Helluva Engineer
Duke sweeps Clemson.
UNC sweeps BC.
[Despite the way it appears here, GT owns tiebreaker over UNC]
20190421_165823.jpg

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Weekly guesses, no upsets as I'm in a hurry. All guesses assume all three games of course.:
  • #11 GT (9 rpi) @ VT (45 rpi). GT 2-1. Close due to weather. It is going to be cold (50F on Sat & Sun if we play.)
  • #23 Miami (18) @#8 LVille (4). LVille 2-1 or better. LVille is coming alive.
  • FSU (62) @ UVa (96). FSU 2-1. UVa is in too much of a downturn to pick them. FSU trying to make NCAAs. I hope but don't see UVa taking series.
  • #9 NC State (22) @ WF (84). NC State 2-1 or better. My guess is NC State will resurrect.
  • Duke (72) @#24 Clemson (24). Clemson 2-1. Duke has some good pitching and should win at least one.
  • ND (121) @ Pitt (220). ND 2-1. Pitt is not good. ND is less worse.
  • BC (66)@#17 UNC (20). UNC 2-1. UNC has talent and is at home.

5 of 7 again going with the favorites. Looking at the two which were wrong, I'd pick the same way if they were to play this weekend. It's baseball.
  • #11 GT (9 rpi) @ VT (45 rpi). GT 2-1. GT 2-1. Close due to weather. It is going to be cold (50F on Sat & Sun if we play.) I was right about close and weather. Freaking 3 games were all close. Pretty sure VT is now out of the NCAAs unless they sweep @ Miami, BC and UVa. Won't happen. That leaves winning the ACC Tourney, but they don't have the pitching or power to do that.
  • #23 Miami (18) @#8 LVille (4). LVille 2-1 or better. L'Ville 2-1. Our series win there is bigger and bigger. Damn, if had bee a sweep ...... Next year Miami should be favored in Coastal given how young they are. LVille is coming alive.
  • FSU (62) @ UVa (96). FSU 2-1. FSU 2-1. Bad, not good enough for FSU who is at a 66 rpi. The runway is running out for them ....... will take the NCAA tourney win to get in probably. UVa is out without an ACC Tourney win. UVa is in too much of a downturn to pick them. FSU trying to make NCAAs. I hope but don't see UVa taking series.
  • #9 NC State (22) @ WF (84). NC State 2-1 or better. WF 2-1. NC State crapped the bed 8-9 today giving up a 2 run lead in the 7th. I thought their pitching depth was better. Oh well, another shooting star. My guess is NC State will resurrect.
  • Duke (72) @#24 Clemson (24). Clemson 2-1. Clemson 0-3. Two losses by 1 run. Both losses with Duke scoring in the ninth. Clemsoning season. The Duke pitching didn't win it giving up 8 runs twice, it was Duke Power (oxymoron). Duke has some good pitching and should win at least one.
  • ND (121) @ Pitt (220). ND 2-1. ND 2-1. Yawn. Pitt is not good. ND is less worse.
  • BC (66)@#17 UNC (20). UNC 2-1. UNC 3-0. Took 2 11 inning wins, but UNC KNOWS how to win. Our series win looks really good now. UNC has talent and is at home.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
With an eye toward the ACC Tournament and looking at the ACC standings, here are some thoughts:
- Big advantage to be one of the top 4 seeds (i.e top seed in your assigned pool...there are 3 teams per pool). IF you are top seed in your pool and pool play results in 3-way tie (all 3 teams 1-1), the top seed gets through to the semi-final round. [Note: I do not believe this has happened in ACCT since going to 4 pool format. So far, there has always been a 2-0 team in each pool... never the 3 x 1-1 situation]
- How are we looking re: Top 4 seed? Good news... if tourney started today we'd be #2 overall seed as Coastal Champs (current record 13-8). The reality...there are 9 ACC teams with 11 or more wins. Plenty of baseball left.
- Without noodling through all the tiebreaker scenarios... I think it is fair to say we care the most about the following to improve our chances of favorable tiebreaker stuff: 1) Louisville continuing to win ACC games; 2) Miami losing ACC games; 3) Ga Tech needs to go 5-1 (or better) v Duke/Pitt...we will suffer in just about any 3-way tiebreaker scenarios (involving Miami...and we lose 2-way with them) within Coastal if we do not sweep a Coastal opponent. Basically.. UNC and Miami have better Coastal winning % right now... we need to improve ours.
- Winning series v Clemson is pretty important too... If we fail to 'win' Coastal, thus not locking into the #2 seed, the Atlantic is in position to be #1, #3, #4 seeds. Need the head-to-head advantage over Clemson if it comes to that (tie-break with Clemson).
- The obvious is pull for both Miami and UNC to lose. I expect the Coastal to be won on the final weekend. Quite possible/likely Ga Tech will enter that weekend (v Pitt) neck/neck with UNC who play NCST in Chapel Hill.
- It still seems 19-11 (for Ga Tech) should be enough to win Coastal. That is a finish of 6-3 (v Clem, at Duke, v Pitt). Need to go 7-2 IF: 1) You think UNC can go 7-2 (v UVA, at Pitt, NCST); and/or 2) You think Miami can go 8-1 (v VT, at WF, v Duke).

