2019 ACC Baseball Tourney

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't disagree that Hughes has really helped us this year. I have actually been extremely excited by the way he has pitched at times, but innings like the one today will cost you a game in the tournament. Those innings can't happen if we want to advance. It might seem harsh, but it's the truth. Pitch whoever is hot to keep advancing.

I try not to say negative things in these posts about individuals. I have failed for one player in particular this year and although I believe I was correct, it was unnecessary.

I think a large part of Hughes problem is he has been left in when he doesn't have his stuff. This macho idea that you make a pitcher work his way out of jams when he doesn't have his stuff is not the best thing for the team. Flush the performance and have him pitch again sooner rather than later. To Hall's credit, the last three games Hughes has pitched, in the first two he has been pulled after 4 hitters and today after 5 hitters when he didn't have his stuff. https://ramblinwreck.com/roster/jonathan-hughes/ (Of course, today I was calling for him to be pulled after 2 and Hall waited for 5 hitters.)

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Ok. This is officially "a thing" now. I know it doesn't matter now...as far as approach; but in post-game transcript, CDH repeats his contention that we had to win today (& Fri) to advance to semifinals. This really does bother me. Anyone willing to guess as to why the head coach would repeatedly say something so incorrect? Maybe he's the best troll of us all?

Q. In the tournament, the game doesn't weigh much, but obviously in terms of the NCAA Tournament and RPI it means something. I'm curious how you approach that particularly with how you want to use the bullpen and that sort of thing?
COACH HALL: We wanted to win this game. We feel like we need to win every game we're playing right now. We want to be playing our best baseball. One of the things we talk about as a team is winning an ACC championship. So we knew today, with Notre Dame losing last night, that we had to win this game to have a chance to play on Saturday.

And so that was the goal and we would have pitched whoever we needed to pitch to win this game so that the winner of our next game has a chance to play in the championship.

So right now that's our focus. We're just trying to win this tournament and play our best baseball.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=149963

This really bothers me too. This isn't coach speak, it's just flat-out wrong and makes you question his strategic decision-making ability.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Yeah that quote from CDH is a head scratcher. He starts out saying the right thing about wanting to win the game to maintain form and attitude and for NCAAT repercussions. Good things to say.

But even giving him the benefit of the doubt, that latter part is tough to interpret any way other than him flat-out not knowing the format of the tournament. Which is troubling. Because saving Willingham for Friday/Saturday was an option. In fact you could argue it would have been the smarter play in terms of winning the ACCT.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah that quote from CDH is a head scratcher. He starts out saying the right thing about wanting to win the game to maintain form and attitude and for NCAAT repercussions. Good things to say.

But even giving him the benefit of the doubt, that latter part is tough to interpret any way other than him flat-out not knowing the format of the tournament. Which is troubling. Because saving Willingham for Friday/Saturday was an option. In fact you could argue it would have been the smarter play in terms of winning the ACCT.
Perfectly put. I see it same way. Really strange.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.........So we knew today, with Notre Dame losing last night, that we had to win this game to have a chance to play on Saturday.........

I agree with Hall's sentiment that we really wanted to win this and every game especially late in the season.

You want to win every game but this statement is factually incorrect. Once is bad. Twice is worse.

......... Because saving Willingham for Friday/Saturday was an option. In fact you could argue it would have been the smarter play in terms of winning the ACCT.

I agree with you from a ACCT point of view. I don't agree from an rpi or National Seed point of view. Losing to ND would hurt our rpi more than making a closer contest or winning a Saturday game. Whoever we pitch Saturday is going to need a lot of run support. I'd love it if we are being sandbagged and X comes out.

We make it to Saturday and I think we are in the National Seed. Willingham is now ready for the first regional game. Win today and worry tomorrow about tomorrow.

Last edited:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I really think Hall is just trying to convince the players that they have to win every game from here on out. He doesn't want the players feeling like they can afford to lose another game.

Deleted member 2897

I try not to say negative things in these posts about individuals. I have failed for one player in particular this year and although I believe I was correct, it was unnecessary.

I think a large part of Hughes problem is he has been left in when he doesn't have his stuff. This macho idea that you make a pitcher work his way out of jams when he doesn't have his stuff is not the best thing for the team. Flush the performance and have him pitch again sooner rather than later. To Hall's credit, the last three games Hughes has pitched, in the first two he has been pulled after 4 hitters and today after 5 hitters when he didn't have his stuff. https://ramblinwreck.com/roster/jonathan-hughes/ (Of course, today I was calling for him to be pulled after 2 and Hall waited for 5 hitters.)

I agree. I’m not perfect on this either. But these guys deal with the Georgia Tech rigor on top of 50 hours a week on baseball. They sacrifice blood, sweat, and tears to represent Tech. We all just want the best for the team, which is all they want too.

I agree. I’m not perfect on this either. But these guys deal with the Georgia Tech rigor on top of 50 hours a week on baseball. They sacrifice blood, sweat, and tears to represent Tech. We all just want the best for the team, which is all they want too.

