2019 ACC Baseball Tourney

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Nice win. Excellent start from Willingham and Gibson has really found something out of the pen. Hughes doesn't need to see the field again this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hey... don't throw water on @bwelbo's fire. This is too entertaining.

How can a game that is completely meaningless matter in determining a national seed? I mean, I know what you mean, and I know you are right - this is just a rhetorical question to the committee for why it would have any bearing whatsoever. Because it shouldn't. Its basically an exhibition.

Just catching up. We are a **** hair away from being in or out of the National Seed. Every game, especially late in the season matters. Right now we are #10 rpi. 7 points behind Texas Tech and 30 behind L'Ville. We lose today and we would be 47 points worse or 54 and 77 behind. Still in 10th rpi but with the loss within 10 points of falling to 13th. It's that close.

These decisions about seeding aren't always rational. Why give people who want other teams in a reason to argue and *****? (I agree it shouldn't matter. Only you and I are perfect. :whistle:)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Biggest game of the year, Friday.

We've scored 45 runs in 4 games at this park. We play a team we played for 3 of those games. Duke knows we can put up crooked numbers seemingly at will. We have our 1st team All ACC pitcher in CT starting (I assume).

Finally, it will be the 40th win of the season....a spot in tournament semifinals. IMO that would lock up a top 8 seed in NCAA tournament.

Huge game. Just win!

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I’d be very surprised if CT isn’t on the mound Friday. Bummer that ND couldn’t get out of their own way on Tuesday (gave up something like 11 walks). Gotta think we would have saved CT for the semi if they had.

Willingham looked good. Feel better about him being a third starter if X returns.

Gibson is coming on too. Retired the last 8 batters after subbing into a serious jam.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Do you really need to say this about a gt player? Both he and his parents are dedicated tech supporters. He’s had good games before.
Yes I do. I've known him for a long time. He has not been effective over the last month and it seems like he has run out of steam. Hall needs to utilize him one batter at a time at most.

I’d be very surprised if CT isn’t on the mound Friday. Bummer that ND couldn’t get out of their own way on Tuesday (gave up something like 11 walks). Gotta think we would have saved CT for the semi if they had.

Willingham looked good. Feel better about him being a third starter if X returns.

Gibson is coming on too. Retired the last 8 batters after subbing into a serious jam.

Gibson has looked really good in his last couple outings. I wouldn’t mind seeing him starting on Sunday if we make it that far.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Listening to pre-game with CDH. It was recorded today so he knew who won last night. He just said “we know we have to win 2 games to get to the semi finals”. Com’on coach, surely you know that isn’t the case. I mean I know coach speak and all, but saying that just looks “unaware” at best. I sure hope he isn’t coaching with the philosophy we have to win 2 to get to the semis.
Ok. This is officially "a thing" now. I know it doesn't matter now...as far as approach; but in post-game transcript, CDH repeats his contention that we had to win today (& Fri) to advance to semifinals. This really does bother me. Anyone willing to guess as to why the head coach would repeatedly say something so incorrect? Maybe he's the best troll of us all?

Q. In the tournament, the game doesn't weigh much, but obviously in terms of the NCAA Tournament and RPI it means something. I'm curious how you approach that particularly with how you want to use the bullpen and that sort of thing?
COACH HALL: We wanted to win this game. We feel like we need to win every game we're playing right now. We want to be playing our best baseball. One of the things we talk about as a team is winning an ACC championship. So we knew today, with Notre Dame losing last night, that we had to win this game to have a chance to play on Saturday.

And so that was the goal and we would have pitched whoever we needed to pitch to win this game so that the winner of our next game has a chance to play in the championship.

So right now that's our focus. We're just trying to win this tournament and play our best baseball.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=149963

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I respectfully disagree aboutHughes....he has had his moments for us this year, and iirc, he pitched decently against both Mercer and Pitt last week. He does seem to be either very good or....the opposite....so I think we ought to have a quick hook with him.

Gibson has indeed been encouraging.

Bug game Friday. I hope the guys pull through. I am mildly worried that our big three in the middle of the order have gone cold the last three games....let’shope They break out soon.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Just remember - this game is completely 100% irrelevant to advancing in the ACC Tournament, which is what matters.
This format is completely stupid! It was no more than an exhibition game in the middle of a tournament. If you gonna play 12 teams in a 4 pool tournament, the 2 lower seeded teams should play for the chance to play the highest rated team to determine the winner of the pool.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I respectfully disagree aboutHughes....he has had his moments for us this year, and iirc, he pitched decently against both Mercer and Pitt last week. He does seem to be either very good or....the opposite....so I think we ought to have a quick hook with him.

Gibson has indeed been encouraging.

Bug game Friday. I hope the guys pull through. I am mildly worried that our big three in the middle of the order have gone cold the last three games....let’shope They break out soon.
I don't disagree that Hughes has really helped us this year. I have actually been extremely excited by the way he has pitched at times, but innings like the one today will cost you a game in the tournament. Those innings can't happen if we want to advance. It might seem harsh, but it's the truth. Pitch whoever is hot to keep advancing.

Deleted member 2897

I went into the gameday app to look up some stats - it says we lost 9-3 LOL. Sad.

NW GA JACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
No disrespect to anyone , but like I have posted on here before NO pitcher in the history of the game is on every outing. It ain’t easy folks. WE WON. And it does mean something. We are chasing a top 8 seed. That’s what CDH is saying GO JACKETS.

I don't disagree that Hughes has really helped us this year. I have actually been extremely excited by the way he has pitched at times, but innings like the one today will cost you a game in the tournament. Those innings can't happen if we want to advance. It might seem harsh, but it's the truth. Pitch whoever is hot to keep advancing.

Hughes just has a big problem with giving up walks. I keep thinking back to his incredible meltdown in the 9th up at Louisville after striking out the first 2 batters. At this point, I would pull him after his first walk.