Just for some happy context. Last year at this time... we'd just been swept by UNC and were 9-12 in the ACC and discussing what was best place to end up for ACCT (#8 seed was the top end thought...which we actually managed to reach).

Go JACKETS... just win!

Deleted member 2897

With an eye toward the ACC Tournament and looking at the ACC standings, here are some thoughts:
- Big advantage to be one of the top 4 seeds (i.e top seed in your assigned pool...there are 3 teams per pool). IF you are top seed in your pool and pool play results in 3-way tie (all 3 teams 1-1), the top seed gets through to the semi-final round. [Note: I do not believe this has happened in ACCT since going to 4 pool format. So far, there has always been a 2-0 team in each pool... never the 3 x 1-1 situation]
- How are we looking re: Top 4 seed? Good news... if tourney started today we'd be #2 overall seed as Coastal Champs (current record 13-8). The reality...there are 9 ACC teams with 11 or more wins. Plenty of baseball left.
- Without noodling through all the tiebreaker scenarios... I think it is fair to say we care the most about the following to improve our chances of favorable tiebreaker stuff: 1) Louisville continuing to win ACC games; 2) Miami losing ACC games; 3) Ga Tech needs to go 5-1 (or better) v Duke/Pitt...we will suffer in just about any 3-way tiebreaker scenarios (involving Miami...and we lose 2-way with them) within Coastal if we do not sweep a Coastal opponent. Basically.. UNC and Miami have better Coastal winning % right now... we need to improve ours.
- Winning series v Clemson is pretty important too... If we fail to 'win' Coastal, thus not locking into the #2 seed, the Atlantic is in position to be #1, #3, #4 seeds. Need the head-to-head advantage over Clemson if it comes to that (tie-break with Clemson).
- The obvious is pull for both Miami and UNC to lose. I expect the Coastal to be won on the final weekend. Quite possible/likely Ga Tech will enter that weekend (v Pitt) neck/neck with UNC who play NCST in Chapel Hill.
- It still seems 19-11 (for Ga Tech) should be enough to win Coastal. That is a finish of 6-3 (v Clem, at Duke, v Pitt). Need to go 7-2 IF: 1) You think UNC can go 7-2 (v UVA, at Pitt, NCST); and/or 2) You think Miami can go 8-1 (v VT, at WF, v Duke).

Just for some happy context. Last year at this time... we'd just been swept by UNC and were 9-12 in the ACC and discussing what was best place to end up for ACCT (#8 seed was the top end thought...which we actually managed to reach).

Go JACKETS... just win!

