2019 ACC Baseball Tourney

Deleted member 2897

Yep. I think I'm partial to FSU this year. Mike Martin's last game(?)... we have our [not so] secret weapon in Coach Ramsey who coached their last year. Plus... don't want a ballpark full of opposing team's fans (the NCST scenario)

But... I am clearly getting way ahead of myself.

Also... trivial tidbit. We've covered the big advantage of being the top seed in your pool. Despite that...over the 2 years/tournaments where this format was used, the pools' highest seeds have advanced to semis only 2 times. It was the #2 both times. #1,#3,#4 seeds have not won their respective pools either year ('17 or '18) & #2 has never been beaten in pool play.

Yup, it’s a crazy game. Anybody can win a 1 game series.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Also... trivial tidbit. We've covered the big advantage of being the top seed in your pool. Despite that...over the 2 years/tournaments where this format was used, the pools' highest seeds have advanced to semis only 2 times. It was the #2 both times. #1,#3,#4 seeds have not won their respective pools either year ('17 or '18) & #2 has never been beaten in pool play.

Hmmm, good omen...or did you just jinx us? LOL

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
If ND can pull through and UVA wins tomorrow, all pools would be determined by the end of the third day. Friday would be a day of useless games.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If ND can pull through and UVA wins tomorrow, all pools would be determined by the end of the third day. Friday would be a day of useless games.
There are 12 games in pool play for this format. It will always produces 4 (& exactly 4) pool games that have no bearing on who advances to the semi-finals on Sat. That means it will have exactly 8 games that do have bearing. If all 3 Friday happen to in the former category that would be a statistical anomaly; but would mean 8 (of 9) games in the 1st 3 days of the tournament do factor into who advances.

I intentionally avoid the words "meaningless" or "useless" ...but I get why others use them. My reason is those games will matter to teams like FSU & Clemson (who are already part of such games)....they could factor significantly into their regional slots... & in some cases for actually getting a bid at all.

Bringing it to Ga Tech. Let's say DUKE wins tonight. Is Tech's game v ND tomorrow meaningless? I say no... we need all the W's we can get. This applies to at least 10 teams in this tournament.

Deleted member 2897

There are 12 games in pool play for this format. It will always produces 4 (& exactly 4) pool games that have no bearing on who advances to the semi-finals on Sat. That means it will have exactly 8 games that do have bearing. If all 3 Friday happen to in the former category that would be a statistical anomaly; but would mean 8 (of 9) games in the 1st 3 days of the tournament do factor into who advances.

I intentionally avoid the words "meaningless" or "useless" ...but I get why others use them. My reason is those games will matter to teams like FSU & Clemson (who are already part of such games)....they could factor significantly into their regional slots... & in some cases for actually getting a bid at all.

Bringing it to Ga Tech. Let's say DUKE wins tonight. Is Tech's game v ND tomorrow meaningless? I say no... we need all the W's we can get. This applies to at least 10 teams in this tournament.

But that’s part of why I think this pool format is stupid. If Duke wins, WE SHOULDNT EVEN PLAY TOMORROW. ND would already be eliminated. We should then get a Bye and play Duke to see who advances.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer

Yeah I use useless in the sense of the ACC tournament. I get why they have the extra games because it gives teams a chance to add a few wins to make the regionals, but it really only benefits the bottom and middle teams. If Duke wins, Tech gains nothing by beating ND. It’s a Q4 team that we are expected to beat, but losing likely cost us a national seed unless we make the championship game. Personally I think the format should be the top four seeds get byes, and just play the winner of the first game.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
But that’s part of why I think this pool format is stupid. If Duke wins, WE SHOULDNT EVEN PLAY TOMORROW. ND would already be eliminated. We should then get a Bye and play Duke to see who advances.
Yeah I use useless in the sense of the ACC tournament. I get why they have the extra games because it gives teams a chance to add a few wins to make the regionals, but it really only benefits the bottom and middle teams. If Duke wins, Tech gains nothing by beating ND. It’s a Q4 team that we are expected to beat, but losing likely cost us a national seed unless we make the championship game. Personally I think the format should be the top four seeds get byes, and just play the winner of the first game.
I am not a big fan of the format myself. But if you are the ACC, you want to put on a tournament that balances several competing priorities... in no particular order:
1) No more than 4 games played by a team over the 6 days.
2) Leave out no NCAA bid "potential" teams. That usually means 10+ teams.
3) Give teams more than a single game
to help resume.
4) Attract fans... this is why format produces Sat semi-finals (previous format had pool play thru Sat & no Semifinals round).

You guys are right... the format has a lot left to be desired. @Southpawmac probably points out the most egregious. Top seeds (like Tech) end up in a no-win game that can only hurt them wrt committee/ RPI.

The SEC has a 12 team tournament. I think I like their format better... but it fails short in some ways too. Namely IIRC... a team can be required to play 6 games to win it. That's too many in my opinion.

Deleted member 2897

So if Duke wins, we should literally not play anybody tomorrow. It should be called an exhibition and not count towards RPI or anything. I mean who the hell do you play? Normal people and then pull them after 4 innings? So if we win, great...but if we lose we can argue we pulled everyone early because the game didn’t matter? The whole thing is ridiculously pointless.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
ND has climbed back into the game down 5-7 B6. ND is on their 3rd pitcher and has given up 6 hits and 10 walks (lots of pitches).