2019 ACC Baseball Tourney

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
In what world is it acceptable for BC to be the “home” team in a game against Louisville? Higher seed should always be designated as the home team. What’s the point of playing three months of ACC games if the lowest seed in tournament gets the home half vs the number one seed? I hope Duke isn’t the home team for our game against them in their own park no less.
I do not understand this either. They allow every team to be home for 1 game & away for 1 game in pool play. If pattern holds. Tech is visitor today & home v Duke on Fri. I am pretty sure Sat & Sun is based on seed. Home team is higher seed.

Deleted member 2897

I do not understand this either. They allow every team to be home for 1 game & away for 1 game in pool play. If pattern holds. Tech is visitor today & home v Duke on Fri. I am pretty sure Sat & Sun is based on seed. Home team is higher seed.

Yup, just more fuel that this format is completely stupid. The better seed should ALWAYS be the home team in a pool play format, even if its twice in a row (like against Notre Dame and Duke for us). You deserve to get some benefit for being the higher seed. Next, teams like us should get a Bye and only play the winner of the first round of games. Its completely ridiculous to play games that have no bearing on anything. We shouldn't lift a finger today to risk getting hurt when the only thing that matters in terms of moving on is beating Duke tomorrow. Can you imagine in the NCAA basketball tournament if a #1 seed had to play BOTH 16s that had to play each other in a play-in game, but only the game against who won would determine their ability to move on to the round of 32. THIS IS INSANE.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

It appears that in pool play, they allow each team to be home in one game. If they want to do that, it does make sense to have the top seed be visitor in the bottom seed game and home in the middle seed game. The highest seed would probably want to be the home team in the game that matters. If you were guessing before the tournament, then you would likely believe that the middle seed would beat the lowest seed.

Maybe it would be better to not set the home/away designation in the later games until the lower seeds play. Then the highest seed could be home against the winner and away against the loser.

Deleted member 2897

All of these things I'm laughing at (irrelevant games, the top seed having to be the away team, the lower seed getting an extra day off before playing the higher seed) - is it any wonder we have so much chaos in our tournament? Helping a marginal ACC team squeak into the NCAA tournament is a lot less valuable to the conference than helping the top 1-2 teams solidify Super Regionals. If the SEC gets 4 of the 8 super regionals and Louisville and Georgia Tech don't get one, I hope the ACC central office is happy. We should be giving a ton of teams a CHANCE to get more wins, but you have to win. You shouldn't be required to have multiple chances at wins at the expense of the good teams.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yup, just more fuel that this format is completely stupid. The better seed should ALWAYS be the home team in a pool play format, even if its twice in a row (like against Notre Dame and Duke for us). You deserve to get some benefit for being the higher seed. Next, teams like us should get a Bye and only play the winner of the first round of games. Its completely ridiculous to play games that have no bearing on anything. We shouldn't lift a finger today to risk getting hurt when the only thing that matters in terms of moving on is beating Duke tomorrow. Can you imagine in the NCAA basketball tournament if a #1 seed had to play BOTH 16s that had to play each other in a play-in game, but only the game against who won would determine their ability to move on to the round of 32. THIS IS INSANE.
Love the passion, @bwelbo GET SOME!!!

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Listening to pre-game with CDH. It was recorded today so he knew who won last night. He just said “we know we have to win 2 games to get to the semi finals”. Com’on coach, surely you know that isn’t the case. I mean I know coach speak and all, but saying that just looks “unaware” at best. I sure hope he isn’t coaching with the philosophy we have to win 2 to get to the semis.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
All of these things I'm laughing at (irrelevant games, the top seed having to be the away team, the lower seed getting an extra day off before playing the higher seed) - is it any wonder we have so much chaos in our tournament? Helping a marginal ACC team squeak into the NCAA tournament is a lot less valuable to the conference than helping the top 1-2 teams solidify Super Regionals. If the SEC gets 4 of the 8 super regionals and Louisville and Georgia Tech don't get one, I hope the ACC central office is happy. We should be giving a ton of teams a CHANCE to get more wins, but you have to win. You shouldn't be required to have multiple chances at wins at the expense of the good teams.
The fix is in re SEC tournament. Chalk so far. It's the WWE over there.

Deleted member 2897

Listening to pre-game with CDH. It was recorded today so he knew who won last night. He just said “we know we have to win 2 games to get to the semi finals”. Com’on coach, surely you know that isn’t the case. I mean I know coach speak and all, but saying that just looks “unaware” at best. I sure hope he isn’t coaching with the philosophy we have to win 2 to get to the semis.

I don't even know what to say about such a comment. Maybe they're just pretending they have to win twice. But if you over pretend and you lose today, then you'll think you're actually out when in reality your tournament hasn't even started yet. Weird.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow. I hope that was just a slip of the tongue. Wiley even said it in formulating the question.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Just coach speak to me. Given we are 1-9 in recent ACC tourneys according to the announcers, we should be aiming to win everyone. Never take your foot off the pedal.

Not a good start offensively for us. Get a hit and then three outs. No deep counts.

ND gets a single and then passed ball on McCann to advance runner. We are going to need some runs. Willingham not sharp.

Sac fly to warning track advances runner. Could easily have been a HR but luckily wasn't.

To get game on Sling ACC Network, I had to go to my VPN and say I was in a different region since it was blacked out?????? in Virginia.

ND sac GO to go ahead 1-0. Good baseball by ND.

Going to chat.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Just remember - this game is completely 100% irrelevant to advancing in the ACC Tournament, which is what matters.

Deleted member 2897

It is absolutely NOT irrelevant in determining if we get a National Seed. Critical for that....

How can a game that is completely meaningless matter in determining a national seed? I mean, I know what you mean, and I know you are right - this is just a rhetorical question to the committee for why it would have any bearing whatsoever. Because it shouldn't. Its basically an exhibition.

Deleted member 2897

Hey... don't throw water on @bwelbo's fire. This is too entertaining.

Fred is like:
giphy.gif

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if the NC State/WF game has any bearing on our starter for Friday. I doubt it will, but it’s an interesting scenario knowing who you’ll face Saturday and which game is technically against a more difficult opponent.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Just remember - this game is completely 100% irrelevant to advancing in the ACC Tournament, which is what matters.
What are the tiebreakers? If we lost today and won tomorrow it would be a 3 way tie at 1-1 with everyone winning against each other. Shouldn’t it matter?