the reason for caution: look at the NCAA history. Last time we were National Seed in 2010 we were 8th National Seed and didn't even win our region. IIWII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg..._baseball#Georgia_Tech_in_the_NCAA_Tournament

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think that UNC or NC State could sweep so I hedged at 2-1 or better.

Talking with a long time GT fan and collegiate swimmer, we think that Lucy is tempting us.

I want the win tonight so we don't get swept. Then if we get that, let's talk about Saturday. At least the weather is good. We have a biblical rain and wind right now. Will have to clean up a lot of pine tree debris.

Here's the reason for caution: look at the NCAA history. Last time we were National Seed in 2010 we were 8th National Seed and didn't even win our region. IIWII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg..._baseball#Georgia_Tech_in_the_NCAA_Tournament
Oh yeah... Lucy is lurking.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Miami puts up a 2 spot in B8 to take. 4-3 lead over VT.

I switched over after our game. Hard to watch. Hokie starter gets to the 8th with 128 pitches. Runners on first and second they still leave him in. Gives up a game-winning 2-run single and is beating himself up like he didn't just leave everything on the field. Poor kid.

At least UNC lost. 1 game lead!