No sweeps against VT, BC, ND, etc is hurting. The “funny” thing is even if we had beat Miami, we’d still pretty much be doing the same analysis. Crazy isn’t it - that you could win every series the entire season yet have a team finish ahead of you.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
No sweeps against VT, BC, ND, etc is hurting. The “funny” thing is even if we had beat Miami, we’d still pretty much be doing the same analysis. Crazy isn’t it - that you could win every series the entire season yet have a team finish ahead of you.
But it's a good problem to have. It's nice seeing GT up there with the UNC's of the World. I still think we take this division

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
If we fail to 'win' Coastal, thus not locking into the #2 seed, the Atlantic is in position to be #1, #3, #4 seeds.

I haven't looked at the Atlantic frontrunners' remaining schedules, but are we sure about this? As of right now, Louisville is the clear 1 seed at 15-6, but Tech, UNC, and NCSU are the next three, all tied at 13-8. That's 2 top seeds from each division.

I think if UNC edges us out with a big weekend against State, we can hold serve and still be the 4 seed if we finish 6-3 in conference.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I haven't looked at the Atlantic frontrunners' remaining schedules, but are we sure about this? As of right now, Louisville is the clear 1 seed at 15-6, but Tech, UNC, and NCSU are the next three, all tied at 13-8. That's 2 top seeds from each division.

I think if UNC edges us out with a big weekend against State, we can hold serve and still be the 4 seed if we finish 6-3 in conference.
That's fair. Perhaps I'm stuck back in the early weeks of season when Atlantic was more clearly better.

...but you are right, have 2 Atl & 2 Coastal teams making up top 4 is certainly in play.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The rest of our season depends on Hurter's health. One key injury could derail us....it has a knock-on effect that hurts.

You'll know if Brant Hurter is hurt by who starts tomorrow. I'm by no means an expert in coaching, but if Willingham doesn't start then my guess is Hurter is out of this weekened's rotation.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

Go JACKETS... just win!
With the recent "emergence" of Duke, and the recent regression of NCSU, it seems like on paper UNC has the inside track on the coastal to me. I don't like the way the Duke series is setting up for us. Of course, if we dont take care of CU, then Duke series could be "moot". Best solution is to just "win 'em all".

We likely get some help in that Miami vs Duke, NCSU vs Clemson, and FSU vs Louisville should all be pretty competitive and somebody has to lose those series and will be pushed further down the ladder.

Finishing with 3 at home vs Pitt is our Ace in the hole.

Deleted member 2897

With the recent "emergence" of Duke, and the recent regression of NCSU, it seems like on paper UNC has the inside track on the coastal to me. I don't like the way the Duke series is setting up for us. Of course, if we dont take care of CU, then Duke series could be "moot". Best solution is to just "win 'em all".

We likely get some help in that Miami vs Duke, NCSU vs Clemson, and FSU vs Louisville should all be pretty competitive and somebody has to lose those series and will be pushed further down the ladder.

Finishing with 3 at home vs Pitt is our Ace in the hole.

On a side note, where did “ace in the hole” come from? You can’t shoot an ace without the ball being in the hole. It kind of reminds me of “grand slam homerun” - a bit of redundancy.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
On a side note, where did “ace in the hole” come from? You can’t shoot an ace without the ball being in the hole. It kind of reminds me of “grand slam homerun” - a bit of redundancy.

I don't think it has anything to do with balls, I think it comes from poker.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
“Junior RHP Tim Elliott(5-1, 1.52 ERA) will start versus Tech for the third time this season. He is 1-0 with a 2.38 ERA against the Yellow Jackets this year. In 11.1 IP he has allowed 4R, 3ER, 7H, 5BB and 13 K. Tech will counter with freshman right-hander Cort Roedig (1-1, 4.05 ERA). He will be making his fifth start of the year.”

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Winning in the ACC is more important than beating UGAG.

Right! My point being, we are saving the "older" starters for ACC play. Curry, Thomas, Hurter, Hughes, Willingham.
I could care less about the win against UGA this far into the season. Eye on the prize, the light at the end of tunnel theme.
We should start and use all our freshman staff against Georgia, all though it my be a blood bath, in that case just bring a towel.