Can’t disagree with anything you said, but I do think that Hall has given him way too much rope to hang himself with.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
UVa tied it 2-2 versus unc. T8. Love to see UVa beat Miami too.

Just noticed that Miami doesn’t open up play until tomorrow. Meaning if the make the final it’ll be their 4th day playing in a row. That’ll be tough on the bullpen.

Things are setting up pretty darn well for us so far.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well, that is what he should say then. I don’t think anyone would disagree w/ that.
I took his statement a completely different way. He was insinuating if they didn’t have the desire to win today, they wouldn’t win Friday and therefore wouldn’t be playing on Saturday. I didn’t take it as an assessment of the format & what was required to advance but more his feelings about whether or not this team has it. I think it does.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Still alive to advance to semis:

#12 BC - Already in as Pool A winner

#4 MIA / #5 UNC - play Fri @ 3pm...to determine Pool D winner

#2 GT / #7 DUKE - play Fri @ 11am...to determine Pool B winner

#3 NCST / #10 WAKE - play today (Thurs) @ 7pm... to determine Pool C winner

Semis are:
Pool A v Pool D
Pool C v Pool B

I'd like Wake to win tonight. Should Tech advance, I'd rather avoid the large NCST crowd that'll show up on Sat.

Eliminated
#1 LOU
#6 FSU
#8 CLEM
#9 UVA
#11 ND

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In a perfect world yesterday, CDH would’ve had Hughes for the 7th, Bartnicki for the 8th, and Gibson for the 9th. They each would’ve thrown 12-18 pitches and been available for Friday. Hughes and Bartnicki went to the pen around the middle of the 5th and Gibson joined them in middle of 6th. Unfortunately it didn’t work out that way. Gibson will be out for Friday probably, but the other two should be available along with Carpenter, English, Winborne, Lee, and my guess is Curry as well.

Could CDH have pulled guys a little quicker at times, maybe, but as has been mentioned several times on here, it’s kind of a toss-up with which reliever is on or off on any given day.

Looking forward to Friday’s game with CT on the bump. Would be a huge win for us. Also, did anyone else realize since the ACC Tourney went to this format 2 seasons ago, we haven’t won a game until yesterday? We were 0-4 before the win yesterday.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVa tied it 2-2 versus unc. T8. Love to see UVa beat Miami too.

Kick in the nuts loss give-away by UVa. Should end their season with a 45 ri and losing (14-16) ACC record. First, the first UNC run was allowed by the ball going under the left fielders glove. Then here's the bottom of the 10th (in reverse order of course). I'm glad I went to bed at 10 and didn't stay up for this. Imagine our anguish if this had happened to end our season:
Roberts hit by pitch, RBI (0-1 S); Freeman advanced to second; Serretti advanced to third; Zarate scored.
Roberts pinch hit for Enwiller.
Freeman walked (3-1 BBSBB); Serretti advanced to second; Zarate advanced to third.
Serretti intentionally walked (2-1 BKB).
Zarate pinch ran for Sabato.
Sabato advanced to second on a wild pitch.

Ortiz, D. to p for Abbott, A.
Sabato walked (3-0 BBBB).
Busch flied out to cf (3-2 FFBBBFF).

Just noticed that Miami doesn’t open up play until tomorrow. Meaning if the make the final it’ll be their 4th day playing in a row. That’ll be tough on the bullpen.

Things are setting up pretty darn well for us so far.

Miami is one of the hottest team in the ACC right now. They started the season with massive talent but were young. They have grown up as the season has gone on.

While we have done better, we have lost Hurter and maybe X. I don't want to see them on Sunday, but if we do, they will have had to play 3 elimination games after today's rpi / seeding significant game. At #18 rpi, it would be a mistake to not try and win. They lose tomorrow too and they probably lose their hosting. They win today and they probably lock up a regional host.

......Also, did anyone else realize since the ACC Tourney went to this format 2 seasons ago, we haven’t won a game until yesterday? We were 0-4 before the win yesterday.

I think it was Wes Durham who said we are 1-9 in ACC tourney games before yesterday. 2014 is the last time we won an ACC Tourney game. That year was the last we went to the NCAAs and the only way we got in was by winning the ACC Tourney. So yes, painfully so.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Miami is one of the hottest team in the ACC right now. They started the season with massive talent but were young. They have grown up as the season has gone on.

While we have done better, we have lost Hurter and maybe X. I don't want to see them on Sunday, but if we do, they will have had to play 3 elimination games after today's rpi / seeding significant game. At #18 rpi, it would be a mistake to not try and win. They lose tomorrow too and they probably lose their hosting. They win today and they probably lock up a regional host.
Didn’t Miami lose some pitching too? At one point I think they were down two weekend starters. Did they get either back?

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
From the box score, looks like the Clemson pitcher is perfect through 7 innings.
Welp, you jinxed him. Walked the second batter in the 8th. Still got the no-no going through 8 though.

ETA: And I double-jinxed him. Gave up a dinger on the first pitch of the 9th.

Last edited: